AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Intel Motherboards & CPUs

Intel Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on INTEL products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 1st April, 2002, 06:42 PM

How to Overclock Memory

I have ASUS CUV4X Motherboard with 256M NOVA 133 Mhz Ram.

I see some guys overclock their Memory to gain speed.

I saw in my Bios I can set the System/SDRAM Frequency Ratio.
Auto 1/1 or 4/3 (synchronous or asynchronous mode)
What is the function for?
Then futher on SDRAM Configuration Options are
[User Define] [7 ns (143MHz)] [8ns (125 MHz)] [By SPD]

What can I do and what precautions should I take not to fry my Memory?

40 G Maxtor 7200RPM IDE
56 x CD ROM
ATI RADEON RV100 32M
COMPAQ V70 17" Monitor
SB LIVE!
WIN XP
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 2nd April, 2002, 04:02 AM

Send a message via ICQ to dimmreaper Send a message via AIM to dimmreaper

Setting the memory ratio to 1/1 runs the memory at the same speed as the FSB(system clock).

Setting the memory ratio to 4/3 runs the memory at 75% of the FSB, or 100MHz when the FSB is 133MHz.

Since the only way to overclock the multiplier locked Pentium 3 is to increase the FSB, which you are already doing, as long as your BIOS is set to 1/1 then you ARE overclocking your memory.

If you decide to push your FSB beyond 150MHz, you may find that you need to set the memory ratio to 4/3 because the memory won't overclock well enough. However, if you do push the FSB beyond 150MHz be sure to make a back-up copy of your harddrive with a program like Norton Ghost.

You can't fry parts with operating frequency, only heat and excesive voltage kill parts. Don't worry about your memory getting hurt.

Wishing you were someone else is a waste of the person you are. - Kurt Cobain

AOA Team fah

Last edited by dimmreaper; 2nd April, 2002 at 04:04 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 2nd April, 2002, 07:28 PM

Hi Dimm
If I understand you correctly you say if I change the System/SDRAM Frequency Ratio to 150 MHz it will change my Memory speed only and not the whole systems FSB speed??
Do you really get so mush more speed out of your machine when you overclock your memory?
40 G Maxtor 7200RPM IDE
56 x CD ROM
ATI RADEON RV100 32M
COMPAQ V70 17" Monitor
SB LIVE!
WIN XP
Old 3rd April, 2002, 12:49 AM

Send a message via ICQ to dimmreaper Send a message via AIM to dimmreaper

Quote:
Originally posted by Pappajoe
If I understand you correctly you say if I change the System/SDRAM Frequency Ratio to 150 MHz it will change my Memory speed only and not the whole systems FSB speed??
If you set the FSB to 150MHz and set the memory ratio to 1/1, the memory and FSB are both running at 150MHZ. If you set the FSB to 150 and the memory ratio to 4/3, the FSB will run at 150MHz and the memory will run at 112.5MHz. The FSB is how fast the CPU "talks to" the chipset, the memory speed is how fast the memory "talks to" the chipset.
Quote:
Originally posted by Pappajoe
Do you really get so mush more speed out of your machine when you overclock your memory?
50% of the instructions that make up the typical X86 multimedia application are of the load/store variety. So yes, you will see a nice little boost in performance. However a 10% increase in memory speed does not give a 10% increase in memory bandwidth, more like 2-3% it seems.

Wishing you were someone else is a waste of the person you are. - Kurt Cobain

AOA Team fah
Old 7th April, 2002, 01:13 AM

Send a message via AIM to mrpcman

Quote:
Originally posted by dimmreaper
If you set the FSB to 150MHz and set the memory ratio to 1/1, the memory and FSB are both running at 150MHZ. If you set the FSB to 150 and the memory ratio to 4/3, the FSB will run at 150MHz and the memory will run at 112.5MHz. The FSB is how fast the CPU "talks to" the chipset, the memory speed is how fast the memory "talks to" the chipset.
50% of the instructions that make up the typical X86 multimedia application are of the load/store variety. So yes, you will see a nice little boost in performance. However a 10% increase in memory speed does not give a 10% increase in memory bandwidth, more like 2-3% it seems.
maybe a tad more.