AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Intel Motherboards & CPUs

Intel Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on INTEL products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 4th April, 2008, 07:16 PM

Burn in Period & OC Stability?

Since I've been overclocking my system for 10 months now I was wondering if there's a correlation between CPU burnin period and stability.

Before I needed 1.3375 vcore for a stable 3.34Ghz OC.
Now it seems that all that's needed is 1.3250v (what normally was used for 3.2Ghz OC) for my system to be stable.

I decided to test my systems stability at the lower vcore just to see and I was surprised that it was now stable where as before it would throw up a red flag seconds into testing with errors...hmmm
Thoughts???

EVGA GTX 470 SC 37% OC (855/1710/2004) 160.5Gbs
3DMark Vantage: P24352
3DMark 11: P5119

Last edited by MUff1N; 4th April, 2008 at 07:46 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 4th April, 2008, 07:20 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

There is some anecdotal evidence to suggest that there actually is a sort of 'burn-in' phenomenon that occurs with chips. It seems that if you crank them right up to their limits from the outset, you can sort of 'stretch' them out as they age.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 4th April, 2008, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmo View Post
you can sort of 'stretch' them out as they age.
I gather what you mean by this is that the processor will be more forgiving (tolerant) on vcore settings and frequencies?
Kinda like the breakin period of a new car engine....

Last edited by MUff1N; 4th April, 2008 at 07:47 PM.
Old 4th April, 2008, 07:58 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Interestingly, Electrical Engineers insist that what enthusiasts call 'burning in" a processor does not work. OCer's say it works. I know more of them than EE's!
Old 4th April, 2008, 08:16 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Interestingly (being of an EE persuasion) I insisted that 'burning in' a processor did not work. Then I got into overclocking, and began seeing real anecdotal evidence that it does work. Not just some n00b saying that he had 'burned in' his CPU, but people whos abilities I know and respect.

It's kinda changed my opinion, ya know?

Last edited by Gizmo; 4th April, 2008 at 08:16 PM.
Old 4th April, 2008, 09:03 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

"Sometimes the magic works, some times it doesn't.":O}
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Old 4th April, 2008, 09:20 PM

One thing I am sure of...
I got a good processor (batch) that seems to do just about anything I want to with it.
Providing I keep the heat under control.

Also something else I found to be interesting...
At first when going to higher frequencies I could not do it at all with EIST & C1E enabled no matter what vcore I used!!!
Once I disabled them everything was wonderful..

Now, I have EIST & C1E re-enabled (for heat control & power consumption) and those same frequencies and voltages work just fine and are stable...hmmm....

Last edited by MUff1N; 4th April, 2008 at 09:23 PM.
Old 5th April, 2008, 01:29 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Sometimes an "anecdotal" in the hand is worth more than an orthodoxy in the bush as long as you ground yourself first and don't touch the pins or the ball grid array.
Old 5th April, 2008, 03:54 PM

I have had one CPU that responded to overvolting and allowed a little better clock over time. I have a couple that responded to undervolting at stock speeds and pushing as far as I can with around 1.2 volts, then leave it for a few days and try to push a little farther.

Usually what I find is that is in correlation to the type of TIM I'm using, after a while the TIM will settle and remove a couple of hot-spots, then I can drop voltage.
Old 7th April, 2008, 07:25 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Push, push, push. Don't you guys run anything at stock, ever? It's a rhetorical question, please see the name of this Web site.

Last edited by cloasters; 7th April, 2008 at 07:29 PM.
Old 7th April, 2008, 07:32 PM
Steve Jobs

Yea, my AS5 bodge job seams to have settled alot, previously was like 50C loaded, now 38C loaded. I think because I spread it thickly there were heaps of air pockets in that.

My 6800GT experienced the reverse: initially it hit 455Mhz with a UE bios, then it got unstable and would only do 440, then 425, then 410, then 380, then stock. Temps remained constant, and HSF was regularly cleaned.
Running Fedora 15 Linux (GNOME 3)
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Drivers, Games, Demos, Mods and Overclocking Tools At AOAFiles