AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Intel Motherboards & CPUs

Intel Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on INTEL products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 30th November, 2005, 05:47 PM

Cpu acting weired

HI guys and thanks for recieving me in your forum.

After i opened up my Atx case to let some new air cool my system, it started to act weired. At 5-10 min after i boot, and after i start a Cpu nitense application (prince of persia sands of time) after 10 min my cpu goes up to 70 celsius. I have a program (wich came with my motherboard ) that monitorises the CPU and system temp. After 10 min my cpu goes to 70 and my system temp stays to 29-30 celcius. 70 celsius is too much if you ask me. The big problem is that my heatsink fan spins only at 2900rpm. (the max rpm is 4990). but even if the cpu goes to 70 celsius the fan doesent spin enough to cool it.
I want to tell you that when the heatsink fan goes to 3100-3500rpm, the proc temperature drops down to under 70 (67-69celsius)
I read somewhere that the heatshink fan is controled after the temperatuer in the system.....so......that.s why is not my fan spinning fast enough??? because its too much air????

PLease help me couse i have no ideea how to stop it for shutting down. I want to specify that i set my shut down temp in the bios to 75celsius (it never reached that temp).

My system is: pentium 4 3.0ghz, epox 4pda3i, ati radeon 9600 pro, 512 ram OCZ.

Thank you in advance....
Old 30th November, 2005, 05:54 PM
Steve Jobs

mate, is your CPU fan connected to the CPU fan header on the motherboard? There are several fan headers (plugs on the motherboard) and they are all labeled on the board, as well as in the user manual. Is the CPU fans plug connected to the CPU fan header on the motherboard?
Running Fedora 15 Linux (GNOME 3)
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Drivers, Games, Demos, Mods and Overclocking Tools At AOAFiles
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 30th November, 2005, 07:31 PM

Prescott??? I'm sure of it

At any rate bud.. Your first mistake was taking off the side of your case.
Not trying to get down on you, but PC's do much better with a controlled air enviroment...do some cable management, to make sure you dont obstruct air flow, and seal it back up...but before you do that....
much like DSIO said, ensure your Heatsink is mounted properly, trying applying some Artic Silver 5 (thermal grease) and also check to see if your CPU fan is plugged in...should be a little (very little) three pin set near the CPU socket. Also, are you using the stock cooler? Because Prescott is notorious for burning through more wattage than those little things can handle.
Old 30th November, 2005, 07:46 PM

The thing is that when i put the side pannel back on, the fan reacts faster. But that doesent help me couse it sounds like a jet taking off The room i have this coputer in is small.. so you can immagine...i can warm the room with this computer. I will check to see that the pins are connected corectly, but i think they are. Since my fan is working properlly (sometimes) I mean it reacts...but it reacts too slw.

Is any other method than replacing the heatsink or the paste?
Old 30th November, 2005, 08:00 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Odds are the fan speed is controlled by the case temp reading then. You have a senor on your motherboard reading temps... When the case is closed, this temp probably goes up, causing the fan to speed up.... When the case is open, the reading probably stays down... sounds like poor configuration on the mobo's part.

With a prescott, temps will always be an issue to be aware of. The first thing you have to do is decide what is acceptable to you... If the loud fan is an acceptable price for decent cooling, you can always disable the fan control through the bios, and let it run full speed all the time... If you want noise reduction, odds are you will have to do some research... Assuming you are using a retail HSF, you may see significant improvements with an aftermarket model. There is a balance between heat and noise. A better cooler may tilt the balance a bit for you.
Old 30th November, 2005, 09:34 PM

Does anyone know if i can tinker with this temperature sensor on the motherboard? Does anyone know where exactrly is it located? i looked on the internet and i could not find something to help me. The MoBo is :epox 4pda3i
Old 30th November, 2005, 09:42 PM

:Taps on Left arm:

Any Epox techs in house that can help this man?

Quick question, does your machine reboot or hang at 70C? It should....
Old 30th November, 2005, 10:20 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seperah
...Quick question, does your machine reboot or hang at 70C? It should....
Doubtful... it should start throttling first.
Old 30th November, 2005, 10:28 PM

The machine is working perfectrly..
I have no other problem with it except that the HSF has this delay wich makes the CPU run at 70 celsius. And when it goes to 70 sometimes it shuts off. Not allways. After the fan starts spinning.. i have no more problmes , During aplications it stays up to 67-68. But i have no throtheling, no signs that it does not run corectly.
Old 1st December, 2005, 02:20 AM
Metal Wizard

I never heard of the cpu fan header on any motherboard offering variable speed. Let's face it many times the posted temps are out in left field and very inaccurate. If you are having such variations in fan speed I would be changing fans. Are you running a stock cooler? You say when the fan speeds up it all cools better but,you complain about the noise. Well you should have read more cuz socket 478 prescotts run as hot as the hubs of hell. But, you have what you have, So spend a little more money on a Zalman cnps 9500. $59 from ZZF free shipping Comes with a rheostat so you can slow the fan down and offers excellent cooling. Did you mount the original heatink? As mentioned you might want to try a remount with some as-5 but I think you need a good new cooler. You know at stock speeds that temp should be easy to control.

