AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Intel Motherboards & CPUs

Intel Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on INTEL products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 5th April, 2002, 09:32 AM

Send a message via AIM to sho0sh Send a message via Yahoo to sho0sh

Whoops

The other night i thought that I would open my case to have a look at what I could do to overclock my processor.

IN the search for a multiplier on my board which turned out a waste of time i unplugged my fan for some reason. Then my mum called and i had to go out so i just quickly jammed the case back together.

Got home and plugged it all in and was playing Mohaa for about 30 mins then i whacked on a dvd.

I had thought that my computer was a bit loud and after about half an hour of dvd watching my computer just beeped and went caput.

I thought oh ****, so i tried turning it back on, all i got was the whoosh of the processor and then the sound of it failing. So i decided to open the case and see what the **** was wrong and i immediately saw the fan disconnected, and there was that really hot metal smell inside so i plugged it back in and prayed.

I dont know how the **** it managed to not melt my cpu but i am so glad it didnt. As soon as I put the fan back in it booted up straight away.

ANyone else have any **** ups that have mashed their comps?
.... Will be arriving tomorow !
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 5th April, 2002, 11:07 AM

Location: USS Great Britain, aircraft carrier, moored off the northwest coast of Europe
Send a message via ICQ to Random Nonsense Send a message via Yahoo to Random Nonsense

Re: Whoops

Quote:
Originally posted by sho0sh

all i got was the whoosh of the processor
huh?

Undergoing overhaul. Hard Locking to 13.5X multiplier for theoretical clockrate of 1944mhz 144mhz FSB

1X Duron 1.3 AHCLA "9" @ 1430mhz

1X Celeron 1000mhz

1X Pentium3 450 DECEASED

Folding Under AOA-UK for team 45!

"Mothers should love their babies, because then they grow up, everyone might hate them."
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 5th April, 2002, 12:45 PM

Send a message via AIM to ItHuNkPuNk

Re: Whoops

Quote:
Originally posted by sho0sh

I dont know how the **** it managed to not melt my cpu but i am so glad it didnt. As soon as I put the fan back in it booted up straight away.

Hmm.. Lemme guess.. Intel system eh :-D:nervous: :devil:
Old 5th April, 2002, 12:47 PM

Location: USS Great Britain, aircraft carrier, moored off the northwest coast of Europe
Send a message via ICQ to Random Nonsense Send a message via Yahoo to Random Nonsense

P4's wont EVER melt, they have a protection system. Tomshardware demonstrated it by pulling a sink off a P4 at full load... it just shut itself down

Undergoing overhaul. Hard Locking to 13.5X multiplier for theoretical clockrate of 1944mhz 144mhz FSB

1X Celeron 1000mhz

1X Pentium3 450 DECEASED

"Mothers should love their babies, because then they grow up, everyone might hate them."
Old 5th April, 2002, 07:27 PM
Banned

Only a blown power supply so far (that was an indirect victim of overclocking, but I think was more cheap than abused ).

Good news, if I forget to plug my fan back in I mind as well pour gasoline and strike a match for fun! lol
Old 5th April, 2002, 09:08 PM

Send a message via ICQ to dimmreaper Send a message via AIM to dimmreaper

Quote:
Originally posted by Random Nonsense
P4's wont EVER melt, they have a protection system. Tomshardware demonstrated it by pulling a sink off a P4 at full load... it just shut itself down
Actually it was the P3 that shut itself down. The P4 kept running! The P4 has some protection circuitry that activates a clock speed divider on the fly! If a P4 gets hot enough, it'll throttle itself back to reduce current consumption! The P4 has two internal temperature diods, one for motherboard health monitoring, and one for the integrated thermal protection.

There are rumors that the K8 will include such thermal protection to make it more attractive for server applications. I hope the rumors are true.

Wishing you were someone else is a waste of the person you are. - Kurt Cobain

AOA Team fah
Old 5th April, 2002, 09:14 PM

its the one thing i like about intel chips, almost total indestructability!

1X Celeron 1000mhz

1X Pentium3 450 DECEASED

Old 7th April, 2002, 04:15 AM

Send a message via MSN to Samuknow

IAlmost is the key word here. I had a PII fry when the HS clip broke and lost contact with the core. Looks pretty hangin from my lamp though.......