AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Intel Motherboards & CPUs

Intel Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on INTEL products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 26th September, 2006, 07:46 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Intel pledges 80 cores in five years

Intel has built a prototype of a processor with 80 cores that can perform a trillion floating point operations per second.

Read more on the Front Page:
http://www.aoaforums.com/frontpage/content/view/1229/2/
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 26th September, 2006, 08:55 PM

Send a message via MSN to skool h8r

80 ftw! Which home user seriously needs 80 cores in a single processor. We're only just coming to terms with dual-core (not us, the general public) and quad-cores aren't something they are expecting. There's already been a 32 core from Sun Microsystems but 80!

Overkill IMHO!

YouTube - Benchmark Results (Coming Soon!)
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 26th September, 2006, 08:59 PM

interesting info.
Old 26th September, 2006, 09:06 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

32 cores or 32 threads? The UltraSPARC T1 runs 32 threads across 8 cores. Intel's silicon was made up of 80 simple floating point cores, designed to test various mechanisms of interconnecting cores and memory in order to maximise throughput.
Old 26th September, 2006, 09:12 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by skool h8r
80 ftw! Which home user seriously needs 80 cores in a single processor. We're only just coming to terms with dual-core (not us, the general public) and quad-cores aren't something they are expecting. There's already been a 32 core from Sun Microsystems but 80!

Overkill IMHO!
ME! I NEED IT! ( sorry, purely an emotional responce...but that don't mean it ain't the truth! ":O}

(Oh, I don't know...offer me one and let's see if I turn it down!":O}
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Last edited by Daniel ~; 26th September, 2006 at 09:14 PM.
Old 26th September, 2006, 10:35 PM

where do I preorder?
4-4-4-12
160GB
256 MB 6800GT 413/1102
Main Rig
AMD 4000+ 2772 MHz w/ DFI SLI DR
2GB Corsair XMS (with LED's of course)@ 2.5-3-2-11 @ 240MHz
250GB HDD SATA2
Xfi-64MB X-Ram
WMCE
7800GTX OC-516(+40Mhz Delta clock)/1300
AOA Team fah
"The motherboard installation section essentially said "refer to motherboard manual for installation instructions". My motherboard manual of course said "refer to case manual for further installation instructions"."
Old 26th September, 2006, 10:37 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

You can send me $438.26 in cash (each), and I promise to remember you when they come out.
Old 27th September, 2006, 12:22 AM

Send a message via MSN to |I.H|

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo
You can send me $438.26 in cash (each), and I promise to remember you when they come out.
Where do i send it to then?

Old 27th September, 2006, 01:00 AM
Member/Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to keithwalton Send a message via MSN to keithwalton Send a message via Yahoo to keithwalton

Is this the chip that was running at just under 2MHz in a 430TX board yet able to run windows xp!

Everything is going parrallel cpu wise. Intel are working on interconnects between cpu's and are heading in the right direction and hitting some serious amounts of b/w in a chip.

This is the monkey im refering to http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=34623
both seem to mention being prototype hardware and having terabit interconnects

Last edited by keithwalton; 27th September, 2006 at 01:04 AM.
Old 27th September, 2006, 03:56 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo
Let me guess we'll have to pre-order RAM to help you remember us? Besides $410.00 seems way more reasonable!!
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Old 27th September, 2006, 04:00 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithwalton
Is this the chip that was running at just under 2MHz in a 430TX board yet able to run windows xp!

Everything is going parrallel cpu wise. Intel are working on interconnects between cpu's and are heading in the right direction and hitting some serious amounts of b/w in a chip.

This is the monkey im refering to http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=34623
both seem to mention being prototype hardware and having terabit interconnects
Thanks Keith! I just tumbled to what's going on here! 2MHZ! How close to a 200 MHZ CPU does a 80 core chip @ 2 Mhz come in it heat out put? I'll read the article! Thanks.
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Last edited by Daniel ~; 27th September, 2006 at 04:01 AM.
Old 27th September, 2006, 02:37 PM

80 cores...that processor must be the size of a motherboard!

...just imagine the size of the motherboard!
Old 27th September, 2006, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithwalton
No, the part you linked to is a different system. The chip being talked about at the top of this thread is a chip that is not IA32 compatible (So won't run Windows). There's no integer component, it's pure floating point. However, it is part of the same project, but a different part.

Last edited by Áedán; 27th September, 2006 at 03:17 PM.
Old 27th September, 2006, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zinoberrot
80 cores...that processor must be the size of a motherboard!
Not if each core is little more than a FPU with switch fabric. It's designed to allow the modelling of large scale high speed interconnects.
Old 27th September, 2006, 04:03 PM
Member/Contributor/Resident Crystal Ball

Here's what they were showing...prototype, already masked. Intel is here in town, and I'll be speaking with them later this afternoon.

Quote:
Intel announced the Intel Core Processor Challenge to award up to $1 million in prizes to the PC or CE manufacturers that designs the smallest, most stylish, multimedia optimized PCs based on Intel Viiv technology with Intel Core 2 Duo processors. The challenge is intended to speed up the availability of more stylish and smaller consumer PCs that have the performance and power efficiency thanks to Intel core 2 Duo processors, as well as the essential multimedia capabilities that Intel Viiv technology delivers, making them a great entertainment system for any room in the home. Systems will be evaluated on attributes of style, acoustics, functionality and features by an all-star panel of judges, and winners will be announced at the Spring IDF 2007! Intel will award the grand prize winner with up to $300,000 for hard tooling of their winning design and $400,000 for co-marketing activities with Intel for the winning design. The first place winner will receive up to $300,000 for hard tooling for their winning design. Systems submitted for the challenge will be rated early next year by a distinguished panel of judges with expertise in technology, design, fashion and style. The winner will be announced at the Spring Intel Developer Forum to be held March 20-22, 2007 in San Francisco. Additional details and criteria can be found here.
http://www.podtech.net/home/technolo...ssor-challenge

I want that cash!
Attached Thumbnails
Intel pledges 80 cores in five years-80coreslice.jpg  

Last edited by cadaveca; 27th September, 2006 at 04:05 PM.