AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Intel Motherboards & CPUs

Intel Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on INTEL products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 7th March, 2002, 12:23 PM

Question IBM Aptiva

I have a Aptiva pc with a Intel P II 350. I have recently considered over clocking my computer and
I have some problems.

1. I cant find the multiplier switch on my motherboard.
2. Over clocking a slot 1 processor isn’t the easiest thing. I have seen many things on the net I would like to get some guidelines.

My computer is a IBM Aptiva model 2139.
Here you can find some info about it:
INFO ABOUT 2139 Please help me.

Lozip
Old 7th March, 2002, 12:44 PM

Send a message via ICQ to dimmreaper Send a message via AIM to dimmreaper

Your CPU is multiplier locked, which means you can't set the multiplier to anything other than default. That means you would have to increase the front side bus of the CPU to overclock. OEM motherboards rarely offer alternative front side bus speeds. So your probably S.O.L.

Perhaps it's time to consider upgrading you CPU Motherboard and RAM? If that is an option your willing to pursue, we'd be happy to offer some advise and help you choose components and such. Let us know.

Wishing you were someone else is a waste of the person you are. - Kurt Cobain

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 7th March, 2002, 12:59 PM
Member/Contributer

You could try overclocking with software, but I doubt you have any luck. Not even sure the mobo will be supported by any OC software out there. (It could be, I'm just not sure. Check a program called SOFTFSB)

There isn't much we can do to help you out, sorry! Like Dimm said, let us know if you wanna upgrade, and we will help you all we can.
Old 7th March, 2002, 04:01 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Upgrading from an IBM is costly... Odds are the case is a proprietary design as well... usually with a riser card config. And I'm sure the PSU is woefully weak.

I think that takes some people to the point where it's better to just start from scratch... It really depends on the desired usage, tho.

Try using software as Allan suggests. At least that's freee (shareware), and it only costs you some time to give it a shot. I have used it successfully on an old Dell box to get about 10-12% boost.
Old 7th March, 2002, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by SteveI
Upgrading from an IBM is costly... Odds are the case is a proprietary design as well... usually with a riser card config. And I'm sure the PSU is woefully weak.
All of the IBM boxes I've fixed have an ATX or microATX motherboards. However, two of them had a proprietary PSU(AT PSUs with a third plug for a power on relay and +9V).

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 7th March, 2002, 09:38 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Quote:
Originally posted by dimmreaper
All of the IBM boxes I've fixed have an ATX or microATX motherboards. However, two of them had a proprietary PSU(AT PSUs with a third plug for a power on relay and +9V).
Towers? I work on an old desktop, and it uses a riser.
Old 7th March, 2002, 10:03 PM

Smile Some help buying a computer ???

I want a real cheep computer that I can play games on and work with Macro Flash5.
Flash isn’t the heaviest program to run. But I want a processor with at least 700 or 800 MHz.
I am going to use some components from my old computer:
· 64 Mb. pc 100
· Hard drive 40 GB
· DVD, Hitachi
· CD burner, HP

I have used some time one the net to find a computer that fills my needs. These are some of the components I had in mind additional to the ones mentioned above.

Processor:
AMD Duron 1.0 GHz OEM (200 MHz bus) Socket A processor

Motherboard
Asus A7V133-C Motherboard for Socket A VIAKT133A, ATA/100, ATX

Graphic Card:
Creative 3DBlaster GeForce2 MX200 32MB AGP, SDRAM, TV-Out, Retail
(I want a graphic card with Mpeg accelerator, to play my DVD movies and show them on TV)

Sound Card
Creative SoundBlaster Live! Player 5.1 PCI (same ****, sound is sound on a stereo from 1990)

+Some fans

TOTAL PRICE: $ 316.53

Now I wonder. Is this the computer I am looking fore? Please help me and give me some advice? ???

PS.
The prices are from a Norvegian site :KOMPLETT
And i used a calculator to change the index Aftenposten Calculator
Old 7th March, 2002, 10:07 PM
Banned

Yes, don't forget possible new case... and for god's sake, don't get the MX200, spend another $5 and get the MX400 from another brand (like Gainward). The MX200 is next to worthless they absolutely cripple that card.
Old 7th March, 2002, 10:12 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Sounds like a decent budget system... Do you have the ECS K7S5A available where you are? It is an excellent performing budget board with built in sound, built in NIC and supports both SDR & DDR RAM. Real cheap too.
Old 7th March, 2002, 10:32 PM

Re: Some help buying a computer ???

Quote:
Originally posted by Lozip
Processor:
AMD Duron 1.0 GHz OEM (200 MHz bus) Socket A processor
I have one of these in my main rig. They're real nice chips. I've got mine overclocked to 1.3GHz(@ a 338MHz bus ), but it took a bit of work to get it there. You should be able to 1.2GHz without breaking a sweat if you have a motherboard with multiplier and voltage options in the BIOS.

