AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Intel Motherboards & CPUs

Intel Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on INTEL products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 20th May, 2007, 01:43 PM

help overclocking E4300

Hi, I have a problem with the E4300 in my sig. tried to oc it a bit

3Ghz@1.280V (334x9)
3.4GHz@1.5V (378x9)

but there is something @3.4GHz I don't understand:
I run dual Prime for 15h+, divx encoding 20h nonstop + 2xfah and no errors
I watch a divx avi and the system reboots after 5-10min, but why?
Old 21st May, 2007, 01:41 PM

Send a message via MSN to Samuknow

Usually a reboot is caused by needing more volts or a low PSU. I think you Enermax should be enough. Maybe try a pinch more volts to the CPU. I am not sure what the safe max is though.

I guess another thing is to reinstall the divx codec. might be corrupt.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 22nd May, 2007, 09:46 PM

thx Sam, but more volts didn't help, reinstalled the codec but still the same
@3GHz everything works fine
I put in a Xeon 3060 (3,6GHz, 450MHzx8, Mem 1:1) this chip is faster, but has the same problems at 3,7GHz (412MHzx9) as the E4300
maybe I reached the max stable clock, but why a reboot and not a prime error and the cpu runs hotter during prime

and how does the P5W-DH handles the strap?
Old 29th May, 2007, 04:14 PM

where are our core2 experts?
Old 29th May, 2007, 04:37 PM

Send a message via MSN to Samuknow

Weldzilla should be your guy....
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 29th May, 2007, 04:48 PM
Member/Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to keithwalton Send a message via MSN to keithwalton Send a message via Yahoo to keithwalton

How hot is it running and what are you cooling it with.

Voltage required varies quite alot between chips i run my e6700 at 1.6v and it runs cooler than daniel's e6600 he runs a much lower vcore (around 1.475v mark i think) yet still hits similar clocks speed to mine.

Is it only divx thats doing it ? ie can you run 3dmark etc as that would show up a lack of power as 3dmark loads cpu and gpu at the same time.

What os are you running ?

I'd try turning down the ram for now and push the chip to find its max stable point at max multiplier (i have found lowering mult on the p5w-dh is futile as mine hits the wall at 405MHz and since i can do 373x10 stable, 405x9 is slower!) prime on mine is usually the first to have a hissy fit before the system becomes unstable

Above 400 MHz fsb is starting to push the old i975x chipset to its limits anything above this varies between boards.

Hitting 3GHz at 1.28v is pretty sweet! the stock vcore of my chip is 1.35v!
Is the E4300 an 800 or 1066fsb chip i cant remember.

6 Hard drives in a single case may get abit toasty!

Last edited by keithwalton; 29th May, 2007 at 04:49 PM.
Old 29th May, 2007, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithwalton
How hot is it running and what are you cooling it with.

Voltage required varies quite alot between chips i run my e6700 at 1.6v and it runs cooler than daniel's e6600 he runs a much lower vcore (around 1.475v mark i think) yet still hits similar clocks speed to mine.
Xeon: 1.46V@450MHzx8, 66°C folding, over 70°C during prime
E4300: 1.5V@378MHzx9, ~60°C prime!
I watercool my whole system

Quote:
Is it only divx thats doing it ? ie can you run 3dmark etc as that would show up a lack of power as 3dmark loads cpu and gpu at the same time.
here is something I noticed:
when I encode a vob-file to divx by using dr. divx, cpu utilisation goes up to 50-60% and the system works fine (fah gets the rest 50-40%)
but when I encode the same file with tmpgenc to a divx file, cpu utilisation goes up to 70-80% and the system reboots after 5min.
cpu utilisations of both programs are correct, even if they use the same codec, but the more multithreaded application causes reboots. don't forget: that's at 3.4GHz

Quote:
What os are you running ?
Win XP Pro 32Bit

Quote:
I'd try turning down the ram for now and push the chip to find its max stable point at max multiplier (i have found lowering mult on the p5w-dh is futile as mine hits the wall at 405MHz and since i can do 373x10 stable, 405x9 is slower!) prime on mine is usually the first to have a hissy fit before the system becomes unstable
both chips has a default multi of 9. I've read somewhere that once you hit a wall the p5wdh needs more vcore (1.4V+) for higher fsb speeds. I can confirm this. I played alot with vcore, vmch and fsb termination voltage. It took some time to get the Xeon from 400x9 to 450x8

Quote:
Is the E4300 an 800 or 1066fsb chip i cant remember.
it's a 800 fsb chip, that's why I asked about the strap. it's possible, that the p5wdh use the 800 strap at 378MHz, this could be the problem. max fsb is 400MHz.

