AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Intel Motherboards & CPUs

Intel Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on INTEL products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 3rd February, 2006, 01:22 AM

Which will be better?

ok so i got this Pentium M 750 1.86GHz CPU in my laptop, i think its a socket 478 on CPU-Z it says mPGA-479M, it runs pretty hot. A little too hot so to prevent my laptop from melting I have to put its performance on low with .99 volts going through. Now if mPGA-479M is Socket 478 well I might have a solution to this. Some how all my PCs in the house are socket 478. And i got a P4 2.8GHz CPU which is a Northwood(13 micro/ 130 nanometer). What I want to know is if a 2.8GHz Northwood will run cooler than a 1.86Ghz Dothan. I'd also like to know whats the coolest running CPU of the same socket as my laptop. and also anyone know a program I could use to get my ram speed? sadly the BIOS doesnt ave that and CPU-Z wont detect.
Old 3rd February, 2006, 01:32 AM
AOA Staff
Asteroids Champion, Maeda Path Champion, Disco Racer Champion, Alpha Bravo Charlie Champion, Van Champion

Send a message via MSN to Pitch

P4M's are Socket 479.

XBL/PNS = neolad
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 3rd February, 2006, 01:34 AM
AOA's resident barman

Send a message via ICQ to Favu Send a message via AIM to Favu Send a message via MSN to Favu

A socket 478 mobile CPU has 479 pins and is not swappable with the socket 478 desktop CPU. This is why you can get special motherboards for mobile pentiums, as they run cooler and overclock well

Custom 8-bit Sharp Z80 @ 4.194304 MHz
Reflective LCD @ 160 × 144
8 kByte S-RAM

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 3rd February, 2006, 01:35 AM
5 Card Draw Champion, Tomb Digger Champion, Alpha Force Champion, Autobahn Champion, Big Bird Hunting Champion, Mumu Champion, Attack of the Tweety Zombies Champion

My partner has the same cpu in her laptop, Laptops in general run quite warm but if it is running very hot there may be a thermal interface problem. Are you taking readings from the cpu itself or judging temps by the hot air coming out of the back?

Join our F@H team today.. http://www.team45.info/
Are you a subscriber? No? well then, why not....
Subscribe to AOA for a better experience and faster downloads!
How to unlock and overclock your Nvidia 6800
BIOS Volt-mod your 7800gt

AOA Team fah
Old 3rd February, 2006, 01:55 AM

with .988 volt i get 123.8 F temp, note that with the IBM battery saving program this is the lowest performance u can get out of the system.. So now that i want to play Guild Wars i have to raise the performance to max, and it gets like 140F. I remember, after school i was doing something on my laptop and i fell asleep with the performance thing on high, i woke up because of the heat and you could literarly not keep ur hand on the buttom for 3 seconds. I either need better fan w/cooling system or need to get a cpu that will run better. Right now ill go on newegg and google and see what I can find that could possibly run cool. And with temps like this isnt it bad to put the laptop on the lap because it kills ur sperm? lol. I just need ideas on how to cool this thing down a bit. Thanks
Old 3rd February, 2006, 01:58 AM
AOA's resident barman

Send a message via ICQ to Favu Send a message via AIM to Favu Send a message via MSN to Favu

How about something like this ?

Custom 8-bit Sharp Z80 @ 4.194304 MHz
Reflective LCD @ 160 × 144
8 kByte S-RAM

Old 3rd February, 2006, 02:02 AM

to be honest im not looking forward to changing the outside looks of my laptop.