AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Intel Motherboards & CPUs

Intel Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on INTEL products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 23rd March, 2007, 12:16 AM

!!Buying a new computer!!

Hey guys,
Im currently looking to buy a new computer. After spending some times on the internet, here what i found:

----------------------------------------------------------
Mobo:
ASUS C2D Striker Extreme SLI S775 NF680i Motherboard

Processor:
Intel Core 2 E6600 2.40GHz 4M Cache Conroe

Memory:
Corsair XMS2 2GB Kit PC2-6400 (TWIN2X2048-6400C4)
( Should i buy the pro version of this memory? )

Video card:
BFG 8800GTX 768MB PCI-E Video Card

Power Supply:
Enermax 600w FMA NOISETAKER (20/24+6+8 PCI-E SLI COMP) PSU

I'm already having a 200g maxtor SATA hardrive. I would like to know if those or a good choice to run windows Vista Home edition. Im usually playing alots of different games ( ex: Oblivion, Battlefield 2142, Supreme Commander ) and I would like to be able to play all of those without any problems at high details. ( 1280x1024 )

Maybe after a month of two I will buy a second video card for SLI performance…. But for now, im just gonna stick with only one 8800GTX.
I would like to hear from u guys!

Thanks!
Old 23rd March, 2007, 12:42 AM
AOA Staff
Asteroids Champion, Maeda Path Champion, Disco Racer Champion, Alpha Bravo Charlie Champion, Van Champion

Send a message via MSN to Pitch

8800 Seems a bit of a waste if you're limited to low res like 1280*1024 in my opinion.

XBL/PNS = neolad
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 23rd March, 2007, 02:53 AM

Nice set, get a more powerful psu, just in case.

ASUS G73 SW, IE7, 20 GB DD3 ram

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 23rd March, 2007, 03:58 AM
Member/Contributor/Resident Crystal Ball

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaxXxoR
Hey guys,
Im currently looking to buy a new computer. After spending some times on the internet, here what i found:

Mobo:
ASUS C2D Striker Extreme SLI S775 NF680i Motherboard
nice choice
Quote:
Processor:
Intel Core 2 E6600 2.40GHz 4M Cache Conroe
very good as well. Week 32 seems excellent
Quote:
Memory:
Corsair XMS2 2GB Kit PC2-6400 (TWIN2X2048-6400C4)
( Should i buy the pro version of this memory? )
Nah, leave that to suckers like me that need teh lights. Would suit the mobo tho...only get if paying 10-15 bucks more, or it's really not worth it.
Quote:
Video card:
BFG 8800GTX 768MB PCI-E Video Card
Now, I don't particularily like nV, but that's a great card to buy this week. Next few weeks that may change, but it's always that way.

Quote:
Power Supply:
Enermax 600w FMA NOISETAKER (20/24+6+8 PCI-E SLI COMP) PSU
Pleasr don't buy this psu. given the board and vga you have chosen, this is not a wise choice. Look for something with 4 12-volt rails. You'll thank me later.
Quote:
I'm already having a 200g maxtor SATA hardrive. I would like to know if those or a good choice to run windows Vista Home edition. Im usually playing alots of different games ( ex: Oblivion, Battlefield 2142, Supreme Commander ) and I would like to be able to play all of those without any problems at high details. ( 1280x1024 )

Maybe after a month of two I will buy a second video card for SLI performance…. But for now, im just gonna stick with only one 8800GTX.
I would like to hear from u guys!

Thanks!
Right now I wouldn't really recommend Vista if it wasn't so darn cheap, and you need a new OS. I'd recommend at least home premium, and ultimate if you like some extra security features for your data. That all said, however, please be prepared to face some issues with this virgin OS. It WILL get better, but sometimes with so many people against ya it takes time.

XP works great too, BTW. A bit cheaper...but that's all relative.

Another comment on that there psu...not enough for G80SLi...really. Please go and get a recently-released 850w or greater psu. You really do need to do this, if it's the only thing you get off of these forums. You're gonna spend a decent amt of cash on that there stuff, and it would really suck ot see it die from an in-adequate power source.

Old 24th March, 2007, 05:50 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

What once seemed awfully big power supplies are now simply necessary. We see SO many destroyed components from folks who chimped/chumped out on their PSU's. Think BIG.
Old 24th March, 2007, 07:45 PM

New

Errr... I think (hope) you get the message. But just in case you don't...

Don't get cheap on the PSU !!! .

Have Fun.

ASUS G73 SW, IE7, 20 GB DD3 ram

AOA Team fah