AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Intel Motherboards & CPUs

Intel Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on INTEL products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 31st August, 2005, 12:37 AM

How to find MoBo that fits my Gateway

Hellow all, I'm going to get a new MoBo and processor, I would like it to be a PCIe , I have a Gateway 500se special and don't want to change my case($). How can I find a sure fit? I'm also getting a new graphics card (Apollo 6600PCX Geforce 6600GT 128MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16/ Core clock: 500MHz /Memory Clock: 1000MHz). I have a 400w power supply and use a Soundblaster Audigyzs soundcard, do you think I need more? Thanks for the help.
Old 31st August, 2005, 12:40 AM

I'm sorry I have a 845grg (Nimitz) MoBo now.
Old 31st August, 2005, 01:03 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Welcome to AOA's Forums, 64wad6!

Proprietary cases can make fitting a new standard form factor mainboard into them impossible. If the m'board in the Gateway box is a Micro-ATX form factor(they are square) you're probably in better luck than if it sports a proprietary ATX board to start off with. I suggest going to newegg.com and looking at both ATX and Micro-ATX mainboards. Check out the screw holes in them, then compare them to the present m'board inside the Gateway unit.

Sometimes you can get away without using one or two holes for the mounting screws for the replacement standard mobo, presupposing that the non standard standoffs can be folded or cut or electrically insulated so that they're not in the way.

The catch is that it's better to not have the new m'board flapping underneath the area where RAM modules are installed or replaced---and that a standard mainboard won't collide with hard drives or even the rear panel of the case.
Old 31st August, 2005, 01:33 AM

I'm pretty sure it's a Micro ATX, when I go to NewEgg if I pick out a MATX on the Intel compatible option and if it's about the same diminsions, one of the 845g option boards, I should be ok?
Old 31st August, 2005, 03:06 AM
Member/Contributer

If keeping the case is real important then if you're sure it's an mATX case you should be fine replacing it, as long as the LED/Switch connectors aren't all a single connector and connect independantly

But a new case needn't cost much

It sounds like you are putting together pretty much the foundations of an entire system, going for a new board, cpu, vid card, why not just plan an entire new system and then have both the gateway and the new one?

If you want pci-e then you're gonna need a new psu unless the current one is ATX V2.
If you go for an intel system and want pci-e then you will also need new memory.

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 31st August, 2005, 04:45 AM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Dell's are the only one I know of that mess with you... Proprietary: PSU connectors & case connecters.

Getting a mATX mobo is a safe way to upgrade your gateway. Given what you have in performance already, you are better off buying a quality ATX mobo, and a new case. It looks like you are trying to put together a decent gaming rig.... There are many choices for mATX mobos, but very few high end performance mobos.
Old 31st August, 2005, 03:00 PM

With regards to PCI-E, you could probably get away with a more recent non2.0 PSU, if you are running a budget card. You can get molex-PCI-e connectors.
But for a 6600GT I'd also get a new PSU. I don't think it's worth keeping the case.
A new case can cost just £35, for instance the Jeantech Phong or Aerocool JetMaster.
Even a Coolermaster Centurion 530 is only £50.
Then you could use KVM to hook both systems up to one set of keyboard, mouse and monitor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf2000me
Skinny people are not petite in every aspect of the body, let me tell you that
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsio
I was searching for a synonym for testicles that rhymed with hats

[/FONT]

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 31st August, 2005, 09:46 PM

Watch out for the I/O shield portion. If you're not comfortable with a pair of tin snips or a cutting wheel, make sure to pay close attention to the connections on the back of your new mobo, or make sure that your Gateway case has a removable shield. My old one did NOT, and man does that sucker have some sharp edges on it to this day. Lol
Old 1st September, 2005, 07:27 PM

The problem is I only have 350-400$ to play with at best. I want to cut cost were I can. I'd like to buy a new rig but I can't get the parts I want for the money I have. I'm going to get most of the stuff from NewEgg refurb dept.I found an intel 3.2Ghz processor with fan for 169$,I might have to get new power supply,with vid card and MoBo I'm allmost done $ wise. I might have to just wait, that memory revalation hurts. I'm so so sad.
Old 1st September, 2005, 09:16 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Most mATX cases use a mini sized PSU that is underpowered, typically 200w.

