AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Intel Motherboards & CPUs

Intel Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on INTEL products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 7th March, 2008, 04:11 PM

Real 20% Overclock continued...

Muff1n... The other thread was getting rather huge... I figured I would start another...

Wanted to give you an update...

I was having problems with stability in Orthos at 3.4 ghz with a 1.4 vcore voltage...

I did something really crazy and bumped up the voltages on the MCH and the ICH... The results were great...

I think in general, my problem has been related to these lower voltages and a bit heat related...

Thanks for the link to that D975XBX2 website (GTJ's IntelĀ® 975XBX2 Bad Axe 2 Guide)... It has some great stuff in there. Very informative and it helps clear up some of the questions.

My challenge at this point is to figure out how to get my memory up to the fsb speed somehow!

I'm currently running at 3.46 ghz and I'm stable in Orthos with about 2 notches up on the MCH and ICH voltages with the VCore voltage at 1.4v.

Once I hit 3.5 ghz, Vista will not boot. I believe it is related to the RAM stability.

Would you recommend upping the RAM voltage more when attempting to move past 3.46 ghz? Also, is it worth the time to move past this if the FSB and memory throughput aren't close?

With my current settings the FSB Throughput is :11072 and the Est Real-World throughput is : 7217 (according to the calculator on the above website).

Current BIOS settings:
CPU Voltage Override: 14000V
Enhanced Power Slope: Enabled
FSB Voltage Override: 1.350v
MCH/ICHv Override: 1.6000v
Host Clock Fre (Mhz): 346

Memory Configuration:
Memory Correction: Non-ECC
Performance Memory Profiles: Manual
Reference Frequency: Default
Memory Frequency: 667
tCL: 5
tRCD: 5
tRP: 5
tRASmin: 15
Memory Voltage: 2.2v

PSU - SILVERSTONE DECATHLON DA850 ATX 12V 2.2 & EPS 12V 850W Power Supply - Retail
MBrd- Intel BOXD975XBX2KR LGA 775 Intel 975X ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
CPU - Intel Core 2 Duo E6700 2.66Ghz
Memory (4 gig total) - CORSAIR Dominator 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TWIN2X2048-8500C5D
Video - EVGA 768-P2-N831-AR GeForce 8800GTX 768MB 384-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Retail
Old 7th March, 2008, 08:16 PM

You should have change the title to this thread to "Overclocking with the Intel Bad Axe 2 Mobo" because we've already gone passed the 20% mark & are now are up to 30%...hehe

First off, you are now going into "Uncharted Territory" with me.
Honestly I don't know what are acceptable voltage ranges for the North & South bridges.

Secondly, you are looking at the charts the wrong way between the FSB/Memory speeds matching up.
If you really want them to be close to the same throughput, then lower your memory divider to 1:1 by using the 533 memory reference!
At 3.46Ghz your FSB throughput is 11,072 & the memory (at 1:1) is 11,104.
You have to remember that the memory is working in Dual Channel output! You were looking at Single channel output!
You shouldn't have to increase the voltage going to your memory unless you are overclocking it way passed factory specs.
For me with my XMS2 800 memory, I didn't have to increase the voltage until I got passed 900MHz & at your current frequency your not even close to that yet.

I've found testing playing games that the memory seems to respond better being just a bit faster than the FSB...this may just be in my mind, but my games seem to play better that way @ 4:5 then 1:1.

Also, everyone here will tell you when overclocking to higher speeds that you will want to drop the divider to 1:1 to take the memory out of the picture so that you know it's the processor & or FSB/Southbridge that needs more voltage to stabilize your system...

You must have a bit more of a Vdrop under full load (Voltage Drop) then I do with what's connected up to my system because I don't have to use that much voltage on my system for it to be stable at 3.46Ghz & didn't have to raise the NB or SB voltages. Then again, I may have gotten a better processor die then you got so it doesn't need as much voltage as yours does.

Btw, what revision board do you have & what model? There are differences...
These are mine in the attach...
Attached Thumbnails
Real 20% Overclock continued...-image-0.jpg  

EVGA GTX 470 SC 37% OC (855/1710/2004) 160.5Gbs
3DMark Vantage: P24352
3DMark 11: P5119

Last edited by MUff1N; 7th March, 2008 at 08:43 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 7th March, 2008, 11:25 PM

Muff1n... Looks slightly higher on the BX2...
Attached Thumbnails
Real 20% Overclock continued...-cpuzmainboard.jpg  
Old 8th March, 2008, 03:52 AM

Exclamation

Yea, looks like your mobo is just slightly newer than mine but not enough to make any real difference.

Oh, btw, I never took the time to read all of that site's stuff on the "Real World" throughput on the memory & IF what he says is true, then overclocking your memory will give you better throughput.
But from what I've been told by "Seasoned Overclocking Veterans" this is not the case...
What makes me skeptical, is that he doesn't go into detail as to how he arrived at these testing results to be a proven fact...
"Although the bus is actually 2 channels, real-world throughput isn't double that of a single channel. My own testing and other test results I've seen published suggest about a 30% throughput increase."
He doesn't say or provide a link to these testing results and how they were determined...

Anyways, if you want to overclock your memory then put it back to 800Mhz memory settings (2:3) then apply more voltage (if needed) to your memory to get them stable. For me to OC mine to 960Mhz (for default DDR2 800) I had to use 2.24v and this was as fast as they would run and be stable. This also raised the memory temps up to 104F, but I don't see this as being an issue with you because you are using the Dominator cards with the addon Corsair memory cooler.
I'd start at 2.12v and go up from there. You'll just have to experiment to see what works with your memory.
At 2:3 your memory frequency should be 1040MHz with a 30% overclock on your system. The highlighted line in the chart would be the memory settings for 3.46GHz.
Your memory should be able to do this at Default optimal settings of 5-5-5-15 @ 2.12v because this is actually slower than their rated speed of 1066MHz.
Attached Thumbnails
Real 20% Overclock continued...-3.46ghz-calculations.jpg  

Last edited by MUff1N; 8th March, 2008 at 08:41 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10th March, 2008, 01:51 PM

Hey Muff1n... Had no luck OCing the memory. It simply won't boot. In most cases, it won't even get past the BIOS.

My system is running nice and cool even under Orthos currently. I believe it rarely hits 50c when running stress. Usually right around 46c.

Do you recommend setting the memory frequency to 133 (ref) and then Memory frequency to 800 mhz and then climb from there? Or start at 333 ref and mem freq 800 mhz and push up the voltage till it works?
Old 11th March, 2008, 04:19 PM

NOOOOOOOOO... Flames started shooting out the back of my computer!!!

Just kidding... But, I did get a couple scary sound card snaps and a strange high pitch sound coming from the PSU...

I increased the voltage on the memory and am now able to run the Blended Orthos tests at 667 (memory frequency) and 3.46 ghz CPU...

I putzed around with using 800 freq for the memory, but didn't get very far. Was unable to clock it past 3.2 ghz on the CPU before I got the really funky sounds from the PSU... That scared me out of it for a while... I believe I have the memory currently volted to 2.28v and it seems to be stable (Orthos Blended)...
Old 11th March, 2008, 11:18 PM

The memory settings for overclocking them would be at 2:3 ratio.
800 Memory and Default frequency reference.
As I said my WALL doing it this way was at 3.2GHz pushing my memory from 800Mhz to 960Mhz @ 4-4-4-12 CL4/ 2.24v.

I would start at 3.2Ghz and apply more voltage as necessary to both the CPU & Memory as needed as you go higher till its stable.
Sounds to my like your memory is finicky, because my system will bootup even with the memory unstable at higher clock speeds up to 980Mhz.

Last edited by MUff1N; 11th March, 2008 at 11:22 PM.
Old 12th March, 2008, 02:24 PM

I believe the issue may also be related to 4 gigs of RAM... Anyway, I'm running fine at 3.46 ghz... I'm pretty happy with that although it begs me to putz around more with it... The system is just so nice and cool at this point...
Old 12th March, 2008, 02:27 PM

Send a message via MSN to Samuknow

I have been running my 6400 unlinked. I can set the memory to whatever frequency I want. Is there any real benefit running memory faster than stock. Right now I am running mine at 900 and the cpu is 8 x 1650 for 3300.
Old 14th March, 2008, 03:02 PM

Not sure... From what I have been reading, there is no real substantial benefit to this...

Just a side note... With my machine oc'ed at 3.46 ghz, my VMWare images were dying like crazy.... So, I down clocked to 3.40 ghz and all was well.

Then, I attempted to install Vista x64 (with SP1) on another partition... Holy.... Data corruption everywhere... It could barely stand. I believe it is related to the overclock... Anyone experienced this? Seems Vista 64 is very sensitive...
Old 14th March, 2008, 03:19 PM

64 bit OS's will be more sensitive to overclocks. Not sure what you are using to test your OC, games don't cut it due to most of the work being offloaded to the GPU.

The latest Prime95 beta does a fair job of testing CPU and memory stability. I don't consider my rigs stable until I can run 16 hours of prime with 3DMark 2001 looping in the backround the entire time. It's more of a personal preference, 8 hours is plenty.
Old 14th March, 2008, 04:14 PM

I will have to give that a try... Definite issue here... I down clocked to 3.00 ghz and still had problems with corruption. I'm going to attempt the install without any overclock...

Man... This sucks...
Old 14th March, 2008, 04:29 PM

If dropping the CPU back to 3.0 still gives issues, I would start looking at memory. You can find a bootable memtest iso or floppy image. Boot it and run tests 5 and 8.
Old 15th March, 2008, 02:02 AM

The other thing is, once you have OC too high, your drive may be corrupt and you might have to repair or reinstall. Backing the clock down will not fix the corruption.
Old 15th March, 2008, 02:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuknow View Post
I have been running my 6400 unlinked. I can set the memory to whatever frequency I want. Is there any real benefit running memory faster than stock. Right now I am running mine at 900 and the cpu is 8 x 1650 for 3300.
According to this guy's article there is a benefit to overclocking your memory fast, but I've also read plenty that says contrary to this. GTJ's IntelĀ® 975XBX2 Bad Axe 2 Guide
This was written specifically for the BX2 mobo but I don't see why it wouldn't also apply to others running a Northbridge system.
What makes me skeptical, is that he doesn't give any links to the research on how he came about this resolution of memory & throughput for "Real World throughput". http://www.peakin.com/xbx2/calculator.html

So if you take his guide as "Fact", then the correct settings for me (with my current memory) would be a 3.2Ghz OC with my memory running at 2:3 @ 960Mhz with a 1066 FSB strap & this would give me the most throughput.
These are the exact settings I used to have my system running at when I first posted the Real Intel 20% Overclock...
But playing games I don't see any benefit to it at all, and this is what I mainly use my computer for.

Last edited by MUff1N; 15th March, 2008 at 03:13 AM.
Old 15th March, 2008, 03:45 AM

I will run some benches with the mem at default and at OC to see if there is a diff. I will leave the FSB the same to take it out of the equation.
Old 23rd March, 2008, 11:24 AM

Talking Hi

I overlocked my Q6600 to 3.4ghz over 1ghz from 2.4 at default. I set mulptilier 378x9 for cpu and dual dram buss to 944. Add 1.305 volt to for cpu core voltstage and 2.10 for Ram. My system's stable with prime95 for 12 hours, currently It's running 24/7 to fold for stanford, no system crash occur and nothing bad happen.

I have a plant to overlock to 3.7 ghz, but only when I completely set up 2 more water blocks for chip set and Pwm, then i will do it.

I just want to post some pics, but the forum policy do not let me do that.
Old 23rd March, 2008, 12:10 PM

Welcome to AOA and great OC there. I am amazed at the OC abilities of the conroe. 1 ghz OC seems to be an easy feat with them. My 6400 is at 3.3 from a 2.13 stock with 1.22 volts.
Old 3rd April, 2008, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjhieu View Post
I overlocked my Q6600 to 3.4ghz over 1ghz from 2.4 at default. I set mulptilier 378x9 for cpu and dual dram buss to 944. Add 1.305 volt to for cpu core voltstage and 2.10 for Ram. My system's stable with prime95 for 12 hours, currently It's running 24/7 to fold for stanford, no system crash occur and nothing bad happen.

I have a plant to overlock to 3.7 ghz, but only when I completely set up 2 more water blocks for chip set and Pwm, then i will do it.

I just want to post some pics, but the forum policy do not let me do that.
You can post pics. You add them as attachments.
Not sure if you have to have a certain number of posts before you have this option or not. Just look at the bottom and if you see Manage attachments you can.
Btw, welcome to tha AOA forums Mjhieu! These are a good bunch here & are very knowledgeable about everything having to do with computers...
Attached Thumbnails
Real 20% Overclock continued...-image-0.jpg  

Last edited by MUff1N; 3rd April, 2008 at 07:01 PM.