AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Intel Motherboards & CPUs

Intel Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on INTEL products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 18th October, 2006, 10:44 AM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

"Conroe" Refresh Details Unveiled

DailyTech is reporting on the upcoming speed grades for Intel's Conroe refresh in 2007. Two things of interest that catch the eye: Intel will up the speed to 3 Ghz at the high end, and will up the FSB from 1066 MHz to 1333 MHz.

Read more on the Front Page:
http://www.aoaforums.com/frontpage/content/view/1309/2/
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 18th October, 2006, 05:04 PM
AOA Staff
Asteroids Champion, Maeda Path Champion, Disco Racer Champion, Alpha Bravo Charlie Champion, Van Champion

Send a message via MSN to Pitch

These don't look too attractive with the 45nm Wolfdale part due for relased mid 2007 =/

XBL/PNS = neolad
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 19th October, 2006, 01:26 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

Will they run on current boards...ie...mine":O}?
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Old 19th October, 2006, 01:35 AM
Member/Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to keithwalton Send a message via MSN to keithwalton Send a message via Yahoo to keithwalton

They intendid to run conroe chips with a 333 (1333fsb) in the first place. The i975 and i965 chipsets were designed to do it and from our overclocks can do it with ease. However the nforce 5 chipsets cant clock past 320mhz fsb really which is one reason why the original lot were clocked back to 266 fsb.

45nm will be a while yet before it comes good, intel have been running 65nm for what the best part of a year now ? and only now are things really starting to mature and come through good.

The only odd thing in that line up is the 6650 chip, its got a higher number than the 6600 but clocks 66mhz slower (2.33 vs 2.4) i suppose thats the closest they could get.

I'd be interested to see the difference between the e6700 and the e6750, same clock speed cache et all just different fsb
Old 19th October, 2006, 04:41 AM
Member/Contributor/Resident Crystal Ball

Bye bye conroe overclocking.
Old 19th October, 2006, 06:37 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

"I don't know why you say goodbye, I say hello,... helloooo!" ":O}
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Old 19th October, 2006, 06:57 PM
Member/Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to keithwalton Send a message via MSN to keithwalton Send a message via Yahoo to keithwalton

He means that the conroe overclocks so well because the fsb is able to scale so nicely. From 266 -> 400 MHz will yield a nice 50% overclock.

However from 333 to 400 will only yield a 20% overclock.

This assumes of course the new chips hit similar fsb's of the old chips (just on a lower mult)
Old 19th October, 2006, 07:01 PM

Well, I unlocked my chip...max multi available was 20. rebooted, and it was max of 9 again, so lock is in bios.
Old 19th October, 2006, 07:42 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadaveca
Well, I unlocked my chip...max multi available was 20. rebooted, and it was max of 9 again, so lock is in bios.
Yeah, for now. How long do you think THAT will last?
Old 19th October, 2006, 07:45 PM

As long as intel uses the same architechture. I was shocked @ it when i saw it, selected a lower FSB, 11x multi, booted with 11x mutli! ran orthos, and it was stable! Reboot, and it was back to normal

I know exactly what i did just before this occured(i like to keep notes), I'll have ago @ it again.
Old 20th October, 2006, 12:40 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadaveca
As long as intel uses the same architechture. I was shocked @ it when i saw it, selected a lower FSB, 11x multi, booted with 11x mutli! ran orthos, and it was stable! Reboot, and it was back to normal

I know exactly what i did just before this occured(i like to keep notes), I'll have ago @ it again.
This could be an interesting development.... I for one, am very interested in hearing more.
Old 20th October, 2006, 03:09 PM

I don't know if some of you heard, but there were rumours flying that the bad-axe baord from intel featured a jumper that would allow full unlocking of all Conroe CPU's. This info came from an Intel rep @ the premier of teh board @ a lanparty. I even saw a video where he explained where this jumper was...
Old 20th October, 2006, 03:10 PM
Member/Contributor

Its an error in the multiplier unlock thing in the asus bios. They have made it to be unlocked up and down and first time you turn it on it will offer you 6x-20x. if you use anything over you're actual chip it will boot once at that speed, you return to the bios and the limits will change to 6x- whatever your cpu is. It's not really the bios locking it, its the bios trying to get around the lock but failing

Last edited by keithwalton; 20th October, 2006 at 03:11 PM.
Old 20th October, 2006, 06:12 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

I guess Intel kept that hat trick for themselves. When did they start allowing chip to be unlocked...just doesn't seem like Intel now does it?
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Old 20th October, 2006, 10:13 PM
Member/Contributor

The extreme edition chips have been unlocked both ways for sometime now, and asus keep making it possible for other chips to unlock downwards