AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Intel Motherboards & CPUs

Intel Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on INTEL products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 20th March, 2002, 12:37 AM

Send a message via AIM to CeleryMan Send a message via Yahoo to CeleryMan

Cooling for retail box P3?

I just got my P3 1Ghz 133fsb chip not too long ago. coppermine, im assuming from the 133fsb. anyways, i got it in the intel sealed box (intel hsf, case sticker, the works.) my question is, what would be the best hsf for this chip? or has intel got it covered in the cooling area? i get on average about 19C degrees idle temp, and about 27C or so running Folding 2.17. By the way, i have a little 6 1/2" desk fan blowing into the side of my case. without it, i run about 48C or so full load. about 20C idle. its stock right now. im going to oc it eventually just to see what i can squeeze out of it. ive heard the alphas or PALs are nice?
Tear on your undesirable cry, the times that we've tried, and ended up making things worse than they were before, ever could have been or thought to be. Im moving on without you. Im moving on without my light, and no, I won't cry tonight..... - OBA
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 20th March, 2002, 01:49 AM

Send a message via ICQ to dimmreaper Send a message via AIM to dimmreaper

The stock 1Ghz P3 coolers are pretty good. I don't think you will need anything else, as you will(and probably already have) hit the OCing wall before the temps get out of hand. The single phase VccCore power supply used on Slot1/s370 is not well suited for CPUs operating beyond 1GHz. It'll run the .13u parts beyond that, but will never succeed in pushing those beyond 1.5GHz, EVER! Single phase power just isn't clean enough.

P4 and modern SocketA boards come standard with 3 phase power, this makes them much better for high operating frequency CPUs. Some of the motherboard manufactures defy Intel and AMD recomendations by using twin phase power on there cheap boards, such boards should be avoided by the overclocker or anyone with future CPU compatability in mind.

AMD's K8 reference board makes use of quad phase power, so it is quite likely that AMD will specify that for the K8.

Wishing you were someone else is a waste of the person you are. - Kurt Cobain

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 22nd March, 2002, 08:29 PM
Banned

Like Jeff said, I saw some (but not a lot) of improvement from the stock cooler with my identical P3 1ghz chip to an Alpha Pal6035. You will hit a barrier in the mid 1150mhz range, mostly due to the high bus speeds and limits of the vcore settings (won't go past 1.825).
Old 22nd March, 2002, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pinky
limits of the vcore settings (won't go past 1.825).
When I run out of Vcore settings, I make my own

AOA Team fah
Old 22nd March, 2002, 10:39 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by dimmreaper
When I run out of Vcore settings, I make my own
Sure, but then you need more cooling, right ?
Old 22nd March, 2002, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Sure, but then you need more cooling, right ?
Not always. But if I do, I find vast ammounts of dryice and alcohol make watercooling quite a bit better

AOA Team fah
Old 22nd March, 2002, 11:41 PM

Send a message via AIM to CeleryMan Send a message via Yahoo to CeleryMan

hey, thanks guys. i was just looking at the PAL6035, and i must say im extremely impressed. my stock cooler wont even allow me to oc my chip to 1125 without windows *****in at me to say the least. "error accessing the system registry. windows will now reboot and fix the problem." i dont think looping a registry restore over and over qualifys as a successfull oc. the stock cooler does work great for stock clock speeds. thats what it was tested for in the first place. i think i will look into a PAL as soon as i get the $. thats cool, so ill have a good cooler to put on my Celery 600 when i get my board and slotket from ebay. thanks again for the help, guys. great advice!!!!
Tear on your undesirable cry, the times that we've tried, and ended up making things worse than they were before, ever could have been or thought to be. Im moving on without you. Im moving on without my light, and no, I won't cry tonight..... - OBA
Old 23rd March, 2002, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by CeleryMan
my stock cooler wont even allow me to oc my chip to 1125 without windows *****in at me to say the least.
That may be an FSB limitation as Pinky mentioned. What memory and motherboard are you using? Unless your using PC150 memory, I wouldn't expect the memory to do that without a boost in VIO(input/output voltage). Does you board support VIO adjustments, or asynchronous memory clocks? If it does, play with those features a bit. If it doesn't, then perhaps try running the harrdrive in PIO4 mode to see if it is hicupping because of the bus speed.

AOA Team fah
Old 23rd March, 2002, 12:21 AM
Banned

I happen to know corsair memory (cas2 stuff) runs well to 149/150mhz cas2, but gets flakey unless you drop it to cas3 after that.
Old 23rd March, 2002, 12:27 AM

Quote:
I happen to know corsair memory (cas2 stuff) runs well to 149/150mhz cas2, but gets flakey unless you drop it to cas3 after that.
Corsair memory uses choice Micron chips, Crucial is a division of Micron and also uses choice chips, so it is probably quite likely the same is true of Crucial memory. And now that I think of it, I have a stick of Crucial running at 150 with all the settings maxed in my ABIT VH6-II P3 700E @ 1050 system

AOA Team fah