AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Intel Motherboards & CPUs

Intel Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on INTEL products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 19th September, 2005, 12:58 AM
Metal Wizard

Abit BE-7 and it's a DELL no more!!

You know a lot of people just do not realize that some olf processors had a lot more in them than people knew. My sister-in law's Dell lost it's hdd and it's cd-rw had been going downhill and it was a Dell!! So I repackaged and sold her My 2.4C. Sl6Z3 on my Epox 4PDA2+Ver.2 mobo. I still have one of those running my son's 3.0C. Well she had some good parts in that Dell so I snagged all good pieces. I decided to build my brother a PC for his college studies based on that 2.0 400fsb chip that was in that Dell. you know it had a gig of 2700mem in it. Well let's see just how fast I can make this old 2.0 go!!! First, you need a great board to bring out the potential of the processor. I just picked up an Abit BE-7 for $20 delivered off e-Bay. I had the intel chipset disc already for my old abit IT-7max2 Ver.2 if you don't have the right software for a board you buy used ,it is all available online. Then I added a cheap but extremely powerful and accurate psu. Logysis makes great psus for really low prices. My son's logysis 500watt "Pitbull" puts out 12.52V, 5.35V, 3.45v and his rails never fall below there spec. His psu was $42.95 my Antec 550 trupower that was around $129 puts out 11.79V, 5.05V and 3.24V my 12 volt rail varies from 11.79 down to as low as 11.29 (POS) any way and I got an old Aopen case at Goodwill here in town for $2.50. It is a mid tower. I will put it all together with that P-4 2.o gig processor this week!!an old DELL to a little rocket in 7 days. I used her ram and drives and it even had a MX400 AGP card. I have $65 into this computer although I have ordered a Zalman CNPS7000-ALCU CPU Cooler for $29.95 So when I OC it to it's limits this week it will stay cool!! I am going to cut some holes in the case for better cooling also. I also just ordered a 120gig hdd for this puter and a DVD writer. This machine will come in at about $200 when finished.
you know I threw a little hdd in it with XP-Pro loaded on it and gave it a quick test. It will be a little OC'ing monster. Needs more than stock cooler though. It got a little warm. Stay tuned I will puncture it and paint it this week. And build it and send it off to my brother all by
saturday. Not bad for a guy who just had Knee surgery last week!!

WZ

Last edited by weldzilla; 19th October, 2005 at 03:06 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 19th September, 2005, 01:15 AM
Metal Wizard

Here are a couple shots of it in it's $2.50 home. you can see that a couple of the drive covers are gone . I think I have enough stuff around here to cover the holes!. I put it together like this just to test things. Now it is coming apart for a little modding. Not much, just enough to help keep it all running cool!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...Zilla/abit.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...illa/abit1.jpg

WZ

Last edited by weldzilla; 19th October, 2005 at 03:30 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 19th September, 2005, 04:35 AM

So it's a 478? Probably won't be too bad. Not for the money anyway.If your power supply drops that far below 12v you should pick up a new ps.
http://www.ocprices.com/index.php?re...ew&cat_id=1040
Link to powerstream review above. I bought the 520 that has a newer style main connector so you don't need the adapter. The adjustable rails are awesome!! Mine is set to 12.46 and never fluctuates below 12.40. The shielded video cable is also real quality work. The 12v rail can be as high as 12.6 but I keep it sort of on the conservative side. As long as it don't go below 12 it's fine.
Intel 82875P Chipset
P4 478 3.0EGHz 800MHz FSB 1MB L2 HTT
2GB Corsair XMS PC3200 CL2 DDR 400 RAM
ATI Radeon X800XL AGP 8X 256mb
2x Samsung SP0812C SATA RAID 0 4K cluste
Toshiba TS-H92A CD-RW/DVD
Toshiba TS-H552B CD/DVDW
Viewsonic VA912b DVI/LCD Monitor
Altec Lansing 5.1 Surround Sound
Microsoft Wireless Intellimouse Explorer 2.0
Windows XP Pro SP3

Old 24th September, 2005, 12:38 AM
Metal Wizard

Well all the pieces came. But, before putting it together I had to paint it and spruce it up a bit. My brother liked the color of my case but, wanted gold grills. So he got them!
I put in 2 side fans and a blowhole fan.. It all went quite well. I'll get it to him tommorrow as his classes start on monday. His little 2.0A Northwood runs real smooth at 2700mhz! I got to tell you it really clips along. I know he is going to love it. I fooled with it when it was a 2 ghz Dell. It has nothing in common with it's past now.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v253/WeldZilla/y.jpg
The good news is that this project has picked me up an actual paying job!! The Bad news is virtually me entire inventory of spare parts has been used. I am not empty but, it is time to replenish the supply. you know I build 20 to 50 systems a year. It does not matter if they are fast or hyper-fast. I get a thrill out of all of them .the very first time you hit that momentary to loading widows and putting on the software to
trying to tweek a little extra power out of it. Well look I just love this stuff. I know I have been doing this a long time but, I'm like a little kid at christmas every time a computewr fires for the first time!! I am going to play with my brother's puter most of the night just making sure. I would deliver it tommorrow and hook it up but, I am still recovering from a recent knee surgery and it is hard to ride in the car that far. I prefer to fire it at their place for them. Just cuz.

I'll put on a few pics. I'll warn you it is not a typical WeldZilla case. In that it is not modded out. He preferred subdued as they have a house full of children and he did not want it too lit up and pretty!!

WZ

Last edited by weldzilla; 19th October, 2005 at 04:06 AM.
Old 24th September, 2005, 01:12 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

You're the man, weldzilla! Upbeat posts are great.
Old 24th September, 2005, 01:21 AM
Metal Wizard

I just can't help it. Who knoew that I would be so passionate about this stuff??
Well here are a couple shots of my brother's new ( But Very Used ) college computer!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...Zilla/jhp1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...Zilla/jhp2.jpg
I was a little worried about that Zalman. But, it fit. mmmm Like a glove!

WZ

Last edited by weldzilla; 19th October, 2005 at 03:45 AM.
Old 24th September, 2005, 02:24 PM

Smile Nice Job

Very,very tight fit on the zalman!! Pretty shade of blue as well. Saving an old computer from the crusher is so rewarding
Intel 82875P Chipset
P4 478 3.0EGHz 800MHz FSB 1MB L2 HTT
2GB Corsair XMS PC3200 CL2 DDR 400 RAM
ATI Radeon X800XL AGP 8X 256mb
2x Samsung SP0812C SATA RAID 0 4K cluste
Toshiba TS-H92A CD-RW/DVD
Toshiba TS-H552B CD/DVDW
Viewsonic VA912b DVI/LCD Monitor
Altec Lansing 5.1 Surround Sound
Microsoft Wireless Intellimouse Explorer 2.0
Windows XP Pro SP3

Old 24th September, 2005, 04:32 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Your a good brother WZ!!
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Old 24th September, 2005, 05:51 PM

Nice....good touch with the Zalman..I love mine, sooooooo quiet
Old 24th September, 2005, 07:05 PM
AOA Staff

I see you have used your favourite shade of paint!
Old 25th September, 2005, 12:32 AM
Metal Wizard

You know it is a quirk in this family. My brother ,my niece, and of course me!! We all chose the same color even tho we live far apart. I swear to you all!! On all that is Holy. I will try to paint WeldZilla 3 a different color!! I swear it!! Well maybe?
Kind of a trademark now. I have like 4 cans of it in my shop and 2 at my feet under my desk and 1 under the foot of the bed? I would start a poll on what color WeldZilla should use next but, it would just cloud the issue and drive me back to my base color.
Where were we before danrok did this to me...... Oh yes Daniel was saying I was a good brother!! Thanks Daniel. I think for sure today my Big brother would agree with you!. They just left here with the system. We had a great day of learning and we grilled some Salmon and some Beef and everybody was well fed and computer software updated!

WZ
Old 25th September, 2005, 01:08 AM

Send a message via MSN to Rondog

Nice mod. I recently modded a computer for my school. (Linux mod).

Its always great to see the look on someones when they see a computer completely different to the plain beige boxes they are used to.

Rig 1: Intel Core i5 750,4gb,HD6870,500gb,W7 Ult x64
Old 25th September, 2005, 01:16 AM
Metal Wizard

School let you do that? We use a nav computer on a bargeduring the hottest part of summer. It over heats constantly. I am trying to get the Port to let me build a custom cooling system for it. Hmm? Barge on water? Am i the only one who sees a liquid cooler here? Thanks Rondog, I really don't consider it a mod as much as a vented, painted case. for me a "Mod" is a lot more involved.

WZ
Old 25th September, 2005, 01:32 AM

Well yeah, but you get my idea.

The school didnt let me do it perse. I did it, and bought it to school, it was for a project. And not it sits in the main office as an information booth.

Old 25th September, 2005, 02:45 PM
Team 45 Folder

Send a message via MSN to Got EpOx Send a message via Skype™ to Got EpOx

Cool, nice one Rondog.
232GB Western Digital 'My Book' External HDD USB 2.0
80GB Hitachi SATA HDD
Onboard Audio
Intel GMA 950 Onboard Video
Want to make a difference without leaving your chair?, then join the AOA folding team today!
AOA Folding @Home
Old 25th September, 2005, 02:59 PM

Thanks man.

Old 25th September, 2005, 04:51 PM
Metal Wizard

OK Rondog, now that's cool. Can you shoot a photo of it and put it on? Maybe Daniel or one of the guys could send you an AOA sticker that could find it's way onto it.

WZ