AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Intel Motherboards & CPUs

Intel Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on INTEL products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 17th October, 2006, 08:12 PM

SoundMAX driver for Windows 98

Hello, i got ASUS mobo - P5V800-MX, and Windows 98se. Unfortunatels i cant get sound to work, sound card is integrated in mobo(ADI AD1986 SoundMAX 6). I was looking for many dirvers on google, but i found only ones wich are made for windows XP(and other similar). Is there any way to get it to work on windows 98?
Old 18th October, 2006, 08:45 PM
Metal Wizard

Well if there is I certainly can't find it. have you tried the driver that cane with the board just to see? remember when Windows 98 was around, Hi-def audio wasn't. you may have to settle on a sound card.
An older one at that.

WZ
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 19th October, 2006, 06:03 PM

Driver wich came with mobo, is win XP only driver, but afaik firmware for that sound chip was manufactured@early 2003, and microsoft was fully supporting win98 by then. Also in readme and some .ini files inside driver package there is mention about few win98 builds and even win95 so im guessing that driver was supporting win98 some time ago. I cant find any older drivers tho, and there is no response from chip manufacturer. Maybe there is some way to use different driver for other chip? Generic AC'97? I am really missing sound in Windows98.
Old 19th October, 2006, 06:30 PM
AOA's resident barman

Send a message via ICQ to Favu Send a message via AIM to Favu Send a message via MSN to Favu

AIUI drivers for NT, 2k and XP are different from the DOS based windows versions like 9x and ME.

I wouldn't expect those drivers to work with windows 98se if they are meant for XP.

Custom 8-bit Sharp Z80 @ 4.194304 MHz
Reflective LCD @ 160 × 144
8 kByte S-RAM

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 2nd November, 2006, 12:49 AM

This maybe worth a try - it doesn't look like the soundmax device has changed but the mobo's bios could get in the way:

http://www.softwarepatch.com/utiliti...max-audio.html
Old 2nd November, 2006, 12:54 AM
AOA's resident barman

Send a message via ICQ to Favu Send a message via AIM to Favu Send a message via MSN to Favu

Thanks for the info Jim!

Custom 8-bit Sharp Z80 @ 4.194304 MHz
Reflective LCD @ 160 × 144
8 kByte S-RAM