AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Intel Motherboards & CPUs

Intel Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on INTEL products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 31st March, 2002, 10:00 AM

Send a message via ICQ to dimmreaper Send a message via AIM to dimmreaper

Those numbers fall right in line with what I would have guessed.

The Pentium4's pipeline is 66% deeper than the Athlons. That means the Pentium4 has to run 66% faster than the Athlon to run programs that consist almost entirely of dependant instructions(like FAH) at the same level of performance. So in english; a soon to be released Pentium4 2.4GHz and an Athlon 1700+ are equal FAH wise.

SETI@home has a lot less dependant instructions, it consists largely of load/store instructions, so perhaps you should set that little sucker up to search for little green men. Wait, WTF am I saving? A few extra FAH WUs is better than nothing, right?

No wait! Don't hit me! I'll be good, I promise

Glad you seem to like the new rig Luta!

Wishing you were someone else is a waste of the person you are. - Kurt Cobain

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 31st March, 2002, 10:38 AM

Well, at least I don't hate it
As I used to be an Intel kinda guy I must admit being more than a bit disappointed.........but, as stated before.....toyz is toyz
Got 1 or 2 people where I work that are interested in my building boxes for them, so that's more than likely where this will go. Maybe take the proceeds from that and get a Tbred or maybe a Hammer set-up when available
Old 31st March, 2002, 04:19 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

I'll probably never to be able to buy a Sledgehammer. Their name is so fitting! Swinging upon piles of Xzeons, crunch, smash.
Old 2nd April, 2002, 05:10 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by cloasters
I'll probably never to be able to buy a Sledgehammer. Their name is so fitting! Swinging upon piles of Xzeons, crunch, smash.
Clawhammer which will be out first is intended to fill AMDs mainstream CPU market, this is AMDs largest market so it makes sense to push the new technology in to it first.

However AMD intends to use hammer technology "top to bottom". So this means that 6 months after Clawhammer we will see some other nice products. One product is Sledgehammer which is intended solely for SMP servers. Other products will include mobile hammer CPUs, and a small cache value version of the desktop hammer(the K8 equivilent to the Duron).

Sooner or later you will be able to afford the value hammer, I guarentee it. Even the normal Clawhammer is roughly the size of the modern Morgan core, so the value hammer is going to be very cheap to manufacture.

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 2nd April, 2002, 10:41 AM
AOA Staff

as funky as they may be,, its alot easier to sell a 1.8 northwood server on an intel chipset board made by intel with an intel NIC to a suit, than it is a palamino on an MSI board with a VIA chipset. corparate techs love machines that have no 2nd party hardware much less 3rd party.. I built p-4 servers all last week, and a couple more this week, and they are not all that bad.
and as most of you all know, I am a total street hooker and have no braned loyalty whatsoever... I tried to talk the AMD servers up, but the money guys dont want anything to do with "those cheap rippoff chips"
Old 2nd April, 2002, 11:04 AM

Well how about AMD CPUs on an AMD branded Fujitsu manufactured board built around an AMD chipset that follows a reference design cooked up by AMD with help from a major taiwanese motherboard maker? That is pretty much what you are going to find for Sledgehammer setups.

AOA Team fah

Last edited by dimmreaper; 2nd April, 2002 at 11:06 AM.
Old 3rd April, 2002, 02:36 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Yeah, Intel("it's swell!") is an easy sale. You gotta do what the money wants in the real world.
What Jeff posted about an AMD Server board, featuring AMD's chipset should give the pinstriped something to consider. I must admit that the P-4 Xeons are outside my ken. Nonetheless, the PII and PIII Xeons were hokum of the first order. Yes, yes, the gigantic L2 caches of the most expensive PII and PIII Xeons were valid pluses in the Server world. But too many suits didn't understand that those vintage Xeons in more than a dual SMP configuration were a gigantic waste of money.

I read that AMD has a long way to go before it can be considered a serious contender in the X86 Server market. While I dislike to admit it, that's true. The handful of dual SMB Athlon Server boards do not inspire my confidence. Sure, the cheaper Tyan model looks fun for the hobbyist, but could you recommend any available Server mainboard without reservation? Perhaps you could. Maybe the Asus SMB Athlon MP board is all that, along with the requisite bag of chips. I don't have the bucks to find out!

I gotta tell ya, more PC owner's than not have never even heard of AMD. Talk about injustice!

I hope Jeff's prognosis holds true. I wanna swing that Sledgehammer, and hard!
Old 3rd April, 2002, 03:18 AM

Personaly I don't care who wins, assuming that one of the two companies can ever win.

I just want to see AMD force Intel to innovate and lower average selling price.

If the Prescott core Pentium 4 will indeed natively support X86-64(it wouldn't take a lot of work), then it might turn out to be a very attractive part. Who knows? I don't! Nobody will until we see the silicon.

AOA Team fah
Old 3rd April, 2002, 05:11 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

Just so they keep fighting we win! ":O}
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Old 3rd April, 2002, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Daniel ~
Just so they keep fighting we win! ":O}
Exactly!

I've been doing a little bit of research on VIA's next CPU, the Cyrix 4. Die-size of the Cyrix 4 is very similar to Intel's P3 Tualatin, the Cyrix 3 is 2/3 of that size with performance that reflects this. I expect the Cyrix 4 to be a deep pipelined CPU like the Pentium 4, probably even deeper though. I think we can expect a third major player in the value market segment. VIA won't be able to grab a great deal of the market, but I think in time they might snatch up 5% of it.

AOA Team fah
Old 3rd April, 2002, 06:02 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by dimmreaper
Exactly!

I've been doing a little bit of research on VIA's next CPU, the Cyrix 4. Die-size of the Cyrix 4 is very similar to Intel's P3 Tualatin, the Cyrix 3 is 2/3 of that size with performance that reflects this. I expect the Cyrix 4 to be a deep pipelined CPU like the Pentium 4, probably even deeper though. I think we can expect a third major player in the value market segment. VIA won't be able to grab a great deal of the market, but I think in time they might snatch up 5% of it.
Besides it is exciting have toys from both to play with":O}
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Old 3rd April, 2002, 08:20 AM
AOA Staff

I just get so Tired of having to "sell" a product that I know is better, for less .... when they are all too eager to buy anything intel for pretty much any price you give them
Old 3rd April, 2002, 09:04 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

The customer is always right. Not your fault if they won't listen.
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur