AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Intel Motherboards & CPUs

Intel Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on INTEL products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 26th February, 2002, 06:15 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Cygnus_x_1 Send a message via AIM to Cygnus_x_1

Abit BH6 & Celery 300A

Just got my hands on a 'donated' bh6/300a combo...i haven't touched an intel board since my p233 mmx...i've heard this is the combo that 'started it all', so any tips on makin this baby scream would be appreciated...
Old 26th February, 2002, 07:20 PM

Send a message via ICQ to dimmreaper Send a message via AIM to dimmreaper

Actually the 486DX 33 "started it all" as you just had to set the motherboard to "66MHz" and you got yourself an easy 100% overclock. Prior to those days overclocking was a bit more difficult as you had to swap the crystal on the motherboard (my dad did that to my 286 when I was a kid).

The 300A was a terribly slow CPU. Basically Intel needed to get rid of some P2 clock speed flunkies so they threw them on a PCB with no cache chips. Rid yourself of that CPU as quickly as possible! If possible get a P3 coppermine "E" flipchip(or low speed FCPGA Celeron) and a slocket if the board will support them(I'm not sure about the BH6, I know the BX6R2 will).

Wishing you were someone else is a waste of the person you are. - Kurt Cobain

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 26th February, 2002, 07:42 PM
Banned

I agree that the 300a is not the best cpu for that board, also that an adapter board for the processor would be ideal, and the P3 coppermine E (on a 100mhz fsb) would be ideal.

I was wondering if you plan on overclocking this? I know it's assumed as this is an overclocking site, but not all systems require it . I wanted to recommend grabbing a used P3 coppermine E slot one processor and just slapping it in there cheap if that's the case.
Old 26th February, 2002, 07:53 PM

this is going to be my 3 yr olds pc...figured i would play around with an intel since i hadent touched one in about 2 yrs...i prolly won't put any $$$ into it, just bleed it for all its worth...the coppermine flipchip sounds intersting, i will have to find out if the board supports it..if i can find one on the cheap, that may be a possibilty...
Old 26th February, 2002, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Cygnus_x_1
if i can find one on the cheap, that may be a possibilty...
Ebay, were one man's junk truely is another man's treasure . . .

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 26th February, 2002, 10:02 PM

i'll post my findings on working with this combo over the weekend when i get it up & running...
Old 26th February, 2002, 10:18 PM

I'm looking forward to it . . .

AOA Team fah
Old 27th February, 2002, 12:11 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

The C300A marked the start of popular OCing. Many folks's first OC was a C300A @450 Mhz. If this C300A OC's to 450 Mhz at stock Core Voltage(2.0v) it's a real keeper. Conservative OCer's didn't exceed 2.2v in the quest for 450 Mhz.

I dunno why this CPU gets dissed. It was the equivalent of a PII 450 in nearly every meaningful BM--for a lot less money!
Old 27th February, 2002, 12:26 AM

I have a 300A running on a BX6 R 2.0, it has been running at 504Mhz @ 2.1v for about 3 years now. It is slow compared to most of todays standards put for the time when it was released it would fly.
Old 27th February, 2002, 11:30 PM

Location: USS Great Britain, aircraft carrier, moored off the northwest coast of Europe
Send a message via ICQ to Random Nonsense Send a message via Yahoo to Random Nonsense

i have a p3-450 BH6 combo, doesnt overclock, the 450 is the fastest chip it supports (on this bios at least) and there are no FSB adjustments

Undergoing overhaul. Hard Locking to 13.5X multiplier for theoretical clockrate of 1944mhz 144mhz FSB

1X Duron 1.3 AHCLA "9" @ 1430mhz

1X Celeron 1000mhz

1X Pentium3 450 DECEASED

Folding Under AOA-UK for team 45!

"Mothers should love their babies, because then they grow up, everyone might hate them."
Old 28th February, 2002, 07:14 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Ack. I thought that the BH6 had both adjustable Core Voltage and FSB. Would a BIOS update be that bad of an idea?
Old 28th February, 2002, 07:21 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by cloasters
Ack. I thought that the BH6 had both adjustable Core Voltage and FSB. Would a BIOS update be that bad of an idea?
I just finished working on one a few months ago and it has all sorts of voltage and bus settings...
Old 28th February, 2002, 07:29 PM

it does have adj fsb, and volt. just the fsb is only 66, 75, 83, 100, 112, 124, 133. the latest bios, BH6SS, 7/6/2000, supports celly's up to 700 @ 66fsb...i cant wait to play with this thing this weekend...i have to get my hands on a power supply since i blew up my 400W last week installing a switch for my neons...
Old 28th February, 2002, 08:40 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

The i440BX chipset has limitations. "Dial-a-FSB" came along much later than the chipset "That Lived Far Too Long" did. Intel wanted the i815, and the i810(shoot me!) to supplant the i440BX.

This was after Chipzilla climbed into bed with Rambus, and REALLY wanted the i820(cc) to make the i440BX history--and quick.

People just didn't want to pay the price of gold, straight across- weight for weight- for the stinkin' RIMMS. Dunno why. So, Intel came out with the i820(vc), that used regular DIMMS.

Wouldn't you know it, the vc i820 didn't work--at all. Period. Massive recall of hundreds of thousands of vc i820 mobo's. AFAIK, rotten Intel NEVER made it crystal clear just how one went about returning their pos vc i820's. Nor did Asus. Do I sense some animadversion here?

So, the i810 and i815 came out of Intel's unmentionable. Whoo-hoo! WORSE memory performance than the olde i440BX. And people ask me why I don't love Intel?

Why oh why didn't I jump ship earlier? Note to self: Never buy Intel again. Not even if they have a 3 Ghz lead over AMD.

Edit. The i440BX was the last chipset from Intel that was a true, solid masterpiece of engineering. I admit that I know nothing of P4 chipsets. I still have a i440BX mainboard. Too bad that Marketing overcame engineering.

Last edited by cloasters; 28th February, 2002 at 08:47 PM.
Old 1st March, 2002, 01:28 PM

Location: USS Great Britain, aircraft carrier, moored off the northwest coast of Europe
Send a message via ICQ to Random Nonsense Send a message via Yahoo to Random Nonsense

i have an ORIGINAL BH6, there is a BH6 2 i believe, that one would have more options. unfortunately i cant flash the bios since i cant find the sticker with what board revision i have, there are two bios's to choose from, i dont wanna nuke the board

Undergoing overhaul. Hard Locking to 13.5X multiplier for theoretical clockrate of 1944mhz 144mhz FSB

1X Celeron 1000mhz

1X Pentium3 450 DECEASED

"Mothers should love their babies, because then they grow up, everyone might hate them."
Old 1st March, 2002, 03:26 PM

RN, if f the board is operational, check the bios string during the post. you will be able to see which bios you are using, and be able to tell that way...the madness starts tonite...(if i can pull myself away from reviewing the 8500 !!)
Old 2nd March, 2002, 10:44 AM

hehehe my review was done weeks ago, but isnt up yet, spode is doing coursework, which is the priority i think.

1X Celeron 1000mhz

1X Pentium3 450 DECEASED