AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Intel Motherboards & CPUs

Intel Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on INTEL products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 8th March, 2006, 09:13 PM
Member/Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to keithwalton Send a message via MSN to keithwalton Send a message via Yahoo to keithwalton

Intel Conroe

Well its only a few months to go now before intel's answer to the X2 finally gets here in the form of the conroe based cpu (desktop version of the yonah)
I've just seen some benchmarks of it from intel IDF and lets just say its quick, really quick. Running at 2.66GHz with a 1.066GHz fsb the dual core chip was in some situations 40% quicker than a Pentium D 950! (3.4GHz) They also put it up against an overclocked fx60 (clocked at 2.8GHz) and it was 15-30% quicker than the fx in games, upto 41% faster in f.e.a.r and some 30% faster at divx encoding.

Apparently most of the gains is from a tweaking of the way the chip handles sse* instructions in that it can do them all in a single pass where as before it used to take at least 2 passes.
Any sse optimized application is going to see a leap in performance and to think this was the 2.66GHz chip, on release there will be a 3GHz extreme edition chip.
oh and power consumption is down 40% as well to 65W TDP.

I wonder how it folds
Old 8th March, 2006, 09:19 PM
AOA Staff
Asteroids Champion, Maeda Path Champion, Disco Racer Champion, Alpha Bravo Charlie Champion, Van Champion

Send a message via MSN to Pitch

http://www.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=4843&page=1

Looks impressive.

XBL/PNS = neolad
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 9th March, 2006, 04:55 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

It would seem there are some questions about the accuracy of Intel's benches. Among other things, the BIOS version used on the AMD board, the driver set used for the video card, and the test setup are being questioned. Even Tom's Hardware is stating that, at this point, what they really have is little more than hype; there's precious little in the way of hard data to hang your hat on.

That being said, even if all Conroe does is get Intel back even with AMD, that is still a good thing, as it either spurs AMD to build something better, or it causes the prices to come down some more due to competition. And if Conroe is even half as good as Intel claims, then it ought to at least bring Intel back to parity with AMD in the performance arena, at least until AMD shifts to 65 nM, but by the time they do that, Intel should be at 45 nM.

All in all, things should be real interesting this year. Go Intel!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 9th March, 2006, 05:01 PM
AOA Staff
Asteroids Champion, Maeda Path Champion, Disco Racer Champion, Alpha Bravo Charlie Champion, Van Champion

The BIOS used on AMD's rig is indeed out of date.

However, the main revisions seem to be the FX60 recognition and some CnQ tweaks.

But still, we are comparing a next gen CPU to current tech. Either way, the results seem promising.

XBL/PNS = neolad
Old 9th March, 2006, 06:12 PM
Member/Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to keithwalton Send a message via MSN to keithwalton Send a message via Yahoo to keithwalton

I do agree that the intel controlled tests could be a little suss, the site i originally saw the benchmarks on (anandtech) has posted an update to adresses questions people had about the testing. I believe they managed to get some more time with the rigs and updated the bios on the a64 machine, and sorted out a ram timing issue on the intel one. They also brought a thumb drive with data for there own tests and ran tests that are usually pro-amd and yet they increased intel's lead in the test to in some cases more than 40%
Old 10th March, 2006, 01:07 PM
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Chesso

Sounds good, especially seen as i'm not with the whole AMD thing heh heh.
Old 10th March, 2006, 03:49 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithwalton
I do agree that the intel controlled tests could be a little suss, the site i originally saw the benchmarks on (anandtech) has posted an update to adresses questions people had about the testing. I believe they managed to get some more time with the rigs and updated the bios on the a64 machine, and sorted out a ram timing issue on the intel one. They also brought a thumb drive with data for there own tests and ran tests that are usually pro-amd and yet they increased intel's lead in the test to in some cases more than 40%
None of the numbers I saw show an increase of 40%, although I know that is what a lot of rags are reporting. The best increase of performance by Intel over AMD was just a bit over 30%. On average, it was about 20%.

Regardless though, it is fair to say that Conroe has a commanding performance edge over AMD's current offerings. However, it will be interesting to see what AMD responds with, since Conroe is still something like 6 months from release.

BTW, that in itself is something I find VERY interesting. The chip is 6 months from release, but we've got platforms and engineering samples that are ready to go? Anybody here thinking that Intel might release ahead of schedule?
Old 10th March, 2006, 07:57 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo
.... Anybody here thinking that Intel might release ahead of schedule?
I concur. I think Intel is ramping up marketing efforts, and possibly trying to dump older CPUs off their shelves...

OTOH, I'm really excited about conroes... Not sure which way to go, but I expect to have to upgrade 3 -4 machines sometime this summer. DDR2, AM2 and PCIX are big variables leading to big expenses. Having a viable alternative will present more opportunities to get better performance for the buck.
Old 11th March, 2006, 02:42 AM
Member/Contributor

40% was indeed abit over optimistic, its that much faster than a pentium d 950 not the fx, although this test comes close http://img.hexus.net/v2/internationa...onroe/fear.png

The chip is a Q3 part which puts it in the July - september time frame which is 4-7 months away I wouldnt be at all surprised if they show up early since a) silicon is working, b) no new chipset / mother board is required it will work on the 975 and the soon to be released 965 chipset as well.
The last few years intel have a habbit of releasing a new product towards the end of april / early may time frame. In 2003 it was the northwood c and the 875/65 series, and in 2004 it was the prescott and the 900 series chipsets. I do believe there is hughe price cuts coming on the 900 series cpu's in april
Old 11th March, 2006, 02:48 AM

Now are the 900's schedualed for Discount or phaseout???
Old 11th March, 2006, 03:16 AM
Member/Contributor

Discount, I seem to remember reading somewhere that the new core based chips are expected to take a 10% share of intel cpu's shipped in Q3, upto 20% by the end of Q4.

list of price cuts

http://www.digitimes.com/mobos/a20060213PR218.html

Last edited by keithwalton; 11th March, 2006 at 03:22 AM.
Old 12th April, 2006, 12:39 AM

well as far as i know...the 2.66 they use will not be the only release..there will also be a 3.0 out on its release, so maybe that is what they are working on
-Intel E6400 2.13 @ 3.044ghz 380fsb w/ zalman cnps9500-led L626A472
-EVGA 8800gtx
-2 WD caviar se16 250gb raid 0
-OCZ GameXStream 700
-Creative x-fi xtrememusic
-Samsung 226bw "S"
-all on Vista Ultimate...

my 2006 m roadster is still faster though
Old 12th April, 2006, 01:19 AM
AOA Staff

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets...spx?i=2738&p=1

A very interesting read.

XBL/PNS = neolad
Old 12th April, 2006, 11:49 AM
Team 45 Folder

Send a message via MSN to Got EpOx Send a message via Skype™ to Got EpOx

Interesting to see how the AM2 socket will be work out compared to Intel's new dual-core chip.
232GB Western Digital 'My Book' External HDD USB 2.0
80GB Hitachi SATA HDD
Onboard Audio
Intel GMA 950 Onboard Video
Want to make a difference without leaving your chair?, then join the AOA folding team today!
AOA Folding @Home
Old 20th April, 2006, 06:16 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitch
Thanks for the link, Pitch. It is a very interesting read. Pardon my pessimism, I think that AMD2 isn't worth thinking about, even if Conroe wasn't coming down the pike. Shame on AMD, Socket 939 is good enough.
Old 22nd April, 2006, 05:46 PM
AOA Staff

http://www.hkepc.com/bbs/news.php?tid=587650

http://www.hkepc.com/bbs/attachments...Qpspv8tKei.jpg

XBL/PNS = neolad
Old 22nd April, 2006, 11:20 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

I'm speechless, my Asian is extremely close to nonexistent. But the comparison graphics are impossible to miss. Even if they are lying by 50% I'm getting a yen for a Conroe box.
Old 23rd April, 2006, 02:30 AM
Member/Contributor

that is one quick chip, they are running that with an extreme fsb but still isnt the first XE conroe going to clock quicker than that! 3.33GHz on a 1066 (266) fsb i believe
Old 23rd April, 2006, 03:16 AM
AOA Staff

I might add that that's a 30% overclock on air cooling.

XBL/PNS = neolad
Old 23rd April, 2006, 05:16 AM
Member/Contributor/Resident Crystal Ball

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadaveca
Conroe comes.
http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/383774-post4.html

IF this release has MY attention, it should have yours as well. I hate Intel.

But Conroe comes...VERY soon.