AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Intel Motherboards & CPUs

Intel Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on INTEL products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 9th March, 2002, 11:22 AM

Send a message via AIM to ItHuNkPuNk

Waiting game or upgrade

With all the proposed technology in the near future (ie AMD hammer CPUs, Serial ATAII, etc) I am wondering if I should buy a new system now or wait a few months..

I sold my p4 1.8 and am in the market for another comp around $1200

I might be persuaded to go AMD if that Sledgehammer is half as stable as the p4 is

should I wait?
Old 9th March, 2002, 04:41 PM
Banned

Should you wait.

If it's a matter of starting fresh, and spending that amount of money, I'd say "YES".
Old 10th March, 2002, 01:43 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Assuming that you have a "B-Box," as in a second working PC, waiting may be an excellent idea. If the "gotta have it's" are too strong to resist this is an excellent site to discuss the merits of proposed hardware configs!

If you're not OCing, AMD rigs are just as reliable as Intel's are. The only "must remember" is that heat is a larger concern with AMD machines. Many folks will probably say that there's no difference in reliability, overclocked or not. This presumes that the proper cooling hardware is in place. A slight shift in mental gears is needed, that's all.
Old 10th March, 2002, 02:26 AM
eobard

1) If you wait what will you be running in the mean time? How modern is your backup and what do you regularly do when you compute?

2) The waiting game sux, let's play Hungry, Hungry Hippos!
Old 10th March, 2002, 02:51 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by eobard
1) If you wait what will you be running in the mean time? How modern is your backup and what do you regularly do when you compute?

2) The waiting game sux, let's play Hungry, Hungry Hippos!
LOL! YAY!! HHP!

Well.. my personal computer is only a p3 500, but I have regular access to a p4 1.9

How long should I wait?
Old 10th March, 2002, 03:01 AM
eobard

P3 500 Isn't too obsolete to drive you nuts, expecially if you have regular access to a P4 1.9. If you're willing, wait long enough for Sledgehammer to materalize and be proven reliable or not, then make your choice.

I get to be the orange Hippo.
Old 10th March, 2002, 04:21 AM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

I agree about waiting but for different reasons. The best use for fast CPUs right now is folding... You really don't need a massive CPU for a lot of things.. All the little goodies are what are worth waiting for: USB2, firewire (on mobo), serial ATA or ATA133 and much more... will be standard later in the year. (Yes, we are starting to see some already, but still not much of a selection just yet). Hopefully, in the not too distant future the look of the i/o plate will change dramatically.

I'm probably going to upgrade sometime in the fall when mobos have more features and support much more.
Old 10th March, 2002, 06:14 AM

ARGH!! needing that crystal ball right now

I'm Green!!
Old 10th March, 2002, 10:50 AM

Send a message via ICQ to dimmreaper Send a message via AIM to dimmreaper

Waiting sucks!

No matter what you buy it will be old within 3 months.

I'd only wait if you don't plan to buy another machine for 2 years or more. If you're the type that upgrades/replaces hardware every 12 months or less, don't wait, take the leap . . . .

Wishing you were someone else is a waste of the person you are. - Kurt Cobain

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11th March, 2002, 07:09 AM

I guess i'll just wait for the gf4TI 46arsewhooper to come out (unless it already is?) Thats whats really holding me back.

*WOOT!! 200 POSTS!!*
hehe.. well.. hope nobody noticed the padding.. lol.. :nervous: