AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Intel Motherboards & CPUs

Intel Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on INTEL products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 9th August, 2006, 02:00 AM
Metal Wizard

My P5W DH

Well I had planned to make this a paying article but, I am working too many hours and on the side I am rebuilding and repairing too many computers for too many people with too little MONEY!!. But, I digress
You know I had my P5W DH sitting around her for a full month before I could use it. In that time I went from ecstatic that I snagged one to worried as I began reading of the miriad of problems that people were having getting them to run properly. I read about problems withthe remote, setting up the Intel ICH7 raid and more I was almost tempted to sell this obviously horrible board before I ever hit the power button.
This was not my only dilemma, I also had a 950 Pentium D 950 processor that on my Asus P5P800SE would fall on it's face at 4000mhz
No matter the voltage or how cold it was. Well I went back and read in the benches where someone had commented that his cpu score right there with my overall score on 3D05. Yes his CPU score was nearly 8000!!
Well that was enough motivation for me to just be patient and wait for my new pieces to come together. I have been doing this a long time and I have read about countless problems that people have had using the same equipment as me,yet I had no such problems. Well finally all my pices came together and it was time for a new system. WeldZilla 2 was about to get a refit. It has house a 2.4C,a 3.0C, a LGA775 socket 3.2, a 3.4 then a 3.4 Presler. Now it houses the 950Presler on the latest Generation Motherboard From Asus the 975X
Here is a shot of the boxes of the new parts. I have never had a Christmas this good!!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v253/WeldZilla/g.jpg
There is a great potential there for many reviews.
But first, I better just put this one together here's the mobo on the counter with the CPU installed
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v253/WeldZilla/a.jpg
WZ-2 was waiting patiently in the computer room.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v253/WeldZilla/a1.jpg
The mobo is installed and I have put a bit of AS-3 on the cpu
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v253/WeldZilla/b.jpg
Then I mounted the water block and installed the memory
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v253/WeldZilla/e.jpg
Then of course it was time to plug in the vid card the also new 2 western digital 160gig sata drives to be put into a raid0 array. A new DVD burner and a new floppy drive.
I will get to the fire up next post.

WZ

Last edited by weldzilla; 15th August, 2006 at 11:58 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 9th August, 2006, 02:35 AM
Alien Clones Champion

Location: Queensland Australia ''Oh'' the beauitful sunny coast!
Send a message via MSN to QSDT

Looking good.
Monitor Dell 24'' 2407WFP ''WOW that's all I can say''

Why is Phonetic not spelt Phonetically, and why is the word Abbreviation so long?

My Ex gives 100% sound adivce, 99% sound, 1% adivce.

69% of all statistics are made up!

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 9th August, 2006, 05:56 AM
Metal Wizard

Time to bring it!!

Well after everything was all connected and I was satisfied I formatted a floppy disc then fired up and set the bios to look for a raid array. then booted off the P5W DH chipset disc and loaded up the ICH7 raid drivers in my case for 32 bit windows. Then as the machine went through the boot sequence I hit CTRL I together and set up my raid0 array then I rebooted yet again and installed windows along with the raid drivers and it was off to the races. This little sweetie loaded up windows in about 6 minutes!! then it was time to start loading drivers, installing virus protection, adding my new baby to the network \, loading a gazillion windows updates including service pack 2 WMP11 and WME9 So I could bench it. I spent the whole first evening installing programs,updates and moving pictures and info on to this system. As soon as windows was loded though I immediately clocked it to 4513mhz during all the installing and loading. It was very content with that speed. I ran PCmark04 at that speed also just to have a look see at what it might do. I now bench higher.
I hope you are sitting down for this.

This is just the tip of the iceburg.
Stay tuned!!

WZ
Attached Thumbnails
My P5W DH-pc04a.jpg   My P5W DH-yup.jpg  
Old 9th August, 2006, 09:01 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/images/frontpage.gif
Old 10th August, 2006, 01:09 AM
Metal Wizard

Back to it

Well since the first hours of this new machine's life I have been playing with the mem clocks and the timings. Getting a sense of what the sometimes subtle changes effect. As we all know hyper speed is only great if it is stable!! I believe memory is the biggest dtermining factor in high clock stability. Seems kinda mind boggling to be running 530mhz
you remember PCMark02 I can remember when I first broke 10,000 on the mem score with my 2.4C I thought I had the world by the tail. I still run it to see how my raid drive scores. Here is a look at my pc02 score with this system. I was a bit stunned by the mem score. The HDD score is what I was hoping for with a raid0 array.

Well here are some more benches for you to scope out.you know This E-VGA 7900GT "Reloaded" Card has surpassed my expectations

WZ

Last edited by weldzilla; 25th October, 2006 at 05:32 AM.
Old 10th August, 2006, 03:45 AM
Metal Wizard

Multipliers

This evening I have been fooling a bit with the 16x multi. I increased the bus speed to 290fsb. This machine is incredible.
It has just a fabulous pci bus The pieces I have assembled are truly getting the most from each other. These single card Aquamark3 and
3D2001SE scores are just phenominal for a single card!! Especially a 7900GT you just wait til I get a Conroe plugged into this system. Until then check out these scores. These are not flukes I get in this range on every run No problem. There are Crossfire rigs out there that will fall to my AQMK3 Scores!! Enough talk here you go
I will keep squezzing this thing. Hey it has only been running 3 days!!
http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=9023411

WZ
Attached Thumbnails
My P5W DH-3d2001se.jpg   My P5W DH-16x.jpg   My P5W DH-aqmk3a.jpg  

Last edited by weldzilla; 14th August, 2006 at 04:35 AM.
Old 10th August, 2006, 03:53 AM
Member/Contributor/Resident Crystal Ball

set pci-e to 125mhz to get you card higher.
Old 10th August, 2006, 04:00 AM

Send a message via MSN to Rondog

In 3DM06 your CPU score is higher than my actual score.

Nice setup.

Rig 1: Intel Core i5 750,4gb,HD6870,500gb,W7 Ult x64
Old 10th August, 2006, 04:09 AM
Metal Wizard

Memory Cooling

You know I an running an 80mm fan on my memory. It also catches part of the Northbridge. I3 inches to the right of my memory and vid card. Or should I just say my motherboard I have 2 x 120mm fans grabbing the air being shoved in to my system via the radiator the 2 big fans grab that air and blow it over all surfaces I also have a 120mm fan in the bottom of my case ramming air right up to my vid card. The point to all of this is that my memory,Northbridge and vid card are all very cool. This is a great help when hunting hi-clocks and stability My system is surprisingly quiet.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...dZilla/fff.jpg
That mem is cool!!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v253/WeldZilla/i.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v253/WeldZilla/k.jpg
I believe in a good combination of water and air cooling to achieve the results you are after. Oh yes there is always more extreme solutions too

WZ

Last edited by weldzilla; 10th August, 2006 at 04:13 AM.
Old 10th August, 2006, 04:24 AM
Alien Clones Champion

Location: Queensland Australia ''Oh'' the beauitful sunny coast!
Send a message via MSN to QSDT

6+ volts on ram is this right? If yes WOW.
Monitor Dell 24'' 2407WFP ''WOW that's all I can say''

Why is Phonetic not spelt Phonetically, and why is the word Abbreviation so long?

My Ex gives 100% sound adivce, 99% sound, 1% adivce.

69% of all statistics are made up!

AOA Team fah
Old 10th August, 2006, 09:46 AM
Member/Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to keithwalton Send a message via MSN to keithwalton Send a message via Yahoo to keithwalton

Not bad scores, but with a conroe you will thrash them!
I tried pcmark 04 and it failed the grammer check It is otherwise blindingly quick through the test. I'm only running a x1900xt but check the benchmark section, i hit 52k in 3dm'01, 12.5k in '05
I should bench it some more!

and no i doubt its 6v QSDT that program is buggy at the best of times and well you can hit those sort of mem speeds on 2.2v so i dont see why 6 is needid!
Old 10th August, 2006, 10:02 AM

Send a message via MSN to Rondog

Nice setup. Love the colour scheme. I see Cascada - Everytime on your desktop. I like that song too.

Rig 1: Intel Core i5 750,4gb,HD6870,500gb,W7 Ult x64
Old 10th August, 2006, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithwalton
Not bad scores, but with a conroe you will thrash them!
I tried pcmark 04 and it failed the grammer check It is otherwise blindingly quick through the test. I'm only running a x1900xt but check the benchmark section, i hit 52k in 3dm'01, 12.5k in '05
I should bench it some more!

and no i doubt its 6v QSDT that program is buggy at the best of times and well you can hit those sort of mem speeds on 2.2v so i dont see why 6 is needid!
Grammar check failure is due to the multi-core. I didn't think this would pass over to Conroe...
Old 11th August, 2006, 01:43 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Very impressive rig, thanks for posting it!
Old 11th August, 2006, 04:17 AM
Metal Wizard

Fine tuning

Well I have been playing with the pci frequency. Thanks Dave for throwing me that info. I actually remembered that changing it could could help just could not remember in what way. I was headed over to Xtreme to do some reading. Well I set it right stright to 125 and the system would not boot. system asked me to boot the boot disc in the appropriate drive and reboot.
So I backed the pci frequency down to 114 restarted and it booted just fine! I was able to clock my vid card up to 624/894 tonight for an aquamark3 run. I also in creased the fsb. Then I went out and blew the doors off AQMK3! Here is a shot of the score and my clocks

This is all just too much fun!!

WZ
Attached Thumbnails
My P5W DH-wow1.jpg  

Last edited by weldzilla; 11th August, 2006 at 04:19 AM.
Old 11th August, 2006, 04:31 AM

might be 115 for that chipset. nVidia chipsets work best @ 125mhz, AFAIK.

The reason as to why is basic physics...you match the pci-e speed to the card's base clockspeed, or, really, a multiple thereof. This decreases latency, not just in time it takes the info to travel, but also in the bus-speed conversion.

The EPP(Enhanced Performance Profile) nVidia feature does just the same; ups the mem frequency, pci-e frequency, and card clocks.

Last edited by cadaveca; 11th August, 2006 at 04:33 AM.
Old 13th August, 2006, 01:55 AM

all i can say is good choice of ram, ive got the same board but its ok........... anyway what about using pcmark05 for a change 04 doesnt like dual cores and besides whats the point in using old benchmarks with new tech?catch me at 10.5k in 3dmark06 single card

Last edited by bradmax57; 13th August, 2006 at 01:58 AM.
Old 13th August, 2006, 02:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradmax57
all i can say is good choice of ram, ive got the same board but its ok........... anyway what about using pcmark05 for a change 04 doesnt like dual cores and besides whats the point in using old benchmarks with new tech?catch me at 10.5k in 3dmark06 single card
and almost 200k in aquamark

p.s to all those people who say a 79xx gx2 isnt a single card - SHUT UP! of course it is!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by bradmax57; 13th August, 2006 at 02:07 AM.
Old 13th August, 2006, 02:08 AM
Metal Wizard

Well I take it you are running the 7950GX2 I have no chance with a $ 236 dollar single 7900gt I will go after your cpu scores say on O5 where My Presler can run right past 10,500 on cpu score. I will even these parts out soon enough and then we'll have a look see. Either way I will say Brad it is good to see you with a nice Intel system. For me G.Skill has been the only mem for a long time. Hey really glad to see you squeezing pushing your new system to it's limits. enjoy.........
I have much to learn about this new board and I am having a great time doing it......

WZ

Last edited by weldzilla; 13th August, 2006 at 02:09 AM.
Old 13th August, 2006, 02:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradmax57
and almost 200k in aquamark

p.s to all those people who say a 79xx gx2 isnt a single card - SHUT UP! of course it is!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
LoL...i was thinking of picking up one myself to paly with, altohugh i think i'll go for the standard 7950 instead of the 7900 you got.

Sad to say it brad, but 10.5k is what i got w/ A64!!!