AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Intel Motherboards & CPUs

Intel Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on INTEL products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 18th January, 2008, 09:23 PM

Real Intel 20% Overclock...

Hey guys! Been awhile since I stopped by to see what was going on and put something in your forum! Yea, I've been upping my clocking little by little as I get used to the speed...LOL I want Faster!!! What I meant by Real Intel was the mobo I'm using is and actual Intel mobo, unlike a Gigabyte Intel mobo.
I really noticed a difference in how games like Crysis & COD4 Play (really all my games) now...Much Smoother with higher FPS.
I noticed that even after letting Prime95 Run for a few hours with NO errors that when I play Crysis I would get random errors that would come up! But after increasing the vcore voltage up one notch that all went away...so it seems that the only way to know for sure if you've got a good stable overclock is testing it playing a game that puts a lot of stress on the system like Crysis does...hmmm

So here's my results with this my current rig now...
The only thing holding me back from going higher that I can see is my memory & a better CPU heatsink/cooler. Seems I've just about maxed that out on this rig...
I know it's nothing compared to what you guys do, but for me it was a good modest (safe) performance increase.

Intel Core 2 Duo E6700 @ 3.2Ghz / 1.325v
Intel D975XBX2 @ 1282 FSB / default voltage
2x1GB Corsair XMS2 TWIN2X2048-6400C4 (4-4-4-12) @ 960Mhz / 2.24v

This is exactly a 20% Performance increase.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...U-ZReadout.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...mOverclock.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...E670032Ghz.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...0C44-4-4-1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...00GTSOCMax.jpg

Last edited by MUff1N; 19th January, 2008 at 11:01 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 18th January, 2008, 09:37 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Nothing wrong with a 20% gain!I f you want more, there's more where that came from. How do your temps look? I see you have Everest, have you run torture test for your present settings? They will push the heat up and give you and idea of what kind of cooling you want to be thinking about.

Don't leave torture test unattended in the 1st 1/2 hour it will max out heat wise by then and you can gage it's safety. yeah, better RAM won't hurt! ":O}
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 19th January, 2008, 02:18 PM

Its ok for a first attempt although i am sure you could reach 3600MHz without problems.
Old 19th January, 2008, 10:48 PM

Arrow

Unfortunately I'm very limited on funds (understatement because I'm disabled), so I can't afford to get a better CPU heatsink/cooler or replace or upgrade anything in my system at this time. My current CPU cooler is an Asus 3 heatpipe VGuard Series Aluminum CPU cooler that I lapped & used Arctic Silver Ceramique on...
I've been running like this for a couple of months now with no problems at all while playing games or running other software applications.
After a year or so after prices go down more on hw parts and after some saving of money I should be able to get both a better CPU cooler & faster memory.

The Hottest the Temps got in Prime were 126F/52c on both cores (not CPU, I know that's -10F under) & 104F/40c on the Corsair memory during the torturer testing with Prime, so I think I'm in the safe zone on that. While playing Crysis with everything overclocked the hottest it got was 119F/48c. 20F/-7c under max temps for the cores, while the graphics card GPU temps only got to 149F/65c (at the clock speeds shown in Everest) which is well below max temps for the 8800GTS.

Last edited by MUff1N; 19th January, 2008 at 11:24 PM.
Old 20th January, 2008, 12:37 AM

I have my E6600 running at 3510MHz and the highest i get with 2orthos running at the same time is 47c degrees. However i have the scythe infinity with 2 Fans in push and pull config and 10 more fans in my system.
Old 20th January, 2008, 06:05 PM

Not looking too bad, 3.2 at that voltage is very respectable.

Some tips to help you get a few more FPS.

There is almost no performance advantage in running the memory async, plus you would ne hard pressed to find memory that will do better than 960 4 4 4 at a reasonable voltage. Over all bus speed, latencies and CPU speed is where you will gain more perfromance in a N/B equipped system. Strap speeds can also play a big part but you don't have the advantage of being able to lock the strap on that board so it is a moot point.

My advice.. Run the memory at 1:1, start dropping the CPU multiplier and run the FSB up. Your board will probably give up by 425FSB so the 8 multi is the best shot..
Old 20th January, 2008, 06:10 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUff1N View Post
Unfortunately I'm very limited on funds (understatement because I'm disabled), so I can't afford to get a better CPU heatsink/cooler or replace or upgrade anything in my system at this time. My current CPU cooler is an Asus 3 heatpipe VGuard Series Aluminum CPU cooler that I lapped & used Arctic Silver Ceramique on...
I've been running like this for a couple of months now with no problems at all while playing games or running other software applications.
After a year or so after prices go down more on hw parts and after some saving of money I should be able to get both a better CPU cooler & faster memory.