WZ
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 1st December, 2005, 02:42 AM
Steve Jobs

Quote:
Originally Posted by weldzilla
I never heard of the cpu fan header on any motherboard offering variable speed.
Its not an EPoX trait, but it is standard on all Abit, some ASUS, some Asrock, some DFI.
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Old 1st December, 2005, 03:41 AM
Metal Wizard

Must be on the new ones. Well wait a minute the last board i had with air cooling was an Abit VL-6!! With a P-3 866. Which became liquid cooled before it was over. So it has been 5 years for me. My son has used aircooling but with Epox boards. Wow I have been in a cave isolated from air-cooling. Well wait he had the Abit IT7 Max2 Ver.2 aircolled for awhile and it did not have a variation of fan speed. That was the 845PE chipset. Well if that were the case I would run the fan off a molex to 3-pin adapter. So the fan would run full speed!! At least that way If I wanted it to run slower I could montor the temps and slow it down with a single rheostat or a Vantec Nexxus or something. I would not leave my fan speed up to a temp sensor on a motherboard.

WZ
Old 1st December, 2005, 04:40 AM
Steve Jobs

It isnt that old. Temp monitoring is part of the uGuru chip on newer Abit boards. So its on the Intel 925, and on all K8 boards from K8T800Pro / Nforce 3 Ultra onwards.

Asus has it on selected boards that have the AI NOS on them from memory, and Asrock (ASUS cheapos) have it on 1 or 2 boards.

The uGuru fan speed control is quite good really. It lets you control up to 5 fans. CPU, NB, Case, and two AUX fans. All are independently controlled through software in windows, and can also be controlled in BIOS. You can set between 12V and 8V, vary it with one of 3 different temperatures (CPU, Ambient, PWM) or leave it on full.

So, I have the CPU fan, varied with CPU temp, Ambient, varied with both AUX (2 fans mounted in the front on one plug [low speed low power fans] and two front fans on the other plug), and PWM, varied with case fan (which is really a fan mounted on top of the PWM region in my case).

Works very well.
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Old 1st December, 2005, 05:09 PM

Abit has that EQ feature on my IS7-E2...quite nice I say.
Old 1st December, 2005, 09:57 PM

welcome and if your extremly worried thermal take sells some cheap watercoolling. I think 70C is say way off the chart my max CPU is 33 (was 38 when aircooled)
4-4-4-12
160GB
256 MB 6800GT 413/1102
Main Rig
AMD 4000+ 2772 MHz w/ DFI SLI DR
2GB Corsair XMS (with LED's of course)@ 2.5-3-2-11 @ 240MHz
250GB HDD SATA2
Xfi-64MB X-Ram
WMCE
7800GTX OC-516(+40Mhz Delta clock)/1300
AOA Team fah
"The motherboard installation section essentially said "refer to motherboard manual for installation instructions". My motherboard manual of course said "refer to case manual for further installation instructions"."
Old 2nd December, 2005, 01:23 AM
Metal Wizard

Ok but, you actually control the fan speeds correct? you decide whether it is 8V or up to 12V. I thought you were saying that the motherboard handled that chore completely on it's own with no user input. Automatic things like that just don't fly with me. I do like the idea of being able to control fan speeds with software. sounds nice to me.

WZ
Old 2nd December, 2005, 04:24 AM

Field Value
CPU 40 °C (104 °F)
Field Value
CPU 2344 RPM
Those fan speeds are normal for me.
I only have 2 fans going plus the Zalman and you can see my temps taken from Everest. If he has the stock HSF on there it can be tricky to get it seated because it just barely fits inside the hold down bracket. I would try re-seating the heatsink with some arctic silver and report back to us. 70*c temps shouldn't be that high even for a
Presc "hot"!!
Intel 82875P Chipset
P4 478 3.0EGHz 800MHz FSB 1MB L2 HTT
2GB Corsair XMS PC3200 CL2 DDR 400 RAM
ATI Radeon X800XL AGP 8X 256mb
2x Samsung SP0812C SATA RAID 0 4K cluste
Toshiba TS-H92A CD-RW/DVD
Toshiba TS-H552B CD/DVDW
Viewsonic VA912b DVI/LCD Monitor
Altec Lansing 5.1 Surround Sound
Microsoft Wireless Intellimouse Explorer 2.0
Windows XP Pro SP3

Old 2nd December, 2005, 04:06 PM

I bought the boxed pentium. And thats the only fan i have in my computer. No other system fans of anykind. BUT...listen to this.
I had a fight with my fiancee yesterday and bacause i was upset, I decided to look at my system and tinker with it a little. And so i noticed that it was full of dust. So i took a tootk pick and cleaned the fans of the heatsink, verry genly. I took out alot of dust. After this nice cosmetic sesion.....voyla!!! 60 celsius the maximum value during heavy aplication. the HSF doesent even go more than 3000 RPM, and during idle when i had 56-57 now i have 45-46 celsius.

Thats a huge improvement. For me anyways. So guys if anyone is not satisfied with the cooling of the stock fans. Maby a little bit of cleaning is necesarry every 3-4 months.

Anyways like you guys suggested i will change the termal paste to AC-5 and zalman is my favorite also..I will tel Santa maby She'll make me anice present this Christmas )
Old 2nd December, 2005, 05:21 PM

glad you got problem solved.

instead of using the toothpicks, try using a canned air. That'll get all dust out nice n clean..

but yeah, not only the P4 Prescotts run hot but also is designed to handle high temperature.
ATi X1950XTX 512 CrossFire
Triple WD Raptor 10k HDDs@ raid 0
50" Panasonic Plasma TH50PHD7UY
50" Panasonic Plasma TH50PH9UK
BetterCable SilverSerpent SVGA & DVI-D
Sony BWU-100A Blu-Ray PC Drive

p4 - superPi - 31 sec.
pM - superPi - 28 sec.
conroe - superPi - 14 sec.
Old 2nd December, 2005, 06:21 PM

Unfortunatelly the thing is that the stock fan is variable but is automatik. i can not control the speed.

Anyways guys thank you verry much for your help.

Unless anyone wants to add something else....the topic can be closed.