AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Intel Motherboards & CPUs

Intel Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on INTEL products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 17th July, 2007, 06:43 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Mobile Intel "Penryn" Core 2 Duos Revealed

Written by Daniel
Tuesday, 17 July 2007

Mobile Intel "Penryn" Core 2 Duos Revealed
Anh T. Huynh & Brandon Hill - July 17, 2007 12:43 PM
Daily Tech
MSI GX600 "Santa Rosa" based notebook with Turbo button
Intel's "Santa Rosa" platform gets a "Penryn" refresh before "Montevina" arrives...
Front Page
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 18th July, 2007, 02:23 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

I done read that mobile Core-Duets aren't magnificent performers. Bit of a rip, according to whoever published that factoid. Made me feel better about my Penteyoom M.
Old 18th July, 2007, 02:24 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloasters
I done read that mobile Core-Duets aren't magnificent performers. Bit of a rip, according to whoever published that factoid. Made me feel better about my Penteyoom M.
Maybe the latest ones are better.
Old 18th July, 2007, 03:58 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

I would expect that they perform decently for the clock speeds they run at, but they are going to be lower-clocked parts than the mainstream stuff simply because they need to be lower-power devices.

Add to that the fact that Conroe-derived chips aren't going to enjoy the same performance advantages over the Dothan cores that they enjoy over the Prescott cores, because they are in fact tweaked Dothan designs to start with (when you get right down to it).

At least, those are my first thoughts, without researching it more. I could be way wrong, too.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 18th July, 2007, 05:37 PM

I didnt think we'd be seeing desktop or mobile Penryn until early 08'

unless what I've been reading is wrong?
Old 18th July, 2007, 10:38 PM
Member/Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to keithwalton Send a message via MSN to keithwalton Send a message via Yahoo to keithwalton

From intels conferance call the other day (to which this info is mostly based) they are expecting to get desktop and workstation chips out by the end of the year. the XE edition out by crimbo for sure. intel are backing off for sure at the moment as they are not seeing amd as a threat especially since amd have said no more price cuts.

In the conferance call they suggested that the only threat they expect from amd is at a price point in the low end of the market and that in the performance front they expect to remain unchallenged!
2nd quaters and 1h'07 results should be coming in soon and with both intel and nvidia painting a pretty picture so far will amd follow!
we sure as hell hope so.

As for mobile core 2 duo peformance, the current crop of santa rosa chips are actually really quite good especially when in a dtr / performance laptop which has the rest of the system around it to compete. They give full blown desktops a run for there money. There are even some chips which can be overclocked!
A core 2 duo laptop with decent cooling can now run in excess of 3GHz simply because the chips start at such a low power rating (36w)

A point which amused me greatly when amd relesased a low power 2GHz desktop dual core that only needid 45w and the amd fanboys championed how great it was. Until i err posted that you could get a 2.4GHz laptop chip that uses 36w now and for quite sometime you could get a 2.33GHz chip that used 38w

Last edited by keithwalton; 18th July, 2007 at 10:45 PM.
Old 19th July, 2007, 01:50 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Can't argue with 38W! I'm trying to stave off dual-core envy, but I'm starting to lose the argument.
Old 19th July, 2007, 03:43 AM
Steve Jobs

I'm not waiting for Penryn, I'm just getting a new generation Santa-Rosa Merom core. T7500 and an 8400GS card, gets 3200 3dmarks in 05, and about 1700 in 06. Thats with a bottom end 3d card.

The mobiles are about the same as the desktop equivilants, which is unsurprising given that the desktops are derived from mobile chips anyway.

I still find it hilarious that intel went to all that trouble switching to Netburst after the Pentium 3. And then after all that money and time, the chip that finally saves Intel from AMD, is a Pentium 3 on steroids.
Running Fedora 15 Linux (GNOME 3)
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Drivers, Games, Demos, Mods and Overclocking Tools At AOAFiles
Old 19th July, 2007, 06:05 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloasters
Can't argue with 38W! I'm trying to stave off dual-core envy, but I'm starting to lose the argument.
Might be time for you to bow to a superior argument? ":O}
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Old 19th July, 2007, 11:59 AM
Member/Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to keithwalton Send a message via MSN to keithwalton Send a message via Yahoo to keithwalton

I was wrong the 2.4GHz chip uses 35w peak and not 36w http://processorfinder.intel.com/det...px?sSpec=SLA3M
Thats the details, there is a X7800 part just released (extreme edition mobile chip) I cant find details on that one yet as to how much power it draws.

Power wise they are actually quite high though it is two cpus, the last of the single core generation were 25-8w cpu's

As for performance wise when kitted with a 86/700 GT nividia card they are quite quick tho the old 7950GTX is quicker in them.

I am waiting for nvidia to release a 8800 mobile chip
Old 20th July, 2007, 08:49 PM

keith, did you actually read something about a mobile 8800 chip?