AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Intel Motherboards & CPUs

Intel Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on INTEL products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 2nd September, 2005, 04:14 PM
Benchmarker

Send a message via Yahoo to chrisbard

Also look for the cache in the BIOS. Should be enabled!!!
I've heard that linux community came up with better implemented security in it's latest Linux Mint Gold version, it's actually preventing the user to log in, thus posing 0 risk in contamining the computer with malware! Well done to the open source community!

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 2nd September, 2005, 11:11 PM

I flashed the latest BIOS with failsafe settings and no difference, actually a little slower. I'm going to try for an OS install.
Old 3rd September, 2005, 01:05 AM
Steve Jobs

Try performance settings now.
Running Fedora 15 Linux (GNOME 3)
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Drivers, Games, Demos, Mods and Overclocking Tools At AOAFiles
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 3rd September, 2005, 05:55 AM

I did, it's the same as it was before. I haven't reinstalled the OS yet because that is a long and painful process and it's annoying to set up my RAID and redownload all the windows updates. I also reinstalled windows not too long ago to fix a problem. Is there anything else I can try?
Old 3rd September, 2005, 11:55 PM

Alright I am REALLY confused now. I overclocked my CPU 200 mhz to 3.0ghz (14 * 215) and my RAM to 572 mhz but my 3dmark05 score actually went DOWN to 2600. What is going on? I'm seriously considering the graphics card as the problem now. Is there any way to see if it is working correctly? I have a double life time warranty so replacing it is no problem.
Old 4th September, 2005, 12:06 AM

Send a message via AIM to Exile69 Send a message via MSN to Exile69

RMA the thing. Might wanna try a reinstall, no matter how painful, just to insure the next one you get won't have the same problems.

AOA Team fah

Abit NF-M2 | XFX 8600GT | AM2 X2 3800+ | 2Gb G.Skill DDR2 800 | Aspire X-QPack | 250Gb Western Digital | Creative X-Fi + Logitech X530 5.1
Old 4th September, 2005, 12:14 AM

Also I my PCmark04 scores went from 1400 to 1700 from for the CPU and 1100 to 1900 for the RAM. Battlefield 2 was alot smoother as well which confirms that the overclock helped. I'm gonna take a through look inside my computer to see what is going on.

The thing about the graphics card is that it performed the same as other 7800gts on all the theoretical tests... just not in a real gaming benchmark. So I have been hesitant to RMA it until I am sure it is not a problem with my computer.

Just out of curiosity, what would you guys consider a stable overclock for my processor?
Old 4th September, 2005, 12:20 AM

Is it possible that it could be something do with your PCI-E slot?

AOA Team fah

Abit NF-M2 | XFX 8600GT | AM2 X2 3800+ | 2Gb G.Skill DDR2 800 | Aspire X-QPack | 250Gb Western Digital | Creative X-Fi + Logitech X530 5.1
Old 4th September, 2005, 01:05 AM

I don't think so. Everything inside my rig looked fine. And my last graphics card performed to expectations so I doubt it has to do with pci exp. slot.
Old 4th September, 2005, 01:25 AM

Alright, I suggest a clean install of windows. Totally reformat, don't even use the quick format thing. Just nuke the sucker. If that doesn't work RMA it. That seems to me like the most effective route to solving the problem, even if it does involve time consuming program installs.

AOA Team fah

Old 4th September, 2005, 04:10 AM

Alright I'll just send all my important stuff to my downstairs computer I guess. I hate starting over though . But I do think that is a good strategy.
Old 4th September, 2005, 04:41 AM

i am no expert

did you try the fresh install of os?

i bet youll be ok. G/L
Old 4th September, 2005, 05:22 AM

It won't let me do a fresh install. It says I have some core kernel thing that's different than what the CD has (my sp2 cd). I'm guessing it is from the windows updates. I think I have to format. Besides I have a lot of a smaller problems that I don't mind getting rid of, and a fresh install won't fix them, I did a fresh install a few months ago.
Old 4th September, 2005, 07:22 AM
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Chesso

Backup all important data, and wipe that sucker clean. Then install, upgrade install's won't do you much good.
Old 5th September, 2005, 03:29 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to hoinar

Is your Raid setup working ok? Make a speed test with HD Tach and see if it's the expected result for it. You should be getting at least 70 MB/s. And another question: Where is your pagefile set up?
Old 6th September, 2005, 01:59 AM

My raid setup is great. My pagefile is set up on the C drive. I completely formatted the C drive and started over but performance is the exact same. I guess I should RMA the video card?

So none of you guys think the problem is my processor? Don't you think 1500 for the CPU test in 3dmark05 and a 1400 in PCmark04 is kinda low?

Or my RAM? I do get a fair ammount of slow downs in games and they seem to take longer to load than I would prefer.

Whatever it is, it's not my harddrive. That thing is really fast.

Last edited by prankster959; 6th September, 2005 at 04:18 AM.
Old 6th September, 2005, 09:41 AM

If you think it's something with your Ram or Cpu try the Sandra tests for mem and for Cpu and post them here.
Old 6th September, 2005, 12:32 PM
Steve Jobs

Its a bad windows installation. It really does need reinstalling.
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Old 6th September, 2005, 01:04 PM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsio
Its a bad windows installation. It really does need reinstalling.
Ok mate, you got me here...what's a bad win install?! I never heard of problems only because of a Win install...(I don't speak of bad drivers..or corrupted kits..or messing interrupts...or other hardware problems), and I work with Win since win 3.1 and never had problems just because of a win install.
Old 6th September, 2005, 01:27 PM
Steve Jobs

Driver conflicts and corruption that is impossible to recover from. Too many hardware chaged that have taken place on a machine, damaged registry, virus issues, bloated registry, all come under bad OS installs. I am not saying the installation process was bad, I am saying that the current installation, as opposed to the next installation is bad.

I have had problems like that many, many times. A clean OS will always perform better than an old and bloated one.
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah