AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Intel Motherboards & CPUs

Intel Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on INTEL products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 12th February, 2007, 10:22 AM
AOA Staff

Intel to show off 80 core processor today

Read it on the front page:
http://www.aoaforums.com/frontpage/content/view/1955/1/

Comments?
Old 12th February, 2007, 04:02 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

But will it be able to run vista or will I need an upgrade? ":O}

Somewhere around this point someone ought to ask, and I'm not saying 200 CPU's wouldn't be fun, do we need this?

What might we use this kind of processing power for?

Hey! I'm asking! ":O}
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12th February, 2007, 04:23 PM
AOA Staff

I guess to make a single-core run faster and faster, is more of a challenge than simply having more cores for more processing power.

80 cores seems over the top, but I would guess it is a far better soloution than the current supercomputers with 100s of seperate processors. Must surely save on power, space and other resources?
Old 12th February, 2007, 04:28 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Sorry, I wasn't clear, I meant what would we desk top users use them for? What perceived need would they meet?
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12th February, 2007, 04:49 PM

Send a message via MSN to skool h8r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel ~
Sorry, I wasn't clear, I meant what would we desk top users use them for? What perceived need would they meet?

For Folding of course!

And of course power consumtion is gonna be lower, just look at the difference between a single core athlon, and an X2. It's quite efficient to say it's "double the power".

YouTube - Benchmark Results (Coming Soon!)
Old 12th February, 2007, 04:52 PM
AOA Staff

Quote:
I think it will be some years before we see 80-core desktop processors, so who knows?
Old 12th February, 2007, 05:09 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Sorry Patti didn't buy that one Dan. Anyone got something better I can tell her? ":O}
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Old 12th February, 2007, 05:33 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

The 80-core processor that they are showing is just a proof-of-concept kind of thing. The actual cores are pretty primitive.

However, Danrok has the basic idea right. It's far easier at this stage to build 100 or 1,000 cores all running at 1 GHz than it is to build 1 core running at 100 GHz.

The biggest problem is that the sofware industry isn't ready for this. Multi-threaded programming is, for many, a black art, and the software development tools available today don't make it any easier. The dual and quad-core cpus that we have today are helping to kick-start this development cycle, but I think Intel are being optimistic if they believe that 5 years from now the industry will be ready for massively parallel CPUs.
Old 12th February, 2007, 05:35 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

But Vista only took five year...nevermind...":O}
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Last edited by Daniel ~; 12th February, 2007 at 05:36 PM.
Old 12th February, 2007, 05:39 PM
Member/Contributer

Quote:
But will it be able to run vista or will I need an upgrade? ":O}

Somewhere around this point someone ought to ask, and I'm not saying 200 CPU's wouldn't be fun, do we need this?

Hey! I'm asking! ":O}
Absolutely sod all unless you count racking up big power bills

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Old 12th February, 2007, 07:25 PM

Quote:

for the same thing as we 'need' all the power we have now, if youd had told me less then 10 years ago that i would need anything more then the 500meg hard drive i had i would have though you were nuts

they'll come up with things we 'need' that require more power.

like operating systems that use more then they need to lol

win 2k pro forever
Old 12th February, 2007, 09:03 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Yeah, but other than games, that are designed to need hardware....I really haven't used the power I have in years... and remember, we are not talking about X10 the power we have now, but more on the order or X100, X1000, X10,000 the power we have now.

I mean that's more processors than I had MHz when I started! ":O}

Most of the Mhz up till now were needed for entertainment, I guess we will still want to be entertained and/or to entertain...
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Last edited by Daniel ~; 12th February, 2007 at 09:04 PM.
Old 12th February, 2007, 10:02 PM
Member/Contributer

Almost all of the pc power we've had thrust into the home market over the last 15 years has eben entertainment driven.

The things that may actually benefit us are still beyond current power levels, like speech recognition (yes I know we have it but I mean on a level thats as natural as speaking to a person)

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Old 12th February, 2007, 11:20 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamGarside
Almost all of the pc power we've had thrust into the home market over the last 15 years has eben entertainment driven.

The things that may actually benefit us are still beyond current power levels, like speech recognition (yes I know we have it but I mean on a level thats as natural as speaking to a person)
Good Speech Recognition is going to require more than just increased CPU horsepower. According to Dr. Mark Clements at Georgia Tech, it is going to require us to make some changes in the fundamental way we go about speech recognition.
Old 12th February, 2007, 11:30 PM
AOA Staff

Most of us put even the fastest processors to hard work everyday. At least, collectively we do.

We all use Google's processors or AOA's server's processors, etc.

But, I don't think we're as short of processing power as we are short of bandwidth on the net's backbones. That's where we really need to see some advances, before things start to get real slow.
Old 12th February, 2007, 11:53 PM

Send a message via MSN to captinhector

Quote:
Originally Posted by danrok
Most of us put even the fastest processors to hard work everyday. At least, collectively we do.

But, I don't think we're as short of processing power as we are short of bandwidth on the net's backbones. That's where we really need to see some advances, before things start to get real slow.
^^^ what he said^^^

BUT, about 200,000 home pc's running one of thoes, and 80 copies of F@H, and you got some serious points......

Diablotek Demon IV
700w Tagan Dual Engine
AMD Athlon 64 3800+ x2 @ 2.7ghz under water
Asus A8N32-SLI Delux
EVGA 9800GT STOCK
2gig of A-Data Viesta DDR 1 @ 516 mhz
Http://www.thepeoplesbookstore.com
Old 13th February, 2007, 05:26 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by danrok

Today's compression algorithms are dominated by the need to be able to decompress with very little processing power. In general, the idea is that we will sacrifice processing on the front end for compression as long as it is easy to extract. With more processing horsepower available at the client, we can use compression algorithms that are more efficient than those available today, but which also require more processing power to decompress in a reasonable amount of time. Thus, more powerful cpus could actually help us make better use of the available bandwidth.
Old 14th February, 2007, 12:34 AM

id like to think that if you can suddanly (bit unlikly this) buy a computer 100 times more powerfull then now then the pcs of today, which are good enough for 90% of people, should cost around £20 each lol, yet somhow, i dout it
Old 14th February, 2007, 12:52 AM
AOA's resident barman

Send a message via ICQ to Favu Send a message via AIM to Favu Send a message via MSN to Favu

Meh, the PCs of yesterday are good enough for 90% of people, but they don't get made anymore.

Custom 8-bit Sharp Z80 @ 4.194304 MHz
Reflective LCD @ 160 × 144
8 kByte S-RAM