AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Intel Motherboards & CPUs

Intel Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on INTEL products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 9th May, 2005, 12:08 AM

Send a message via AIM to djXternal Send a message via MSN to djXternal Send a message via Yahoo to djXternal

Mobile vs. P4

Which processor will run faster stock the Pentium Mobile or The P4?
Old 9th May, 2005, 12:16 AM
Member/Contributer

Thats a bit of an apples to oranges question

Clock for clock a P-M wee's from a great height over any processor, Athlon 64 FX included, so it depends what clock speed you are comparing to what, a good rule of thumb is the P-M is about as fast as a P4 clocked 2x the speed'ish

A Pentium M overclocked to 2.6-2.8ghz is faster than any other chip there is, even in P4 territory like media encoding and at the same time they are a piece of cake to cool, needing only a small heatsink and minimal airflow

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 9th May, 2005, 01:59 AM

Send a message via AIM to djXternal Send a message via MSN to djXternal Send a message via Yahoo to djXternal

alright thanks for the help
Old 9th May, 2005, 04:13 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Please pardon my ignorance. What kind of motherboard is neded to run a Pentium M? I doubt that you can drop one into any old socket featured on Intel compatible desktop m'boards.
Old 9th May, 2005, 04:17 PM
Member/Contributer

Yeah they need socket 479 boards with i855 chipsets, there is an Aopen and DFI board available for these.

Asus has just released a convertor for S478, though I don't know if they work with boards other than from asus, but it does give higher bus speeds and dual channel memory which makes them unbeatable in performance.

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 9th May, 2005, 04:26 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Only two "regular" mainboards available? Ouch. And there are no Asus m'boards for Asus's "Slocket?"

Are the boards for the P-M that Aopen and DFI make a regular form factor like ATX or Micro-ATX? Or are they Small Form Factor or even smaller?
Old 9th May, 2005, 05:20 PM
Member/Contributer

the Aopen and DFI i855 chipset boards are just mATX not SFF, they are a total waste of money once the adaptor comes out, its $50(adaptor included) cheaper at least, and they support dual channel and all the other great things i865/i875 bring to the table. I'm certain that Asus will even put one of thier mATX boards on the compat list just so that they can even keep the purpose of the pentium M to mobile. My bitch is the mounting methodology prevents normal heatsink and waterblock mounting *sigh*
Old 9th May, 2005, 06:44 PM
Member/Contributer

I think there are some SFF box's availble as well, I know there is an Aopen box

http://www.sfftech.com/showdocs.cfm?aid=666

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Old 16th May, 2005, 09:01 PM

From what iv heard the adapter is prety good, its now also supported on the p4c800 which is one of hte great s478 board. Keep in mind that the the adapter isnt incompatible with any other 478 board, just that there is no bios for any other ones.
ASUS P4P800-SE
SONY D9+DVD+/-RW
WD Raptor 74 gig 10k rpm
EVGA Nivida GeForce FX 5200 w/Personal Cinema
DYNAPOWER ATX case 86B2 w/430 watt PSU
Kingwin Artic Liquid Cooler AWC-1
Artic Silver 5
Old 16th May, 2005, 09:21 PM
Member/Contributer

With the turion64 out though it makes it a bit redundant

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah