AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Intel Motherboards & CPUs

Intel Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on INTEL products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 17th January, 2007, 07:59 PM

Need advise on budget overclocker

Im thinking on selling my 3700 Sandeago and Asrock MB to sombody for 150.00 so I can get started building another budget overclocker.

The choices are with processor's
AMD_ 2X5200 at 2.6 an 2X1meg cash a good overclocker but if there's
a better overclocker in the 300 down range let me know.
or
An Intel core 2 duo E-6600 with a 2X2_meg l2 cash at about 320.00
buck's. I have to tell you Ive become a AMD wizzard over the last
copple year's, but Im leaning tward the Intel cpu this time the problem
is If I do the Intell I need advise on the Mother Board.I just dont want
to have to spend a fortune on the MB but I want it to use DDR-2 6400
ram. And I want a good Bios that will let me Overclock up to over 3Gig .
Ill proubly be useing a single video card so SLI isint a priority but I
dont mind if it;'s on the board. Ill probubly need a ram recomindation
with the MB the rest I can handel. thanks for your time. BA
Old 17th January, 2007, 08:15 PM

Send a message via AIM to Necorum Send a message via MSN to Necorum Send a message via Yahoo to Necorum

On malabs.com i saw the 6600 for around 230 and i would personally go for the core 2 duo.

On the ram Corsair XMS series has never let me down......

on the motherboard I would get an sli ready board just in case.

I prefer asus or abit but thats up to you epox and dfi is also a choice dont GO ECS or PC CHIPS or anyhting along those lines.

3dMark 11: P7023
3dMark Vantage: P31097

Last edited by Necorum; 17th January, 2007 at 08:17 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 17th January, 2007, 08:36 PM

Im looking at ASUS mb's but there are severall choices witch one can I get away with that will OC well but not cost me a foutune. What are you running that is the only thiong you didnt place in the sig?
Old 17th January, 2007, 08:47 PM

Send a message via AIM to Necorum Send a message via MSN to Necorum Send a message via Yahoo to Necorum

Quote:
Originally Posted by badarthur
Im looking at ASUS mb's but there are severall choices witch one can I get away with that will OC well but not cost me a foutune. What are you running that is the only thiong you didnt place in the sig?
cadveca would know this better than me but let me look around

edit* http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813131046

only board i could find for under 100 that seems alright for a budget machine

EDIT EDIT* ASUS P5N32 was running an ecs due to it being free and here but thats the board i currently have for now til i buy another one next week. I <3 being in computer retail.

Last edited by Necorum; 17th January, 2007 at 08:53 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 17th January, 2007, 08:56 PM

im thinking of going to this board here and going quad core

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813127019

Old 18th January, 2007, 08:31 AM

That ABIT Board look's nice, but i have done exactly what you have done severall times. I by the budget board and then find out that it dosent overclock do to lac of feature's. And then bought the higher priced board.
I would kind of like to buy a board that will do most everything I want the first time around. I dont need sli because im sitting on 2 6800gs card's im only useing 1 now, as i only use 1024X768 res the second card is useless to me. But I dont know enough about the Intell line of product's to buy the right one the first time. I mean i should be able to find a P965 if that is infact the right NORTHBRIDGE chipset to buy im just thinking that i can buy one for onefifty or so. I just want one tht has all the overclocking option's and 1 pciex16 slot-2 if I have to. Kind of like getting by on the standard Asus board instead of the Deluxe bord as i never seam to use all the extra option.

Every time I buy a gigabyte board it has that onboard OC program on it and not useing the right pci lock's in the bio's but that's with the AMD line. This is allways a learning process as life like painting a house is allways a 2 coat deal. Im just hoping that I can mabey catch someone that has allready made this mistake. I know that im not the only dye hard AMD fan that is considering switching intell hell I wanted to do it when the 805's cme out. But found a ASrock board that just about did everything I wanted with my old 3700 for 65 buck's. That board stilll amazes me as so cheap a board.

Thay allways just amaze me because of all the usefull option's that nobudy else dose like DDR and DDR-2 memory slot's or pciex-16 slot with onboard 6100/6150 video on the same board. Usefull option's that let you get buy on the onboard video or that older ram untill you can buy a good video card. Instead of the deluxe Asus with 2 onboard sound and 3 diferent internet option's. Im just tired of paying for crap Im not going to use. But dont want to go to cheap and not be able to OC properly. There has to be a middle ground someware. And thanks for the time-sorry for the mini story almost book -Badarthur. Thank's
Old 18th January, 2007, 07:17 PM

lol hard to find a good board without useless crap

i want a sound card less ,ethernet less ,etc etc on the mobo. i want to have to add everything.

Old 23rd January, 2007, 06:45 AM

I know you said you didn't need SLI, but this board is an awesome OC'er.

ASUS P5N-E SLI newegg item number N82E16813131142

It runs around $130 - $140, but its worth it

I pushed my E6300 1.8GHz to 2.5GHz with out changing anything but the FSB. Waiting on a new HSF for the northbridge, should easily be able to push the E6300 up over 3GHz.