AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Intel Motherboards & CPUs

Intel Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on INTEL products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 12th April, 2008, 03:38 AM

help overclocking E6750 on my ASUS P5N-E SLI mobo

hi all...i need help on overclocking my cpu.
here are my system specs:

asus p5n-e sli
intel core 2 dup e6750
crucial ballistix tracer pc2-6400
zalman 9700 cpu fan.

ps: i have the 0703 version of the BIOS.
i would like to overclock to around 3ghx to 3.2ghx nothing too much because i would like my cpu temperature to remain low...at the moment on stock settings @2.66ghz its running at around 30 c idle and 39 on load.

also as i have overclockable memory could you please advise as to how i would overclock that to more than its stock speed (800mhz)?

thanks people...

Last edited by emirates; 12th April, 2008 at 03:41 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12th April, 2008, 04:08 AM

Send a message via MSN to Samuknow

Welcome to AOA.

Cliff will be along soon to help you out.

You should be able to run at that speed at stock voltage. That will help keep it cool. If you keep it linked you should be able to OC the memory also.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12th April, 2008, 05:42 AM

Bear with me as I will be working from memory, it's been a few months since I had my P5N32 running.

3.2 should be easy enough on stock or near stock voltage. For the most part all voltages except for the memory will be able to remain at stock as well.

At first disable Spread Spectrum Controls, CPU Internal Thermal Control, Limit CPUID MaxVal Enhanced C1 (C1E), Execute Disable Bit, Virtualization Technology & Enhanced Intel SpeedStep

Asus does a pretty good job with secondary memory timings while left on auto, so just set the first 4 (tcl, trcd, trp & tras) to manufactuers specs, also set voltage to recommended.

Set FSB-Memory Clock mode to linked
Set FSB-Memory Ratio to sync mode for now (we'll get back to clocking the memory later after you get a feel for the board.

Start pushing the FSB (QDR) up from 1333 about 20 at a time, For the first couple of hundred I just make sure it boots the OS, after that I will run 20 minutes of prime95 beta 25.5. When you reach your goal of 1600 give it a couple hours of prime. If it fails within a minute raise CPU voltage and test again. If it does it again raise memory voltage. If it fails on the switch from one set of tests to another it is usually memory related.

Try to keep the FSB - Memory linked, while it usually doesn't create any problems for me below 425FSB it gets a little hinky after that so I don't rely on it being much better over the long run.
Once you get this far let me know and we will move on to the memory side of things.
Old 12th April, 2008, 07:48 PM

Hey emirates, welcome to the AOA forum!
From my testing with memory and overclocking it at the speeds you are going to be at, (3Ghz to 3.2Ghz) there really wasn't all that much gain in throughput as far as FPS in gameplay with my memory overclocked to 960Mhz. This gave me over 15,000mbs but my FSB throughput was only at 10,000mbs. So it's not going to go any faster than the FSB can push through regardless of how fast your memory is going...
This is why I lowered my memory divider to 4:5 (667Mhz) using a 1066FSB strap to keep the chipset timings tight then raised my FSB up higher for more memory throughput.
But you can test this out for yourself doing testing & if you think your system runs better with the memory overclocked do it...but I found no benefit for gaming.

NOTE:
I did notice a BIG jump in game FPS from 3.2Ghz to 3.34Ghz by 20 FPS in Crysis!!!
Just thought I'd let you know what my results were.
That's why I'm running my system the way it is now instead of overclocking my memory too.

EVGA GTX 470 SC 37% OC (855/1710/2004) 160.5Gbs
3DMark Vantage: P24352
3DMark 11: P5119

Last edited by MUff1N; 13th April, 2008 at 09:32 PM.

Tags
overclocking