The Hottest the Temps got in Prime were 126F/52c on both cores (not CPU, I know that's -10F under) & 104F/40c on the Corsair memory during the torturer testing with Prime, so I think I'm in the safe zone on that. While playing Crysis with everything overclocked the hottest it got was 119F/48c. 20F/-7c under max temps for the cores, while the graphics card GPU temps only got to 149F/65c (at the clock speeds shown in Everest) which is well below max temps for the 8800GTS.
Given that you are on a budjet, many of us are! I think you've done rather well. You have a sloid foundation in place, fast and depenable! One that can later increase speed as budjet allows. Well done!

you might ask in our For sale section if any have what you need at a low discount price? Some rather nice coolers there from time to time...

If you offered to use it to fold, someone might fix you up hey!? ":O}
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Old 20th January, 2008, 06:16 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

In the mean time Following ccperf721p advice won't harm you and will get you enough imporovement to be well worth doing! ":O}
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Old 20th January, 2008, 08:59 PM

I've been all around inside my mobo's bios and from what I can see, the only way to reduce the memory speeds is by using a slower frequency (667) to get higher FSB/CPU speeds. The Memory/FSB (DRAM/FSB Ratio:3/2) latch is Locked from what I can see as well as the CPU Multiplier...

Correct me if I'm wrong on this though OK. I'm always ready to LEARN more from others that have been doing this for a long time already...
I'm not exactly "new" to this, but neither am I a veteran enthusiast either.
Check out my bios an let me know OK...

bit-tech.net | Intel Desktop Board D975XBX2 - Rear I/O & BIOS

Last edited by MUff1N; 20th January, 2008 at 09:08 PM.
Old 20th January, 2008, 09:56 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Welcome to AOA, MUff1N!
An extra 20% in performance is nothing to sneeze at. Is it possible that summer-time temps in Arizona might have an impact in the heat zone? Naw, no way.
Old 21st January, 2008, 01:13 AM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloasters View Post
Welcome to AOA, MUff1N!
An extra 20% in performance is nothing to sneeze at. Is it possible that summer-time temps in Arizona might have an impact in the heat zone? Naw, no way.
You hit this nail dead on the head!!! I makes a BIG difference!!!
Right now the ambient temps in my bedroom are 62F(17c) and in the Summer it's 80F(27c) and the reason being is the Electric bill. To keep it at 70F would cost over $200 a month in air conditioning.

I KNOW for a fact that come summer because of this & my smaller CPU cooler that I WILL have to reduce my frequency back to 3.0Ghz to stay in the safe temp range while playing my games!!! ( I was at 3.0Ghz all last summer) I'll keep it at 3.2Ghz as long as the temps allow, but when it starts getting to 130F I'm reducing it back to 3Ghz. I like to keep a buffer of at the very least 15F(-9c) from MAX but feel better with 20F(-7c). The stated MAX Temp for the E6700 cores are 140F(60c)
Btw, this is what I have for case fans...
1-120mm Front
1-80mm Top
3-80mm Rear
Plus I have pulled all the foam filters out of everything to where it's just wire screening so the air can move it through it more freely and unrestricted.
This alone lowered the ambient temps in the case by 10-15F...
I also have a CPU Port Screen on the "window side" of the computer case for added ventilation. For the most part my Memory and Mobo run Cool. It's the CPU that gets Hotter than the rest...

As I said, I'm will to learn from anybody...Yea, I got the gist of what you guys are saying and no offense is taken, and NO this wasn't my "first try" at overclocking...LOL My First was when I was 15 years old...uhhh Oh! that's another subject!!! LMAO!!!
No my first overclock try was 3Ghz and was successful. That's the reason I moved up to 3.2, BUT I hit a WALL at 3.4Ghz because of my Memory not being able to go fast enough...This is why I wanted someone to look at my bios and tell me my options to get a higher FSB/CPU speed...OK I do realise at this time, that without having a better CPU heatsink/cooler its ill advised to clock any higher. But I still would like to know how when I do get one...You can never learn too much...
The link provided has pictures of the bios screens.

Last edited by MUff1N; 21st January, 2008 at 01:24 AM.
Old 21st January, 2008, 01:29 AM

Lowering the memory frequency is the same as using a divider, might be able to push a little farther on the 667 mem freq.

I didn't realize the BX2 didn't allow multiplier adjustments. Kind of a shame really..
Old 21st January, 2008, 01:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccperf721p View Post
Lowering the memory frequency is the same as using a divider, might be able to push a little farther on the 667 mem freq.

I didn't realize the BX2 didn't allow multiplier adjustments. Kind of a shame really..
OK thanks for the advice...I figured that's what it was but wasn't positive.
Old 21st January, 2008, 03:35 AM

OK I got a question...Which is better performance for Gaming?
Crysis, COD4, ET:QW, etc...
Thanks for your input and your patience with me...
Both are stable overclocks.
Having it at 3.2Ghz/ FSB 1282/ Memory 960Mhz
Or having it at 3.3Ghz/ FSB 1320 / Memory 826Mhz
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...E670033Ghz.jpg

These are my current setting now
CPU 3.3Ghz / 1.3375v
FSB 1320 / 1.250v
MCH/ICH / 1.525v
Memory 826Mhz 4-4-4-12 / 2.12v

By setting the memory frequency at 667 I can overclock higher without the memory going to fast.
And yes you are correct, the Multiplier IS LOCKED on this mobo...it skips over it when trying to select it in the bios...RRR

Ran into a wall at 3.4Ghz and if you'd like to help me get there that would be cool. It's not stable in Prime95.
If so, I'll tell you the settings and voltages I tried. I wrote them down as I went...I always try to use the lowest voltage I can to get it stable.
I'll learn more about doing this given a little time and someone trying to help me! Thanks...

Last edited by MUff1N; 21st January, 2008 at 07:56 PM.
Old 21st January, 2008, 04:55 AM

3.2 3.3 is the breaking point for C2D's and near stock voltage. While I don't add any more voltage than necessary getting to 3.4 or above will usually require right around 1.4v

Let me do a little investigating and find out what the badaxe responds to. With so few adjustments available in the bios we are limited as to the approach we can take. There isn't much in the bios we can use to finesse an overclock from, so it is more of forced approach..

Do you have a voltage limit in mind? Always good to set a limit that you are comfortable with.. If you find yourself thinking about the voltage then drop it down a bit.
Old 21st January, 2008, 08:43 AM

Thanks for that input! I now at least got an idea as to why it's so easy to get to 3.3Ghz Stable, and 3.4Ghz isn't!
The reason I'd like to get to 3.4Ghz is it out performs in the CPU,FSB & memory speeds with the memory set at 667 compared to the benchmarks I get at the settings at 3.2Ghz with the memory at 800Mhz on both the CPU benchmarks and Memory benchmarks using Sandra.
I did some benchmarks to see what kind of improvement I'd get even though it wasn't 100% stable and liked what I saw.

As far as CPU Voltage...yea, I start getting nervous around 1.4v with this CPU/heatsink cooler as it's not the greatest.
But I'm willing to give it a test and watch CLOSELY what the core temps do with Prime on a Torture test.
I'll get back with you guys and see if you have any more advice for me on this. So much for "Finesse" LOL. Thanks

Last edited by MUff1N; 21st January, 2008 at 08:55 AM.
Old 21st January, 2008, 04:53 PM

I use 1.375v with a divider of 9 and memory speed of 390 ( 780 ).
3510MHz is not a small thing.
Try the same settings and tell us what happens

PS : should be easier for you to reach 3510 since you have 200MHz on the stock speed more than me.
Old 21st January, 2008, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellasVagabond View Post
I use 1.375v with a divider of 9 and memory speed of 390 ( 780 ).
3510MHz is not a small thing.
Try the same settings and tell us what happens

PS : should be easier for you to reach 3510 since you have 200MHz on the stock speed more than me.
OK, here's my results...RED Flag on Prime seconds into testing...
I tried all the vcore voltage ranges from 1.3377 & 1.4000 @ 3.4Ghz.
Suggestions are welcome...Maybe increase the FSB voltage?
You know, I'm starting to think that maybe this CPU just doesn't like 3.4Ghz! LOL Are there processors that don't like certain frequencies???
For now, I really don't want to go any faster than 3.4Ghz...because of HEAT...
Keep in mind I CAN'T LOWER the Multiplier on this Badaxe board...it skips over that selection in the bios when trying to select it, so I'm Stuck with X10 Multiplier...RRR

I read an Article on Techspot about overclocking the E6700 and the results they got were on a ASUS P5W DH Deluxe board, but showed this processor easily hit 3.66 Stable at the default X10 Multiplier.
BUT, the voltages used to achieve this were way higher then I'd want to use or feel comfortable with. I can't afford to replace anything at all right now on my system.
I might just have to leave well enough alone until I can get better cooling for the CPU.
Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 and E6700 Overclocking - TechSpot

Last edited by MUff1N; 22nd January, 2008 at 03:01 AM.
Old 22nd January, 2008, 12:06 AM

Well in the end you need better cooling......And NEVER go above 1.4v , thats not recommended for everyday use.
Old 22nd January, 2008, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellasVagabond View Post
NEVER go above 1.4v , thats not recommended for everyday use.
Ooops.. I've been bad..

Anyway, I have a couple of higher end boards that were used for some reviews, while I have a problem selling boards I got for free I don't have a problem giving them away. I'll dig them out and boot them up over the weekend and see if you might be interested in one. They were used for less than a week but there is no warranties on them as the reviews contained some phase change overclocking, so I have sealed them up.