Make sure yours is a quality PSU, with lots of power at the 12v line, minimum 20A. Your video card choice sucks up the 12v line, and you need to make sure you have enough to spare to power the CPU, and all your drives.

Again, ATX gives you much more flexibility... choice of mobo, PSU, and more air flow for oc.

EDIT: don't get me wrong, I like mATX machines myself. I have an OC'd tbred@ 2.3ghz, and an A64 Venice @ 2.5ghz. However, if you are not careful, you will be disappointed and end up spending even more than you might have otherwize.... Basic rules, mATX PSUs are underpowered, mATX cases are lousy for air flow & overclocks, and mATX mobos have virtually no settings to tweak your system, let alone overclocks.... If you look hard enough and do your research, you can find good system components. Good luck with whatever you choose.
Old 2nd September, 2005, 02:23 AM

First off, the 3.2 P4....you can get a CPU cheaper than that and have a slight overclock. I really dont know your preference to well, but AMD makes good overclocking chips of late, that have better preformance for games and benchmarks at the same, or sometimes cheaper than what Intel costs.

So, if your going to have this money, and you want a new system...my best suggestion is to just wait a little longer, hold out....then get yourself a nice cheap little case, decent PSU and RAM.

Last edited by tiamat63; 2nd September, 2005 at 02:29 AM.
Old 2nd September, 2005, 02:32 AM

Send a message via AIM to Exile69 Send a message via MSN to Exile69

I agree. The AMD Venice 3000+ is a helluvan overclocker. You can also pick it up at Newegg for 150 bucks full retail. So save up and set yourself up for the long run.

AOA Team fah

Abit NF-M2 | XFX 8600GT | AM2 X2 3800+ | 2Gb G.Skill DDR2 800 | Aspire X-QPack | 250Gb Western Digital | Creative X-Fi + Logitech X530 5.1
Old 3rd September, 2005, 02:07 AM

I believe I've got the set up,thanks for all the help, I would have messed this one up but good. Here goes. DFI LANPARTY UT nF4 Ultra-D Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 Ultra ATX AMD Motherboard (OME)/AMD Athlon 64 3000+ Venice 1GHz FSB Socket 939 Processor Model/ Radeon X700PRO (refurbished)/Ultra Mid-T case (500w power supply)/Ballistix 184-pin DIMM DDR PC3200 (512MB). The only thing thats got me down is getting the cables I need for the OEM MoBo.
Old 13th September, 2005, 08:34 PM

That board should come with all the cables you need. Take a look.

http://www.dfi.com.tw/Product/xx_pro...YPE=LP&SITE=US

Machine #1
P4 Prescott 630 3.0GHz@3.51GHz (234X15)
Albatron PX915P PRO
2GB Patriot DDR400
256MB Gigabyte GeForce 6600 PCI Express
Seagate 160GB SATA HD
Zalman CNPS7700-CU CPU Cooler
Logisys 480W Dracula Case
Machine #2
P4 Prescott 3EGHz@3.51GHz (234X15)
Gigabyte GA-8IPE1000-G
2GB Kingston HyperX DDR400
256MB Chaintech SA5700L GeForce FX5700 LE AGP
Maxtor 120GB SATA HD
Thermaltake Sonic Tower CPU Cooler
Old 22nd September, 2005, 06:25 AM

Here's a link to an excellent power supply that can handle any of your current and future needs.
http://www.ocprices.com/index.php?re...ws&cat_id=1040
Intel 82875P Chipset
P4 478 3.0EGHz 800MHz FSB 1MB L2 HTT
2GB Corsair XMS PC3200 CL2 DDR 400 RAM
ATI Radeon X800XL AGP 8X 256mb
2x Samsung SP0812C SATA RAID 0 4K cluste
Toshiba TS-H92A CD-RW/DVD
Toshiba TS-H552B CD/DVDW
Viewsonic VA912b DVI/LCD Monitor
Altec Lansing 5.1 Surround Sound
Microsoft Wireless Intellimouse Explorer 2.0
Windows XP Pro SP3