AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Intel Motherboards & CPUs

Intel Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on INTEL products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 20th February, 2008, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by richvanrooyen View Post
Man... If I max out both the cores at the same time, I can hit 59C... In fact, I managed to just hit 60 for a sec... Then I whacked the Stop button... I'm doing this with the Thermal Analysis Tool...
You should be testing your system with ORTHOS...This is a better way of judging the temps and it stresses your system for weakness to show you if your system is stable or not...
Download that here...
http://sp2004.fre3.com/beta/orthos_exe_20060420.cab

EVGA GTX 470 SC 37% OC (855/1710/2004) 160.5Gbs
3DMark Vantage: P24352
3DMark 11: P5119
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 20th February, 2008, 01:15 AM

The Blend test (Blend -stress CPU and RAM) under Orthos ran for an hour at around 53 Celsius.

The StressCPU - stress CPU with Gromacs core seems to be running at about 53 also.

By the way... I have checked the "Automatic Fan Speed" on the SpeedFan tool. Normally, the system will automatically adjust fan speeds correct?

I have used that Intel Desktop application (with the funky visuals), but I figured it would manage it itself... Is this the case? Used to have an ABIT board that would shut itself down if things got too hot... Nothing in the Intel BIOS for this....

Last edited by richvanrooyen; 20th February, 2008 at 02:19 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 20th February, 2008, 03:09 AM

Those are more realistic operating temps under loads so you should be OK at 3Ghz using the Stock cooler. But if you want to go higher you'll need better cooling. So now you have come to the world of overclocking!

I use a combination of the Intel Desktop control center & Speedfan together.
I have Intel control the CPU fan to go to full speed at 105F & start climbing up in speed at 100F, and the rest of the case fans that are plugged into the mobo headers kick into full at 108.
The other Case fans are full speed all the time and are quiet for the most part.
In the IDCC I set the CPU fan for auto & then for the case fans set them to Manual. Then have it trigger all systems fans to go to 100% at 108F.
Then I use Speedfan to control the case fans and have it auto control those fans. At slow they are at 60% and at full 100%. (Configure, Speeds tabs)
This way when I'm just sitting here typing like now my system's quite, but when I need the extra cooling like when I'm playing a Demanding Graphic vid game all the fans are at full speed. I don't hear them over the Guns and other sounds in the game...hehe
Btw, there is a setting in there (Thermal Trip) that when the CPU gets really hot it will shut down and it's on by default, but you never want to let it get to that point!

Last edited by MUff1N; 25th February, 2008 at 10:59 PM.
Old 20th February, 2008, 03:27 PM

Hey Muff1n... Ordered the Zalman heat sink you recommended. Also notice a funky little fan for the Dominator memory... Figured that wouldn't hurt. I do a lot of building, rebuilding, upgrading etc and have a massive case, so space isn't an issue.

Thanks for the information and I will keep you posted... I should get the cooler in a couple days...
Old 20th February, 2008, 08:56 PM

OK Cool, these are my setting for a 3.33Ghz overclock when you get the new cooler. You should be able to go to 3.6 easy after you get the cooler.
I can't go any higher because of heat getting to high after this because of voltages increases...

3.33GHz Overclock
Host Clock Frequency set to 333
CPU vcore set to 1.375 with Enhanced Powerslope enabled
Front Side Bus Voltage Override: 1.250
MCH/ICH Voltage Override: 1.525
Memory set to 4-4-4-12 CL @ 2.16v (667Mhz / 333 reference)

This is what the Sandra Benchmarks look like so you get to see the performance increase!
This also gives you a FSB of 1333
Attached Thumbnails
Real Intel 20% Overclock...-intel-core-2-duo-e6700-oc.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	351.6 KB
ID:	22089  

Last edited by MUff1N; 20th February, 2008 at 08:59 PM.
Old 20th February, 2008, 09:50 PM

Huh... Huh... Cool... I actually tried to OC the memory to 4-4-4-12 this morning as you had noted previously... Had to force config the BIOS again... Am I missing something there?

If I were to OC the memory at this point, what should I be setting it at?

333-667-4-4-4-12-2.1v?

Also, I moved the BIOS back to 2813 from 2809. Things are working fine there with the Failsafe Watchdog disabled.

Very excited to get the new heat sync...

After putzing around with the fan speeds, it seems to be running around 45 C rather than 53 C when running Prime95 or Orthos..
Old 20th February, 2008, 10:25 PM

Yea, the "default" fan setting in the Intel bios lets your CPU and Case temps get rather high before the fans start kicking into high gear...this is for the "normal" user and not for "overclockers" like us! So yes having the fans kick in sooner to higher speeds keeps everything much cooler. That's why I explained that to you...

Don't overclock your memory at all.
Where you get performance & throughput on a Northbridge system is with higher FSB & CPU speeds. Overclocking the memory won't help that.

Example:
If your FSB is letting 10,500mbs through & your memory is Pushing 15,800mbs you are still only going to get 10,500mbs throughput on your FSB. Understand?

Now tightening your memory timings (from 5 to 4 CL) is another story. This will give you faster response times...this is a good thing.
To do this you will have to increase your Voltage going to your memory. By how much I don't know now, but give me some time to do some researching on that and I'll get back to you OK.

OK found the info for the need voltage for 4-4-4-12 memory timings for your Dominator series memory. I'd wait till you have the Memory Coolers installed before applying this higher voltage to them because this is going to create a lot more heat on them. Also I'd try and see if they operate at a voltage just a notch below this voltage and still run stable in ORTHOS. OK
Needed voltage for max. frequency (4-4-4-12 timings) 2.750 V

Personally, I've have my memory overclocked to 960Mhz (before I learned more about overclocking) and was applying 2.24v to them with no problems at all. The hottest they got was 104F without the memory cooling and mine are the XMS2 series with just the metal heatspreaders on them unlike your Dominator memory cards that have much better cooling and heatsinks.

Oh! One other thing I wanted to ask you...Did you think to also order the thermal paste for your CPU cooler???
If not, then you NEED to order Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound.
Newegg.com - Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound - OEM

How do you use and apply the thermal paste?
Instructions here---> Arctic Silver Incorporated - Arctic Silver 5 Instructions

Last edited by MUff1N; 20th February, 2008 at 11:05 PM.
Old 20th February, 2008, 11:02 PM

So, if (after I get the cooler for the memory and cpu) I wish to OC the memory, I wouldn't adjust the frequency, just the voltage and timings... Correct?

I totally understand about the throughput...

By the way, what is your source for these memory settings? Digging these up from the Corsair site?
Old 20th February, 2008, 11:10 PM

Google & other overclocking forums...Now this might not be the "exact" voltage for 4-4-4-12 of your memory cards, but I'm positive it will be very close if not exact because of the sources.
Dominator Memory cards CAN take more voltage because of their better cooling solutions & heatsinks so I makes perfect sense to me...This is just a notch higher voltage than what I had mine at when I was overclocking them HARD...

"I wouldn't adjust the frequency, just the voltage and timings... Correct? " Yes Exactly...

Oh, while I'm at it since I've never been in the maintenance section of the bios...
What did you do with the jumper block to get to where the "Watchdog Timer" was? I want to see if this is enabled on my mobo or not.
If it is I want to disable Watchdog and see if it's easier for me to get to 3.4Ghz. It should be because of other posts I've read about this board and what others used in their settings. Thanks...
Yea, I'm still learning & you can learn new stuff from anybody!

Last edited by MUff1N; 21st February, 2008 at 02:53 AM.
Old 23rd February, 2008, 09:08 PM

Hey Muff1n... Just an fyi... I received the Zalman CNPS9700 fan... What an incredible pain in the ass to install. Had to actually pull the motherboard on the system. It has a back plate to goes behind the motherboard. It is sturdy though and, I believe the back plate is actually a good idea. It's actually bolted together! Along with that, I got the Corsair memory fan. So, the CPU is thorough cooled and the memory is also... The case itself is quite cool. Big fans all over. I have the Thermaltake Armor case, lots of room and all fans...

Now, for the OC attempt.
I attempted the OC at 3.33 gHZ (I believe it was Vista having a hairykairy), but didn't get anywhere. So, I clocked it back to 3.2 gHz and it booted. But, when I run Orthos, it runs fine on the Grimrose (grimrose?) test, but the blended test fails very quickly.

Now, I believe the blended test primarily mixes memory testing and cpu testing. So, I figured I would test the memory by itself with the MemTest.org tool Memtest86. That seems to be running fine.

I jumped back to the 2809 bios instead of 2813 (13 was it?). Anyway, I'm hoping that will resolve the failure there.

According to memtest, the RAM is running at 478 MHz, DDR 957/:CAS 5-5-5-15 Dual Channel
Old 24th February, 2008, 03:08 AM

You didn't know you had to pull the mobo to install that? hehe!
Yea, that's why they mount so sturdy and get such good cooling results!
Mine is also Bolted down with a backplate. Just about all BIG good CPU coolers are now...
Anyways, this is what I've been up to today....This board clocks so easily now...

What's giving you problems Rich is your memory & the divider being async (default divider setting). Pretty sure anyways...not positive though! LOL
Try using the 667 memory frequency and have the reference frequency set at default and see if that works.
If not, then you are going to have to put some more voltage to your memory to stabilize it...

After disabling C1E, EIST & Watchdog timer this board overclocks really easy!
I just tested what used to give me problems before with those enabled, but now I have no problems at all with the exception of CPU HEAT.

Testing with ORTHOS it's really stable @ 3.4Ghz, but it's getting up to 138F under FULL Load!!!
I'm Positive Rich that with the Zalman 9700 Cooler you got now you'll be able to easily clock to 3.6Ghz!!!
I need a better CPU cooler before I can go higher. I'm going to put it back to 3.33Ghz because of the heat getting to high for my comfort.

OK then...Settings for 3.4Ghz on the Badaxe 2!

3.4GHz Overclock (For You)

Host Clock Frequency set to 340
CPU vcore set to 1.3625v with Enhanced Powerslope Enabled
Front Side Bus Voltage Override: 1.250v
MCH/ICH Voltage Override: 1.525v
Set Memory to 5-5-5-15 CL @ 2.12v / Memory frequency: 667 / Reference Frequency Default (FSB/DRAM 4:5) @ 852Mhz
Attached Thumbnails
Real Intel 20% Overclock...-cpu-z-3.4ghz-overclock.jpg   Real Intel 20% Overclock...-everest-cache-and-memory-bench.jpg Memory Bench.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	174.8 KB
ID:	22103   Real Intel 20% Overclock...-sandra-arithmic-3.4ghz.jpg   Real Intel 20% Overclock...-3.4ghz-oc-corsair-xms2-twin2x2048-6400c4 @ 852Mhz.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	407.8 KB
ID:	22106  

Last edited by MUff1N; 24th February, 2008 at 04:45 AM.
Old 24th February, 2008, 09:14 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

2.7v for Memory sounds WAY high. Don't think I'd do that, personally.
Old 24th February, 2008, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloasters View Post
2.7v for Memory sounds WAY high. Don't think I'd do that, personally.
That's why I told Rich to use the optimal timings of 5-5-5-15 @ 2.12v & lower the memory divider...

Old 25th February, 2008, 04:51 PM

Hmmm...

Just a quick update... According to Orthos, the 3.2 ghz is running fine with no problems... temps are right around 48C in the cores. CPU temp is a tad higher...

This was when I was running at 3.2 ghz with memory at 5-5-5-15 2.1v and 667 mHZ.

But, when I attempted to run at 3.4 ghz, it would crap out on the Blend test in Orthos.

I've bumped the CPU voltage to 1.375 and am rerunning the tests at 3.4 ghz. I also popped the memory up to 2.2v...

PS - Do I need to be concerned about the CPU temp value in SpeedFan? It is typically a couple degrees above the core temps... The rule of thumb that I have seen so far is core temps less than 60c...
Old 25th February, 2008, 10:53 PM

If you don't have to raise the memory voltage don't! Only raise voltage if it's unstable.
If you think the memory is causing the stability problems then raise it up just a notch and test again. Say 2.16v up from 2.12v.

This is what I would test since I've got the exact same board and CPU.
Now if Orthos throws up a red flag then try increasing the memory voltage first up another notch to see if that stablizes it. If not, THEN raise the vcore...
As stated before in my previous post, Bios version 2813 is CRAP, so if you are using it you may continue to have issues at higher clock speeds...
I'd go with v2809. Very Stable bios version, Supports the newest processors and all the settings would stick even with C1E, EIST enabled.

For vcore use 1.3625v
For memory use 2.16v-2.2v

These are my current settings for 3.4GHz
Bios screenshots. Keep in mind the memory Timings are for MY memory that is CL4. Yours are CL5 so stick with your timings but the other settings will all be the same.
Attached Thumbnails
Real Intel 20% Overclock...-cpu-bios-settings.jpg   Real Intel 20% Overclock...-memory-bios-settings.jpg  

Last edited by MUff1N; 26th February, 2008 at 07:03 AM.
Old 1st March, 2008, 01:25 AM

Cool

I'm now up to the Absolute "Safe" limit of my temps using my current CPU cooler, but it's a nice 30% overclock and a good start!
CPU-Z Validator 2.1
Btw, I got richvanrooyen's system up to 3.4Ghz now and he's happy with the performance results with his software applications & games!
Once I get a Zalman CPNS9700 cooler then I'm going to at the very least 3.6Ghz...but you know me...before I'm done it will be closer to 4Ghz! LOL
Attached Thumbnails
Real Intel 20% Overclock...-cpu-z-3.46ghz.jpg   Real Intel 20% Overclock...-everest-ultimate-full-systems-overclock-info  

Last edited by MUff1N; 6th March, 2008 at 07:14 PM.