AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Intel Motherboards & CPUs

Intel Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on INTEL products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 20th September, 2005, 02:05 AM
Steve Jobs

He used 3DMark 2001 SE to get those details. 3DMark2001 has issues reading cache sizes on newer CPUs, particularly those over 1MB. Not always mind you, but sometimes.

Furthermore, the videocard manufacturer ID in hex is definately Nvidia, and the PCI-ID in hex is also the 7800GT. The pixel shader and vertex shader methods used are correct for a 7800GT, operating in GF4 compatability in order to run a DX 8.1 benchmark.

The motherboard is definately what he says it is, as the several mobo diagnostic information sets would back up, meaning that he definately has a PCI-E slot, not an AGP.

This means that he definately owns an Nvidia PCI-E card, and given the Nvidia HDTV and Video decoder filters I can see he has, it is definately a 7 series, as neither a PCI-E FX nor a 6 series reports in that way.

There are easier ways to pull someone's leg than to create a 5 page in depth diagnostic file and fake everything from the PCI-ID hex codes to the pixel and vertex shader methods.

I have absolutely no reason to think he is telling lies at all.
Running Fedora 15 Linux (GNOME 3)
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Drivers, Games, Demos, Mods and Overclocking Tools At AOAFiles
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 20th September, 2005, 02:34 AM
Member/Contributor/Resident Crystal Ball

Um, sounds like throttling to me. However, ram usage @ 500mb while running that benchmark kinda points to a bit of memory bloat.

BTW, WZ, you needa 7800GTX, dude. Those cpu scores are great. I beat you in all the 3dmark tests, but not pcmark...
Old 20th September, 2005, 02:48 AM

Wow I can't believe people would think I would make this thread is a practical joke. If it's a joke it sure isn't very funny. Everest results are the 3rd page post 5. CPU Z results are here and have already been posted earlier if you look. The 3dmark compare service wasn't working for me.

Thanks dsio.
Old 20th September, 2005, 02:53 AM
Steve Jobs

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadaveca
Um, sounds like throttling to me. However, ram usage @ 500mb while running that benchmark kinda points to a bit of memory bloat.

BTW, WZ, you needa 7800GTX, dude. Those cpu scores are great. I beat you in all the 3dmark tests, but not pcmark...
Very interesting that you mention that, as I had not heard of the GT models having the same throttling issues the GTX had. Have you seen GTs throttle before?
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 20th September, 2005, 02:56 AM
Steve Jobs

Prankster, when you go to run benchmarks, are you going into the driver control panel, and turning AA anf AF off, and turning Vsync off?

Just have to check.

And also, are you using powerstrip, ATITool or Rivatuner with your card, or are you just using the driver control panel?
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Old 20th September, 2005, 03:36 AM

Nope, just the standard.
3dmark05 results

The compare program worked this time.

And yes all that extra stuff is off by default.

I really don't understand the term throttling. Could you explain?

You guys see what I mean when I say there might be something wrong with my processor? It gets a low score and does the whole thing at an average of a frame a second.
Old 20th September, 2005, 03:38 AM
Steve Jobs

Quote:
Originally Posted by prankster959
Nope, just the standard.
3dmark05 results

The compare program worked this time.

And yes all that extra stuff is off by default.
Mate, can you tell me exactly what Antialiasing and Aniso filtering you are using in the driver control panel, and also if Vsync is on?
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Old 20th September, 2005, 03:42 AM

Both are on Application-controlled. Vsync is off. Image settings is quality.
Old 20th September, 2005, 03:45 AM
Steve Jobs

ok, and just checking, you have no other video card utilities running, no rivatuner, no powerstrip, no ATITool, or anything else (even from the card manufactuter) that controls video card settings or gives video card information?

Try setting AA and AF to off, and image setting to high performance.

Are you using an LCD? and what is your screen resolution / refresh?
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Old 20th September, 2005, 04:01 AM

Both the G70 and the P4 have thermal throttling protection built-in to prevent overheating. The P4 especially, will slow itself down if it is getting too hot. I wasn't refering to his vid-card DSIO, but more to his cpu. the 1570 score in3dmark05 is VERY low.

Do you have any sort of temperture monitoring software installed?
Old 20th September, 2005, 05:03 AM

Yes I have a system monitor that came with my MSI motherboard. The CPU idles at around 55-65 and is 65-80(under 70 90% of the time) at full load which is pretty high from what I understand. It doesn't hit 80 very much, but it has happend once or twice during the summer. I usually turn it off if it's THAT hot.

Despite the temp being pretty high occasionally, nothing shows that it is underclocking itself, and I don't recall it ever being very good at 3dmark, even when it was brand new. But back then I had a crappy graphics card so it's hard to judge.

Yes I have an LCD(15 inch), the refresh rate is 60 hz, the resolution is 1024 by 768 which is its native resolution.

No video stuff, especially since I just erased my hard drive completely a few days ago.

Oh and the memory at 500 mb might be a bit bloated but I had been using some other stuff earlier that probably was still in there and I don't have a memory optimizer currently. Anyway the way I see it, memory is pointless if it is empty.

Last edited by prankster959; 20th September, 2005 at 05:08 AM.
Old 20th September, 2005, 06:24 AM

YOur processor is overheating, and slwoing itself down. re-application of thermal paste, and probbly clean out the bunnies outta the heatsink.

Anyway, your cpu ISN'T that great, and even were things in ideal working states, your cpu would be a big bottleneck. Even with hyperthreading, which not many games support.

memory usage should be as little as possible, as if the memory is full, this will cause the computer to use virtual memory, which is a space on you harddrive, which, becasue of harddrive's speed and such, and the extra steps to get there, is going to come with a big performance impact as well.
Old 20th September, 2005, 07:43 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to hoinar

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadaveca
Anyway, your cpu ISN'T that great, and even were things in ideal working states, your cpu would be a big bottleneck. Even with hyperthreading, which not many games support.
Mate! What do you mean by that?! I have a P4@2.8 Ghz and is acting great! I use it for work (i'm a developer), for gaming and for folding! And it never failed me! (Ok...it's a Northwood, but his looks stronger..)
Old 20th September, 2005, 08:15 AM

You've got to understand how fast his card really is tho. that CPU TOTALLY slows that card down.about 3.3-3.6ghz would be a nice match fora P-4, 7800GT, gaming system.
Old 20th September, 2005, 10:04 AM
Steve Jobs

Yea dave is 100% right there. Prescotts are bad enough for gaming as it is, but the bottom of the range slowing down is terrible.

80C out of a 2.8 has to be some sort of a record.
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Old 20th September, 2005, 05:46 PM

Unhappy

LOL , Definately ...
Dudes i´ve got a 3.2GhzE (478) , and runs at 43 Cº idle , and under 57Cº with heavy load , thx to a Gibabyte G-Power Cooler like this crap ->

http://images.google.pt/images?q=gig...ooler&hl=pt-PT

And a 135mm Power Fan 220Volts ..

So with 80ºs , not only hes slowing down ,but hes killing the capacitators , and the resistors of his mobo , due to his heating
Old 20th September, 2005, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weldzilla
Well Daniel he won't post anything. he says what he has but I see no cpu-z I see nothing but a bunch of NOTHING. Take a look at the specshe posted. He has the only Prescott processor with no level one cache and no SSE3. That is why I need to see specs from Sandra or Everest. I asked for them last week. I also have asked for his futuremark links. He posts none and they do not exist on the orb. I searched it. I AM DONE WITH THIS THREAD!!
Dude, chillout. Your judging the guy? Why?
You can't make demands and expect him to meet them Pronto!
Relax. Your on the internet. NEVER take anybody on the internet for their face value. Everybody acts differently through the net. You think I'd say this to your face?
I'd wet myself.
I agree with the CPU bottleneck. Your CPU is bottomrange. It's fine for normal tasks, hell, my Athlon 2400 performs your daily tasks just as quickly as my Athlon 64 3200.
But with games, the difference is multiplied hugely and this is where you need to upgrade.
More ram wouldn't go amiss either.

Good luck, I hope your system improves.
Old 21st September, 2005, 12:41 AM

Alright but other CPUs that are the same as mine usually score around 4000 in 3dmark05. And to get the most out of a 7800gt you really need an AMD fx processor but I should be getting alot more out of it then I am.

If I do buy another CPU, the first thing on the list will be getting a nice cooler and thermal paste. And I've never needed virtual memory unless I'm burning a dvd or something. I know this because if I ctrl alt del while in a game it only shows 700mb being used at the most out of the 1000.
Old 21st September, 2005, 01:10 AM

OK, i don't know what i'm yaking about at all.

There will be some applications that will use more, most notibly video and picture editing, and some of the newer games.

Regardless, remove your heatsink, clean it off, and replace the thermal goop with a thin layer of Artic Silver or ARtic Ceramique, and alot of the performance issues you are having with your current system should be fixed.
Old 21st September, 2005, 01:29 AM

Fair enough, it only costs 7 bucks. What do I have to lose?