Don't forget a new power supply! You will need it. A SocketA CPU draws considerably more current than a Slot1 Intel CPU. You want to get a power supply listed here.

You will also need a pretty decent heatsink. I'm not sure what is available over that way, but find something good.

AOA Team fah
Old 7th March, 2002, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pinky
spend another $5 and get the MX400 from another brand (like Gainward).
I have the GPU core on my Gainward MX400 running at 250MHz(up from 175MHz), you can find info about how I did it here, if your interested Lozip. I love Gainward cards, and since they pretty much just follow the Nvidia reference design you can be sure your getting quality.

AOA Team fah
Old 7th March, 2002, 10:36 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Yes,
In addition to your estimates, you'll have to add at least about $100 more to cover:

Case
PSU
HSF
Old 7th March, 2002, 10:38 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

The Aptiva is a proprietary machine. This raises a big red flag when the question of upgrading its components or improving its performance is raised.

Frankly, it's not worth the time to investigate if the OEM box can be made better. Aside from adding RAM(IF the RAM in the box isn't some proprietary PITA) there's nothing that can be done. OEM's make sure that "upgrade" means buying a brand new system from them.

If financial constraints mean that you're stuck with the box, period--THEN investigation might be worthwhile.

The A7V-133 is obsolete, as are all KT133A mainboards. The best performance crown is held by the Via KT266A chipset. Until tomorrow, at any rate. I'm very happy with my ECS-K7S5A mobo. It's dirt cheap, yet high quality. This is NOT an overclocker's favorite. The ECS K7S6A is more up to date, but a little more expensive.

I understand that the Shuttle AK-31A(with the current performance champ Via KT266A chipset) is not a bad OCer. The price is right, too.
Old 8th March, 2002, 02:53 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by cloasters
The A7V-133 is obsolete, as are all KT133A mainboards. The best performance crown is held by the Via KT266A chipset. Until tomorrow, at any rate.
I have both of these, and I'd say that for budget KT133A is still an option, maybe not the greatest, but depending on which 266A boards are available, he might not have a financial choice. I personally love both systems I have, and the Duron will be much cheaper to upgrade RAM, and since it's only a server, and requires plenty more ram than the three sticks of 64MB I have in there now, I think the KT133A was a fine choice.

Overclocking was easy once I penciled the L7s for 1.80 and 1.85v settings.
Old 14th March, 2002, 11:06 AM

Send a message via ICQ to FerrariF50 Send a message via AIM to FerrariF50 Send a message via Yahoo to FerrariF50

Hey I have a IBm Aptiva Se7 which is model 2189 with a PII 450Mhz the only way to overclock is to increase the FSB...But your not going to get very far....I only got my 450 Oc to 507Mhz..If I tryed to go higher my Computer would lock up hard...Which I think because the Cpu needed more Power...Also like you I went looking on the mobo for switchs...their is a Dip switch that made my 450 run like a 350Mhz lol....Anyway thats all I can tell you for now untill I get rid of that crappy Acer Vx66A board with a Soyo

I also sould point out...This is the inportant part If you really have the need to overclock....You have to look on your Mobo..and find a ICS PLL chip on the mobo and match the number in the software..I rememend CoolFSB. once you match it up you can overclock it...if you match the wong one you will lock up your computer..But as they said before me your better off getting a new mobo..But it was hell for me...I must of locked up my Computer 40 times just trying to Oc it to 507Mhz...

------------------------------------------------
:My System:

Amd 1.1Ghz ThunderBird

128Mb Ram
Windows Xp Pro
16.6 Gig Ibm drive
5.6Gig Maxtor drive
Hitachi Gd-2500 dvd-rom drive
Sony CRX-140E Cd Writer
TDK 52/24/48 Cd Writer
Ibm/Sony G94 Monitor 19"
Yamaha YST-MS201 speakers
Intel PII450Mhz <-------Server computer

Last edited by FerrariF50; 14th March, 2002 at 11:11 AM.
Old 14th March, 2002, 11:08 AM

Send a message via ICQ to FerrariF50 Send a message via AIM to FerrariF50 Send a message via Yahoo to FerrariF50

Quote:
Originally posted by SteveI

I think that takes some people to the point where it's better to just start from scratch... It really depends on the desired usage, tho.

Try using software as Allan suggests. At least that's freee (shareware), and it only costs you some time to give it a shot. I have used it successfully on an old Dell box to get about 10-12% boost.
Yeah my Ibm PSu is only 115watts or someware neer that number

------------------------------------------------
:My System:

Amd 1.1Ghz ThunderBird

128Mb Ram
Windows Xp Pro
16.6 Gig Ibm drive
5.6Gig Maxtor drive
Hitachi Gd-2500 dvd-rom drive
Sony CRX-140E Cd Writer
TDK 52/24/48 Cd Writer
Ibm/Sony G94 Monitor 19"
Yamaha YST-MS201 speakers
Intel PII450Mhz <-------Server computer