AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Intel Motherboards & CPUs

Intel Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on INTEL products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 1st September, 2005, 05:44 AM

CPU Providing wrong temperature?

I have a problem im hoping you call can help me with. I finished building a new compter monday night, it uses a p4 3.4ghz, intel motherboard(D915PBL), 7800gt and 1gig of 533mhx ddr2 ram.(If anyone is in the intel retail program, its their november '04 package)...

My problem is the CPU temperature is reading 75-80C idle, and up to ~80-90C under load. I know normal is around 40-50 maybe 60 tops under full load.. Im thinking the sensor is not reading right, mainly for two reasons. First being the heatsink is not very hot to the touch at all. The fan sometimess kicks in to ~4k rpm(normal is 2-3k it seems), but not always. 2nd reason being I can run anything fine, even when its readin 90+ degrees. If the cpu was truely this hot, wouldn't it run laggy or crash? Its been running for a couple day snow, and I see no performance dips(ran throttlewatch), but I do notice the tmep shoot up to 85+ when loading games.. which means the sensor is active and noticing a difference in something.

Another note i want to through out, Ive gone into the bios settings, the temp there reads the same.. however whats od is I hear a kind of electronic screech when going through the menus and switching screens through the bios. I hear this same noise whenever the computer is in windows too, but not as noticable.. its sounds like the motherboard data being pushed around, but that shouldn't make noise right?

I flashed the bois to the newest version, nothing changed. Could it be the heatsink needing more thermal compound? I know for sure the airflow is not the issue case wise. And about the motherboard sound, if that could have something to do with it? Thanks in advanced =)
Old 1st September, 2005, 06:51 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Welcome to AOA Forums, Affinity!

Retail Boxed LGA-775's come with a thermal phase change pad attached to the bottom of the heatsink. There's nothing wrong with using the HSF as is. The first time that the CPU heats up, the "bubble gum" lozenge settles in, voila decent heat transfer away from the processor.

If you bought the OEM version of the Prescott you're responsible for using thermal paste on the top of the processor. A paper thin uniform coating of Arctic Silver or whatever your choice of thermal paste is ideal. It isn't easy to apply the ideal layer but you get better at it with practice. Adding extra thermal glop for 'insurance' is not the way to go. Less is more.

Some Asus mainboards are famous for giving you CPU temperatures(shown in BIOS) that are 10C to 12C lower than the real temperature of the proc. It's possible that some m'boards report temps that are higher than the actual temperature, too.

The sound of data screeching about the motherboard is new to me. I'd find this unreassuring.

Last edited by cloasters; 1st September, 2005 at 04:57 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 1st September, 2005, 01:01 PM
Member/Contributer

The screeching sounds like interferance on the sound card/on board audio. Unfortunately theres not a whole lot can be done about it, a good quality sound card probably won't suffer it, but if you're using on board audio the best you can hope for is to use good quality shielded leads and to turn on clock spread spectrum and close empty pci clocks in the bios if you have the options for them

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!