AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Intel Motherboards & CPUs

Intel Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on INTEL products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 6th May, 2007, 05:41 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Asus P5N-E SLI Motherboard Review

Thomas Soderstrom
SysOpt.com

The Asus brand brings with it a better reputation for quality, and often a price increase to match. Yet, Asus has also proven that it's serious about its push into lower-cost markets: So will its 650i motherboard, the P5N-E SLI, rival ECS' NF650iSLIT-A and prove itself a value leader as well?

Read more on the Front Paqe:
http://www.aoaforums.com/frontpage/content/view/2463/2/
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 30th May, 2007, 04:19 AM
Metal Wizard

Hey Giz

This P5N-E sli board has been a fun board to play with! It is not as overpowering as the 975X but hey it only cost $134 when I bought mine. I found with my E6600 it is best to drop down from the 9x multi to the 8x. I achieve better performance. with the muti at 9X it is hard pressed to pull 412 fsb coming in at 3700. yet on the 8x multi it easily runs up to 467fsb for a speed of 3740. Which is also the same speed as the 6400 Allendale by the way. the nice thing at 467fsb is running your memory at 1:1 at DDR934 with good timings the little machine is really cooking!!!
I run this board daily at 425 1:1 which is a comfortable speed of 3400mhz all on air! No over heating here. Just a nice little system that runs out very smooth. clock for clock it is slower than my P5W DH but it is easily in the ball park on 3D scores. The board is easy to work with and is very stable with much less voltage than the P5W requires. So there are trade offs. I like the board myself and would recommend it as a nice budget board.

These scores you are about to see were done with my 7900GT with the Volt mod re-applied. and all were with my allendale processor

WZ
Attached Thumbnails
Asus P5N-E SLI Motherboard Review-cooking.jpg   Asus P5N-E SLI Motherboard Review-01se.jpg   Asus P5N-E SLI Motherboard Review-3do3.jpg   Asus P5N-E SLI Motherboard Review-aqmk3.jpg  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 31st May, 2007, 12:19 AM
Metal Wizard

More.......

Well I decided to throw my new 8800gts into the mix and run my conroe 6600 on the board just cuz I can!! Now it is very hot here right now so I am only running the Conroe at 3600 mhz which is actually a quite common speed for this chip. I reduced the multi t0 8x so I could push my memory a little harder. I ran my 8800GTS 320 at a low clock of 600/900
When it is cool out I run it at 660 /1016 and higher for aqmk3. Well here are some scores for you to peruse again @ 3600 with mem on the 1:1 @ 450 x 2 = 900 on the mem The 3D03 was run the other morning very early and very cold with the vid card at 662/1020. It was a great run.
As you can see this budget board has the right stuff and will give your vid card a nice push into some great gaming. I will post up 05 and 06 at these lower clocks also.

WZ

PS. To give you an idea of just how much power the P5W DH packs When I ran AQMK3 at 3825mhz with this vid card at stock speeds 513/792
my AquaMark3 score was 192,000+!
Attached Thumbnails
Asus P5N-E SLI Motherboard Review-01se8800.jpg   Asus P5N-E SLI Motherboard Review-aqmk3-8800-600-900.jpg   Asus P5N-E SLI Motherboard Review-03-8800.jpg  

Last edited by weldzilla; 31st May, 2007 at 12:23 AM.
Old 31st May, 2007, 07:04 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Nice benches, WZ!
Old 1st June, 2007, 12:21 AM
Metal Wizard

You know this board just can't match the power or the price of the P5W DH but, it is a budget board and it is really fun to play with. I am playing with it so much cuz quite frankly I have sold both of my P5W DH boards and yes I have another coming from the Egg early next week. I am not worried that my 2 boards were "Golden" The people that bought them were sure of it!! I am here to tell you I'll get the same results with the next one. So during the interim I have been playing with this P5N-E SLI.
It has not disappointed me one bit!!

WZ
Old 1st June, 2007, 12:43 AM
Metal Wizard

more tests

You will see when I post these scores that in the 3D mark benches this system hangs right in there with anyone running this card.
Compare them to my P5W and they are really close!!
I'm telling you I like this little board more and more!!

