AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Intel Motherboards & CPUs

Intel Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on INTEL products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 23rd April, 2006, 05:58 AM
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to membreya Send a message via MSN to membreya

Acceptable temps for P4 D805?

I've decided to OC my rig a little. At stock both cores run @ 2.66ghz with a CPU temp of 47 - 48 celcius under 100% load (both cores running F@H)

I've used ASUS A.I. booster and have it set to OC to 110% with 146x20.

The system is happily running at 2.9ghz and I've not had any crashes with windows or with F@H however the CPU is running at 50-51 (mb temp is 38 up from 35-36). Saying that however, it's quite toasty in this room as the heater is on.

What is the highest temp I can take my CPU to without risking problems?

Also might it be an issue with my case? At the moment I'm running a Antec SuperLanboy case.

I currently have 2x80mm fans (on the front performing intake and at the rear doing exhaust) My PSU has an intake fan on the bottom (intake) and at the rear (exhaust) however that would just be sucking warm air out and not injecting any cold air.

Aside from those fans, the only other cooling I have is the stock HSF.

Would it be advisable to cut a hole in the case window and install say a 120mm fan to do cold air intake?
Old 23rd April, 2006, 07:37 AM
Banned

hmm, well according to the Intel site:

Thermal Spec 64.1°C

That means I can take it to a max of that temp and the core won't crack, the system won't melt and the four horsemen of the apocolypse won't appear? :P
Old 23rd April, 2006, 08:52 AM
Banned

Ok, well I went a little bit further and have both cores running at 3.2ghz quite easily.

F@H is running both cores at 100% load, no system problems, no crashes. CPU Temp is currently @ 53-54 degrees celcius

Currently running with an FSB of 640 and the following CPU setup 160 x 20

EDIT: Well looks like, unless we get a sudden heatwave, I am going to be running at 3.2 for a while. At least until I can arrange some better cooling. Either a better HSF or I might sink $200 AUD and get a water cooler kit

My case makes a big difference to the CPU temp though, running with the side of the case on it got up to 55..without the case sides on it's 50-51 Guess I will have to drill a hole in this puppy and put some big intakes on.

Another thing I noticed as well, my CPU fan speed has dropped from 2800 to 2200 by taking the side of the case off

Last edited by membreya; 23rd April, 2006 at 09:04 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!