Quote:
6 Hard drives in a single case may get abit toasty!
I still work on that case
New Old Case
Old 8th June, 2007, 01:07 AM
Metal Wizard

Well it seems to me that you need to play with the mem strap alright but it also seems that you are bordering on heat being an issue. I also don't know much yet. Have you disabled some necessry item in the bios? see pic
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2.../IMG_2972a.jpg
What bios are you running?
What are all your volts set at? what timings are you running? are you on turbo on your mem. In my experience with the 14boards I have built on with G.Skill mem they won't hardly run unless I set the mem to turbo.
I will also tell you that I know a lot of people hitting the around 390 wall with that chip. Chrisbard is having a tough time of it with his 4300 also. We will just have to see what can be done with these little wonders. If anything. One more issue I see a lot!! is people with water cooling tend to think they don't need much air flow cuz their cpu is liquid cooled. That is just not so!!! I have a great liquid cooler and I run over 300CFM in and through my case!! you have lots of HDD's and memory sticks that need their own fan blowing on them. And a massive amount of fresh air blowing in for your vid card's cooling system to pick up and use.
Here is a shot of my newest P5W DH. Just installed it into WZ-3c last night. That's right the market was there so I ripped my other one out and sold it to someone who saw my other board was great and did not want to wait a few days to get one. So I put him a system together with my P5W that left me to play with my P5N-e in WZ-3c til last night when I was greeted at the door with yet another P5W DH. I keep the air ways very clear I have 2 X 120 fans inside directing air to my board and 1 x 90 mm fan right over my memory. My air flow is about as near perfect as I can make it and this is with liquid cooling!!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2.../IMG_3461a.jpg
the fruits of good overall cooling....
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...fthethebox.jpg Note the date was just yesterday on that cpuz

Give us more info please and we'll give it a shot.

WZ

Last edited by weldzilla; 8th June, 2007 at 01:08 AM.
Old 13th June, 2007, 01:04 AM

weldzilla, do you know how to change the strap?

board rev. 1.3 bios 2004
mem: gskill 2gbpk running 4-4-4-12-4 / 1:1 (400Mhz) / 1.9V / turbo
ECC, HP3, DRAM throttling, remap are disabled
speedstep, VT, eist are disabled

my whole rig is watercooled
pump -> cpu -> mosfet -> external radiator with three 120mm low noise papst fans @5V -> VGA (gpu + ram) -> SB -> NB -> internal radiator with three 120mm low noise papst fans @5V -> res -> pump

I placed a 80mm fan in front of the ram since ambient temp inreased to 30°C, summer

installed the xeon (400x9, 1.42V load) because I have alot to encode. finished half of it in 5 days, another 5 and my folding score should increase

I have only 2 hdds turned on for 24/7
I can run 6 drives 24/7, therefor it's necessary to switch the fans of the internal rad to 12V, but I don't need them all the time
Old 22nd June, 2007, 03:22 AM
Metal Wizard

your strap is where it is going to be and you won't be changing it on that board.
Now are you running another processor at 400fsb? If you are at 1:1 and you are only using 1.9v to your mem then that is more than likely a part of the problem or should I say the lack of mem voltage At 375 and above I would be running at 2.1 to 2.2 on my mem volts.

Not so sure but what you are at the 4300's limit without extreme cooling. I have been doing a lot of reading and I see quite a wall people are hitting with those processors.

WZ
Old 22nd June, 2007, 04:45 AM

The only E4300 I have any experience with belonged to a friend of mine, it just plain wouldn't break 394 on his board until we did a BSEL mod to the CPU to set the default FSB from 800 to 1066. once the mod was in place we were able to reach 420.

Just need to be sure your CPU will boot at 9 X 266 with default voltage.

Link Goodness. The mod shows 266 to 333 but it is the same pads to go from 800 to 1066
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...light=1333+mod
Old 22nd June, 2007, 10:47 AM

the last time I used an aircooler - for my Athlon XP

mem: I was up to 2.3V + fan (4-4-4-12 and 5-5-5-15)
the bsel mod didn't do anything. I used 1066 and the cpu booted at 200, oc was the same
Old 22nd June, 2007, 01:11 PM
Metal Wizard

Well I would not change to air! Here is an article for you written by Tony
he works for OCZ. And yes guys are doing circuit writer pen modds on cpus changing them from 266 to 333 or in your case from 200 to 266 which does effectively change strap as the board see it differently.
changing the mem dividers up for you. read the thread that ccperf has posted for you and this one too.
http://www.bleedinedge.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29757

Good reading.

WZ