AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Intel Motherboards & CPUs

Intel Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on INTEL products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 16th March, 2006, 05:51 PM

Question How can I overclock my ECS PT800CE?

How can I overclock my ECS PT800CE?

My ECS (Elitegroup Computer Systems) PT800CE has an Intel P4 Prescott 3.0GHz/1MB/800MHz CPU installed that I would really like to overclock to somewhere around 3.5GHz.

Unfortunately there does not seem to be any overclocking utility or info from ECS so any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thankx.
Old 16th March, 2006, 07:15 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Welcome to AOA's Forums, thewizard-oz!

ECS's mainboards are more OCable than they used to be. With luck, a Member with experience with your m'board will answer your Q.
Old 17th March, 2006, 06:30 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

This m'board is a bit unusual, but I know there's a Member who knows its in and outs.
Old 17th March, 2006, 06:32 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

I don't know anything about the ECS mobo, but I'll see if I can offer some assistance anyway.
Any BIOS settings to OC with? E.g. FSB, memory divider, things like that?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 28th March, 2006, 04:31 AM
Metal Wizard

Well it is Overclackable. But the ECS boards in general are fairly weak even at stock. your board uses the VIA chipset. This is just not a good board for intel processors. In the future you must make sure you get a board with an intel chipset. In your case any board. Abit, Asus, Epox, Etc. etc. would have been vastly better. But, you have what you have. You can access your bios by hitting the delete button over and over right after you hit the start button. once it starts it will go to the bios first page. in the bios your mouse does not work. You will use the arrow keys, the enter key, and the escape key. Once you are done in the bios you will hit the F10 key then the enter it will then reboot into windows. It would be nice to know what memory you have before you start. Once the bios page opens you will go to the power bios page here you will set the cpu adjustment to manual. With your board do not shoot for the 3.5 all at once. I would start at 210fsb which would bring you up to 3150mhz scroll down and turn your v-core (volts) up one notch. Then go down the list and make sure your mem is on the 5:4 divider or the 3:2 divider. Let me know which it is. then go down and turn up your mem voltage all the way. Well as high as 2.9 although I belive on that board it allows for a mem voltage increase by the percent range with a max of 6%.
Which would be a .15v increase over the 2.5 stock voltage. So you will top out at 2.65. That is very low by the way. you may need to get some G.Skill or other Tccd mem but hey,maybe not. Again I NEED to know what mem you have!!! Once you have your cpu turned up and all your settings here done hit escape. this will take you back to the contents page. Using the arrow keys scroll to the "Advanced Chipset" page. Here you will find your mem timings.
you will see that your mem is on Auto By SPD this means your "System" based on your mem and it's factory settings as well as the speed it is running will all be adjusted by the motherboard. You can hi-light that ,hit enter and set it to manual. Do not change timings just yet. just get familiar. Let me know the timings the SPD has set and let me know what mem you have!!! Remember to change a setting you have to hi-light it by scrolling to it with the arrow keys then hit enter. this will open a sub box and you can adjust what ever you need to by scrolling with the arrow keys. when you hilight that new setting you want. Again,hit enter. When you are satisfied with all you have done hit F10 then enter and see if it will boot! If it won't boot do not get excited . unplug your power supply and pull the CMOS jumper on the mother board. It will have one. Look it up in the manual. Pull it for a few seconds plug it back in and reconnect your power supply and hit the start button and go back into the bios again and start over. It is a lot easier than it sounds. Go play but, let me know what memory you have. go ahead and give me all the specs. power supply brand and output is important too. What type and how much memory. give me a good run down of what you have for us to work with.

WeldZilla
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 28th March, 2006, 04:29 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Great post, very helpful- thanks weldzilla!
Old 29th March, 2006, 02:52 AM
Metal Wizard

You know it is actually my pleasure. I am just sorry there is not a way to get the word out to people before they buy a Motherboard and are committed to it. It would sure make life easier for everyone. Although I have come to look at it as a first step in the right direction. He will learn how to navigate a bios and get the basics of overclocking down. Then one day when he (or She) changes motherboards they will make a better informed decision and get better results. So although he did not hit it out of the park this time at least he got a base hit!

WZ
Old 5th April, 2006, 08:55 PM
AOA Staff

yes very awsome post weldzilla!
I actually bought that same motherboard recently and am using it for my second computer. I don't plan on overclocking it, but some day it would be fun to see if I can't get my Pentium 4 2.6GHz to clock higher. You know when it is obsolete. It actually still plays games like Battlefield 42 and Battlefront.
I am using a Gig of Kingston sticks of RAM.
And a GeForce 4 MX 440 video card.
The Pentium 4 is running at 533 Mhz.

It was basicly a budget gaming rig to start my home network.
The ECS board was only $40 at Outpost.com and they didn't even pack
it very well. But it worked fine. No leds on the board though.
If I were to invest in a better Heatsink & fan then it would be ready for some overclocking. I only have a copper stock headsink with a 60mm fan.
Havn't had any problems yet.
PlayOnLinux 4.2.10
Linux Guides: PC Games Linux Beginners Tips Linux Games List
Mack Truck Dungeon Of Fire Spray Booth Tutorial