WZ
Attached Thumbnails
Asus P5N-E SLI Motherboard Review-3d06.jpg   Asus P5N-E SLI Motherboard Review-o5.jpg  

Last edited by weldzilla; 9th June, 2007 at 05:49 PM.
Old 9th June, 2007, 05:56 PM
Metal Wizard

Better Cooling

I added more air to my system. Much more air!! I stuffed a another 90mm fan and another 120mm fan in the side window to give my cpu cooler more air to work with. It really helped!!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2.../IMG_3458a.jpg
I will get a blue 120 headed this way eventually.
This morning I got up and was fooling with this computer (WZ-4b)
while WZ-3d was earning it's keep.
this is how that all went

WZ
Attached Thumbnails
Asus P5N-E SLI Motherboard Review-yups.jpg  
Old 9th June, 2007, 11:34 PM

I had a P5N-E SLI for a short time. It was one of the few boards I have owned in awhile that I actually felt was worth a little more than I paid for it. Fun to use, booted with just about anything I had laying around and didn't have the usual quirks of a budget board. It was sure a lot better than the DS3 rev. 3.3 I paid $100 for and felt it should have been priced at $75.

I guess I'll have to write up some reviews of the boards I have here now. I will be starting a new build tomorrow using a DFI ICFX3200 T2R so I'll take pics and do a decent review of the board on air and water. If I end up keeping it I'll throw some phase results in as well.
Old 11th June, 2007, 07:23 AM

Hi guys...haven't had time to get here in eons, it seems!

Having some fun with this board...Been stable here for days now.
Settled on this:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...lOCFORREAL.jpg

Got started with this (Note, MBM not reporting correctly here):
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...LI/FInalOC.jpg
ASROCK: 1 * BIOSTAR: 1 * ASUS: 5 * CHAINTECH: 7 * GIGABYTE: 2 *IWILL: 1 * MSI: 3* TYAN: 2
175+ GHZ total power for PC Perspective Killer Frogs Climate Prediction Team as The Uncle B's!!
and more coming all the time!

I'm the Uncle your Aunt won't talk about. Go ahead and pull my finger!

Last edited by Uncle Bob; 11th June, 2007 at 07:26 AM.
Old 11th June, 2007, 12:54 PM

Send a message via MSN to Samuknow

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccperf721p
I had a P5N-E SLI for a short time. It was one of the few boards I have owned in awhile that I actually felt was worth a little more than I paid for it. Fun to use, booted with just about anything I had laying around and didn't have the usual quirks of a budget board. It was sure a lot better than the DS3 rev. 3.3 I paid $100 for and felt it should have been priced at $75.

I guess I'll have to write up some reviews of the boards I have here now. I will be starting a new build tomorrow using a DFI ICFX3200 T2R so I'll take pics and do a decent review of the board on air and water. If I end up keeping it I'll throw some phase results in as well.

Spin up a review. We would be glad to post it on the front page...
Old 20th June, 2007, 11:47 PM
Metal Wizard

Hey Uncle Bob glad to see you are getting nice results from this board too!

WZ
Old 21st June, 2007, 06:55 AM

I've done better with the Gigabyte, but for the bucks, this board is quite good!

This is on air, too!
ASROCK: 1 * BIOSTAR: 1 * ASUS: 5 * CHAINTECH: 7 * GIGABYTE: 2 *IWILL: 1 * MSI: 3* TYAN: 2
175+ GHZ total power for PC Perspective Killer Frogs Climate Prediction Team as The Uncle B's!!
and more coming all the time!

I'm the Uncle your Aunt won't talk about. Go ahead and pull my finger!
Old 24th June, 2007, 05:45 PM
Metal Wizard

Fanage

My matching 120mm fan finally arrived for side window. No more Green fan. I mounted it up last night. Mat and I were looking around at fans.
He wants a stronge side fan cuz he gets pretty warm while folding.
He ended up over at frozen cpu and bought himself a 250mm fan. To mount up. He is pretty excited to get it and mount it. I will post a pic when done.
The link to his fan.
http://www.frozencpu.com/products/54..._Case_Fan.html

WZ
Attached Thumbnails
Asus P5N-E SLI Motherboard Review-img_3646a.jpg  
Old 24th June, 2007, 09:37 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Great to see you posting again Uncle Bob! I came across the chip we penciled yeastuday looking for useful things...hard to say about that chip now...
":O}
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Old 23rd July, 2007, 07:45 PM
Member/Contributer

so, I posted this the other day, does anyone see a good connection between that $20 fan and the OP of this thread:
O.o Massive cooling

I might have met my match if so o.O