AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Intel Motherboards & CPUs

Intel Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on INTEL products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 16th May, 2005, 08:23 PM
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to calgar Send a message via AIM to calgar Send a message via MSN to calgar Send a message via Yahoo to calgar

how much cooling do P2s need

well, im building (soon) a dual P2 server machine to use as a basic ftp and possible a game hoast, anway i dont know what sorta cooling a P2 needs, the two (yes, they are matched steppings ) i have currently have big passive what i think are alu coolers on them, now how many case fans will i need to cool this sorta thing? and would it be worth adding fans to the coolers?

btw: im trying to make this as quite as possible

btw2: im using slot 1 400mhz phillipines core P2s
Old 16th May, 2005, 09:29 PM
Member/Contributer

They're deschutes cores which means 0.25micron at either 2V or 2.2V, not sure which and they only put out about 25W so not a problem to cool.

They shouldn't be too tough to cool, I have a linux router based on a 400mhz mendicino which only differs in having ondie cache and it's fine with just a passive heatsink and the psu fan, though the psu in that does have a vented case on the section above the cpu, with a regular psu that isn't vented a case fan would probably be best

I would say your best bet is a single quiet exhaust fan, you might even be able to get away with just removing the psu's casing to draw air thorugh that, I'd seal up any other holes in the case apart from near the bottom front of the case to allow air in though

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 16th May, 2005, 09:41 PM
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to calgar Send a message via AIM to calgar Send a message via MSN to calgar Send a message via Yahoo to calgar

ok

but im sure they say phillipines on them.......

thanks anyway
Old 16th May, 2005, 09:57 PM
Member/Contributer

phillipines is where they were produced, it won't mention the core on them but there were two PII cores, Klamoth and Deschutes, Klamoth cores a 233-300mhz, deschutes cores are 333-450mhz, the Klamoth got quite hot but the deschutes was a good cool running little core

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 16th May, 2005, 10:09 PM
Banned

heh, ok thankies for that, for some reason when it said phillipines on top of the proc i thought that was the core name

meh, i kinda dont know much about pentium processors, i like switched to AMD after having a pentium MMX
Old 17th May, 2005, 12:13 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

MMX, that was a while ago! Best of luck with your new Server!