AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Intel Motherboards & CPUs

Intel Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on INTEL products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 6th December, 2005, 04:03 AM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via Yahoo to Staz

Which RAM for what board???

Sorry if this is long winded but bear with me. Although I own several coockie cutter Intel boxes this will be my first Intel build.

I am buying a second hand Abit BH7 based on an Intel 845PE chipset and a 2.4B CPU. The motherboard will let me run the RAM at either 1:1 or 4:3 or 5:4. I am hopeing and shooting for 166MHz FSB however the previous owner said 150MHz FSB was the highest he got it. anyway at 166MHz FSB with 1:1 would be 166MHz, at 5:4 it would be 207MHz and at 4:3 it would be 221MHz.

I know that P4's like and benifit from a higher memory bandwith. Not what I am used to with AMD likeing to run at sync.

Would I be better off buying 512mb of Low latency RAM capible of running higher FSB. Or would it run better with 1024mb of value RAM with higher latencys and running at 5:4?

Anyone know of any good deals out there now?

What goes in a computer? Click me to find out.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 6th December, 2005, 04:35 AM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Unfortunately, I think the 845PE is a single channel chipset, so your only way to take advantage of the CPU bandwidth is to run asych. I thought the 845 could do 200mhz for memory, but it may be board dependant. If the BH7 can handle 200 FSB CPUs, you may be in luck... With PC3200 installed, an option for 6/4 may or may not exist.

I wouldn't take 150mhz at face value, unless the previous owner was an experienced overclocker. Odds are he was running cheap memory that couldn't be pushed. I'd be surpised to hear that a B model 2.4 would overclock so poorly, or that the mobo was topping out there.

Without knowing for sure, I still think it is a good idea to get PC3200, and as much as possible. 1 gig of value PC3200 goes for about $80 or less. Tight timing will have only a few percent improvement in synthetic benchmarks, while the increased amount of memory may reap dividends... At the same time, a gig of memory on a P4 makes it a killer folder.

Newegg and zipzoomfly both have decent deals at the moment.
zipzoomfly: $75
http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/Produc...0098-21&ps=ho1

I've personally had very good luck with Corsair value select memory. My best is a 2gig kit currently running 237mhz with only a minor voltage boost. I've got 2 other 1 gig kits, and they both do well. None do tight timings, but all do 2.5-3-3-7 at any speed they are capable. The above link is a dual channel kit, but unless you find a better deal for a single stick of 1 gig, doesn't hurt the system.
Old 6th December, 2005, 04:54 AM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via Yahoo to Staz

I don't take the 150 at face value. I have seen way too many of those things hitting 166MHz with the stock cooler and only a slight voltage bump. I actually think the problem was the PCI bus. It is not locked at 33MHz. Also it does not automatically shift. It can and must be set manually to 1/3 or 1/4 or 1/5 or 1/6 or By CPU. I am thinking that at the default setting of "By CPU" a 150MHz FSB would equate to 37.5MHz on the PCI bus which is really pushing it.

Thnx for the input. I was actually looking at that very RAM versus Corsair TwinX XMS 3200LL (2x256). Guess I'll go with the slower RAM and more of it. The board does not have a 6:4 memory devider. Just the 1:1 and 4:3 and 5:4

What goes in a computer? Click me to find out.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10th December, 2005, 06:48 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Personally, I'd use a non stock HSF to OC a 2.4. P4's aren't famous for running cool.
Old 10th December, 2005, 08:43 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Depends on whether it's a Northwood or Prescott core. Northwoods aren't too bad on heat, but the Prescott's a whole 'nuther ball game.
Old 11th December, 2005, 02:08 AM
Metal Wizard

Well it is a Northwood "B" but you are looking at those dividers wrong even though you did the math right in the first post. They run either 1:1 or 3:4 or 4:5. Since they the fsb ran stock at 133 they gave you dividers that allowed you to clock UP the memory.
We are all to use to Canterwood and springdale boards with their down clocking dividers. If you did not already have the BH-7 I would suggest you get one of these more modern boards. With good cooling 166fsb to 172 should be easily attained. I would run a mem that will run tight timings. Remember you will be lucky even with the 3:4 divider to get you mem up to DDR450 I would run 1 gig of mem. Alot of good TCCD mem will run 225 mhz with timings of 2-2-2-5. This will be about all you are going to get and it will be a very speedy little system. You will not have a memory bottleneck with good mem. you will have a very balanced system. I believe the BH-7 also has AGP/PCI lock also so overclock away! This was Abit's best OC'ing 845 board and it actually was one of the first around to have 4 phase power. And you can definetly set the PCI to 33mhz fixed. So it will be locked. Why don't you post up some shots of how it is going? you know some BH-5 memory would work well with this board also as it puts out up to 3.05 Volts to the memory.
Gee it ought to be fun playing with that board.

WZ

Last edited by weldzilla; 11th December, 2005 at 02:26 AM.