AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Intel Motherboards & CPUs

Intel Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on INTEL products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 8th June, 2006, 08:16 PM
Member/Contributor/Resident Crystal Ball

LoL. Kyosen is running LN2. Hardly daily performance @ current nodesize. Maybe possible @ 45nm? Here's hoping.

Kyosen also got 200k in aquamark, 23k in '05, and some seriously nice ram clocks @ 520mhz, 4-3-2-1.
Old 22nd June, 2006, 04:34 PM

Intel Core 2 Extreme X6800 Overclocking with Air Cooling by Windwithme @ madshrimps

Spoiler: 3750Mhz on air
2x WD Raptors 74gb R0
2x Maxtor 300gb
Asus Geforce EN8800GT
Windoors XP Pro sp2

Download here OcBible 1.55 & Guidemania v1.21
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 22nd June, 2006, 05:22 PM
Space Invaders Champion, Takion Champion

Impressive. I prefer AMD for myself, but I concede the performance crown to Intel. Until AMD's 65nm that is.

It's a nice chip. I'm really impressed. Finally Intel had made a very good step forward, and if this continues then in a few years when I upgrade there may be an Intel in my computer. Though I highly doubt that AMD will just sit back and let Intel run off with the lead, as healthy a lead as it may be. Honestly, with the conroes they are comparing $1000 next-gen chips with $600 current-gen, for the most part, so it's not quite as godly as it may seem.

It is still better than the FX-62, at the same price range from what I've seen. However, it's quality at lower prices will really make or break it.
"this happened to me once, only i kept wiping my nose in my sleep, so it was my hands that were covered in blood when i woke up. i saw my hands, and was like, "dear diary, all i remember is watching half a movie and falling asleep on the couch?" -Ryan North
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 22nd June, 2006, 05:43 PM

with the lowest-level Conroe offering beating and FX62, AMD has a tough outlook, i must admit. the FX62...AMD's best...beaten by the cheapest Intel offering...Kentsfield has a place in my house!
Old 22nd June, 2006, 06:20 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

The real question for me on performance has nothing to do with conroes... I fear mobos will be the biggest limiting factor on oc's. I have every intention of buying the cheapest dual cpu in the conroe line... How high it goes will be based on the northbridge of the mobo I get to pair it up with.

Even memory should not be a burden...

I hope mobos can consistently get over 400mhz on the FSB. With the 333mhz standard on the way, it should be doable. I may watercool the northbridge before the CPU if things pan out.
Old 22nd June, 2006, 06:22 PM

Looks like Intel is staying right in step with production....

http://www.tgdaily.com/2006/06/22/in...s_leixlip_fab/
Old 22nd June, 2006, 09:40 PM
Member/Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to keithwalton Send a message via MSN to keithwalton Send a message via Yahoo to keithwalton

I cant believe its still a month away to the core 2 duo desktop chips are released officially, what with all the leaks over the last few months (and now some serious pre-release benches coming out) and e-tailers such as ocuk allready taking pre-orders on conroe's and the i965 boards to go with them.
Rumour has it the chips are ready in volume but the motherboards are lagging behind abit (mainly the mainstream 965 chipset) this is not the first time in recent years that intel has had a chipset shortage (recently ati bailed out intel with low end chipsets allowing them to concentrate on the 955 / 945 series chipsets)

woodcrest however the first in the new bunch of 'core' based cpu's is out on monday so we'll see just how good it really is then.

Also kentsfield chips have been tested in the wild which is the quad core chip that isnt due for another 6 months at least.
Old 29th June, 2006, 07:53 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

It will be great to see an honest shootout between AM2 "reverse hyper threading" CPU's and the Conroe family. Wonder if AMD will still hold the lead in gaming and Folding?
Old 30th June, 2006, 08:32 PM

omg!

omg!

Conroe has already reached and broke the 10 sec barrier in superPi 1M.
At blistering 9.8 sec @ 5.26ghz Conroe. The world's first chip to reach single digit number in Pi 1M bench.

work done by Coolaler
http://www.iamxtreme.net/coolaler/co...00BOX/5266.gif

that's like... 3 times faster than oc'ed A64

and with the revised steppings these chips are getting 4.0 ghz on air cooling. Very impressive.
ATi X1950XTX 512 CrossFire
Triple WD Raptor 10k HDDs@ raid 0
50" Panasonic Plasma TH50PHD7UY
50" Panasonic Plasma TH50PH9UK
BetterCable SilverSerpent SVGA & DVI-D
Sony BWU-100A Blu-Ray PC Drive

p4 - superPi - 31 sec.
pM - superPi - 28 sec.
conroe - superPi - 14 sec.
Old 30th June, 2006, 08:36 PM
AOA's resident barman

Send a message via ICQ to Favu Send a message via AIM to Favu Send a message via MSN to Favu

Who are all these people, why do they have Intel's chips before release, and is it just some ploy to whip up and enthusiast frenzy?

Custom 8-bit Sharp Z80 @ 4.194304 MHz
Reflective LCD @ 160 × 144
8 kByte S-RAM

Old 30th June, 2006, 08:43 PM

Engineering samples some people have chance to get their hands on the new sparkling chips to test em out.

Don't get too surprised just yet. Once the Conroe's are in production and wait till the *newer* steppings release. They will overclock even higher.

But I'm not planning to buy any Conroe though(been saving money for an Acura NSX). I still have my P-M Dothan chip@ 2.75 air cooled and it has plenty of power to satisfy my needs.

p4 - superPi - 31 sec.
pM - superPi - 28 sec.
Old 30th June, 2006, 08:50 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatever
Conroe has already reached and broke the 10 sec barrier in superPi 1M.
At blistering 9.8 sec @ 5.26ghz Conroe. The world's first chip to reach single digit number in Pi 1M bench.
What's he running for cooling? Liquid Helium?

Man, that score is just sick!
Old 30th June, 2006, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo
What's he running for cooling? Liquid Helium?

Man, that score is just sick!
LN2.. I think he got a newer stepping.

p4 - superPi - 31 sec.
pM - superPi - 28 sec.
Old 1st July, 2006, 01:22 PM
Member/Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to keithwalton Send a message via MSN to keithwalton Send a message via Yahoo to keithwalton

that guy allways has the latest greatest steppings of things that havent come out yet, it was only the other day he had a kentsfield chip (intel quad core) which isnt due out for another 6 months yet
Old 1st July, 2006, 05:22 PM

Most "members" of XS work for major OEM's, software developers, or channel distributors. I can find good-clocking chips here because of bioware and voodoopc, but release only.
Old 2nd July, 2006, 07:54 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Yarr, cadaveca is our "get them before anyone else does" champ. And quite rightly so. Once in a while other Members get hold of an Engineering Sample too. How do they do it? I'll never tell. Uhh, I don't know. Lets be honest here!
Old 2nd July, 2006, 08:42 PM

Too bad i pay through the arse to get my parts, while thosse posting big numbers in benchmarks(ie. higher than me) tend to ahve a friend somewhere.

ebay is good too. there are a few US retailers that get stuff just before release(some companies DO hard-launch products), and it takes time for companies to get thier products worldwide. As this happens, benchmarks appear.

So, as you can tell, Intel is ready for thier release of the Core 2 Duo line. It's just a matter of them spinning off enough of them for everyone.

AMD, on the otherhand...well...1207 pins looks good
Old 2nd July, 2006, 08:56 PM
Steve Jobs

There are also a couple of people on ebay flogging counterfeit Conroes and getting shut down.

I'll give you a hot tip. If you see an X6800 Conroe for a decent price, shipping out of Nigeria, I suggest looking elsewhere. Contrary to what the seller may say, Intel does not launch new chips at a market stall in the streets of Abuja.
Running Fedora 15 Linux (GNOME 3)
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Drivers, Games, Demos, Mods and Overclocking Tools At AOAFiles
Old 5th July, 2006, 01:18 AM
AOA Staff
Asteroids Champion, Maeda Path Champion, Disco Racer Champion, Alpha Bravo Charlie Champion, Van Champion

Send a message via MSN to Pitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsio
There are also a couple of people on ebay flogging counterfeit Conroes and getting shut down.

I'll give you a hot tip. If you see an X6800 Conroe for a decent price, shipping out of Nigeria, I suggest looking elsewhere. Contrary to what the seller may say, Intel does not launch new chips at a market stall in the streets of Abuja.
Oh crap..

XBL/PNS = neolad
Old 6th July, 2006, 12:19 AM
Metal Wizard

Well My Asus P5W DH arrived today!! Getting closer and closer. I will run it with my 950 Presler for awhile til I can muster the finances.I had to buy a new psu, the Enermax Liberty. It is then only psu I have ever ran with and tested that the rails do not ever vary. The volts stay at 12.407, 5.196 and 3.328 and they have never varied not even by a hundredth of a volt!! I just never heard of that before. Ok new motherboard, psu and DDR-2 memory. G.Skill 6400 HZ should be here by the weekend. It uses the D-9 fat bodies. (micron) yummy. 2 gigs for $244 and guys are running it 900 to 950 easy. I have seen it clocked to 1000 mhz!!! now just have to get a pci card. Was thinking about going cheap for now and getting an XFX 7900GT from newegg for $239. But dammit I want to eventually go Crossfire so I will get a 1900 and just groan a lot. My wife is really underwhelmed by all this but that's just too bad. My old systems are paying for the new. We have just had so many damn medical bills the last year. But hey the older systems are helping to pay those too!! This is the first time in all my years of computing that I will be on the front end of the newest technology insted of the middle or rear. Well hopefully there will soon be some of us in here who will actually be able to put up a thread about a Conroe that is ours. Til then I will keep accumalating parts.

WZ