AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Intel Motherboards & CPUs

Intel Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on INTEL products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 11th July, 2006, 05:22 PM

Send a message via MSN to saquib

Arrow Gaming Support for Dual Core CPUs or Go fo Console?

I'm planning to get a AMD X2 4400+ for myself. But Im really confused, as I barely see any games supporting or taking advantages of Dual Cores. So I'd like to know the name of some games that would support Dual Cores! Also, is the Next NFS (Carbon) having any support for Dual Cores?? I just might get an old xbox instead and get loads of games, just to spend some time having fun without spending too much money for too little advantage, and may be later sometime around 2007 ill get a PS3 and leave PC gaming for good.

Winchester S939 3500+ on MSI K8N NF4-SLI Platinum
4 x 512 MB TwinMos (DDR400:CL2.5)
MSI nVidia 7800GTX, SB Audigy 2 ZS
Samsung 2ms 3000:1 DV-I LCD @ 1680x1050
2x80GB IDE7200RPM + LG24XCDRW + LiteON16X DVD
ENERMAX 460w PSU
Xbox 360 Premium
NAD C320BEE, Yamaha RXV7300 DSP
Windows XP 64 Bit Edition, Ubuntu on XGL
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11th July, 2006, 05:29 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

This thread from the AMD processor support forums might help?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11th July, 2006, 06:25 PM
Member/Contributor/Resident Crystal Ball

XBOX360 is a multi core machine, as is the PS3.
Old 11th July, 2006, 07:20 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

True, but games for the XBOX360 and PS3 are actually (hopefully) written to take advantage of that. Buying a gaming PC with a dual-core proc, only to discover that very few games take advantage of the dual-core, would be rather distressing.

For myself, I tend to buy game machines to play games, and use computers for real work. (mostly) (well, usually) (ok, ok, sometimes!)
Old 11th July, 2006, 08:43 PM
AOA Staff

It would seem that the game developers are favouring support for Physx processor, rather than dual-core CPUs.

It's a shame, but I can see some logic. The average gamer will find it easier to drop in an add-on card compared to upgrading their CPU. Most PC owners will not want to attempt fitting a new CPU.

I think support will come eventually, once dual-core becomes the norm.
Old 12th July, 2006, 04:45 PM

Send a message via MSN to saquib

i seem to have this fear, that PC gaming would be lost in many comparison's if you consider the COST EFFECTIVENESS for these new generation consoles. its kinda sad, but kinda true. PC games are alcking the wide different type of games that consoles have, moreover, consoles are utilizing 100% of watever they got. all the consoel games are so highly optimized for the respective systems than the PCs. sob sob...

but im gonna wait a while so DX 10 shwos up and by that time PS3 and X360 would mature as well, before investing. im probably going to Malaysia in a month. There I could get a modded XBOX for around 250U$ another 50$ for a extra Harddrive, and around 20 gams for like less than 80$. .... add up 2 extra controllers (35$), a Advanced AV Pack (20$) and I'm done. So i can wait for someime till next gen matures, exclusive nexgen titles show up and DX 10 based games release... later arnd late 2007 i can make my final move on what to get. and i cud still keep ma xbox for multimedia purposes and some good ol' classics. thats all in the price of a nice dual core cpu which would not change my gaming experience that much, and ill need a DX 10 based graphics card (400$ more) to really get advantage over my 7800GTX....

Winchester S939 3500+ on MSI K8N NF4-SLI Platinum
4 x 512 MB TwinMos (DDR400:CL2.5)
MSI nVidia 7800GTX, SB Audigy 2 ZS
Samsung 2ms 3000:1 DV-I LCD @ 1680x1050
2x80GB IDE7200RPM + LG24XCDRW + LiteON16X DVD
ENERMAX 460w PSU
Xbox 360 Premium
NAD C320BEE, Yamaha RXV7300 DSP
Windows XP 64 Bit Edition, Ubuntu on XGL