AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Intel Motherboards & CPUs

Intel Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on INTEL products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 22nd April, 2006, 03:15 AM

P4T-533c w/ P4 2.26GHz 533FSB

I have a comp in the about specs and having issue with running it at its original speed after I left it off for a month or so... i can't only run at most at 2.02 GHz. Does anyone know what could be the problem? Please help!

When running @ 2.26... the screen doesn't even come up.
Old 25th April, 2006, 07:07 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Welcome to AOA Forums, ranimboy!

This is a tough question, I freely admit. Why not take off the left side case cover and have a quick look inside? Perhaps a blob of dust is fouling the processor's fan? Maybe, just maybe the increase in ambient temperature has made enough difference to slow down the machine. Assuming you live in the Northern Hemisphere, that is. Are you using the HSF that comes with a Retail Boxed CPU? Nothing wrong with that if you don't want to overclock your mosheen.
Old 25th April, 2006, 08:34 PM

Pretty sure that there's no dust... I have two heat sinks + fan, both from intel retail box and I've tried both using the Arctic Silver thermal paste. My suspicion is on either the motherboard or the power supply since it seems to run fine on another tower I have. I just want to see if there's a way to fix it through the BIOS or switches on board, since the hardware runs perfectly fine when under the 2.02 settings, after all, I've paid the money for a 2.26, and not a 2.02.

If it helps, here's some more info:
MBoard: ASUS P4T-533-C
Processor: P4 Northwood 2.26GHz 533MHz FSB
Memory: 768 MB RDRAM 800MHz on 4 RIMM
Sound: On board
Graphics: ASUS (not sure what model but about 3 years old)

everything else is standard pretty much

Last edited by ranimboy; 25th April, 2006 at 08:41 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 3rd May, 2006, 04:57 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Sorry for the delay in trying to answer your question. If the CPU runs fine in a different machine then it's not the culprit. Just to make sure, you carefully removed the thin lozenge of phase change material that's on the bottom of Retail Boxed heatsinks before applying Arctic Siver?
If the PSU is a cheapie, it could be a problem. Even though it worked well a month ago, it may have become a senior citizen with motivation problems after that nice vacation. Why not have a look at the electrolytic capacitors on the m'board(they look like miniature cans, and there's a few of them close to the CPU's socket) to make sure that they aren't oozing or leaking. Hope this helps.