AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Intel Motherboards & CPUs

Intel Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on INTEL products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 15th April, 2008, 03:00 AM

WOOP WOOP!!! Thank you MUff1N! Your link to that guide was just what I needed. I successfully flashed it back to 0801. Let the overclocking begin (crossing my fingers that that was the only thing wrong haha). I'll post my results once I'm done. Who knows, maybe I'll be back complaining again haha. Thanks again!

Last edited by steve096; 15th April, 2008 at 03:00 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 15th April, 2008, 03:02 AM

Cool, I'm glad someone had the answer, thanks from me as well Muff1N. I have added that link to my "Good things to know" folder.
Old 15th April, 2008, 03:35 AM

Wow. Just... wow. I cant even believe this. I have the comp flashed back to the same bios I had it on and it STILL wont work at the settings I used to have it at. I guess I'm going to have to turn to the worst possible reason of it not working, that I damaged a part somehow. When I try redoing the OC, I can get it to post, boot, and survive at 1450 mhz for the cpu and 800 for the ram, but when I try going to 1475, it freezes after 30 seconds of prime 95, 1500 and it doesnt even make it to the desktop. I have the ram at stock timings (5-5-5-12-2t) and voltages at auto. Am I doing something wrong? Did I damage something? I'm going to play around with some more settings while I wait for some insight. Voltages mostly. Wish me luck
Old 15th April, 2008, 03:53 AM

Are you clearing the CMOS after the bios flash? Give it a 10 minute clear with the PSU turned off.
Old 15th April, 2008, 04:02 AM

Also not sure if that board has it or not but, do not load any saved OC's after a bios flash
Old 15th April, 2008, 05:09 AM

The P5N-E has this thing called CPR (CPU Parameter Recall), which removes the need to clear the CMOS after a failed OC. If the system hangs during rebooting due to OCing, after the next reboot it automatically loads all default settings for the BIOS. This has always worked for me, but I tried manually jumping the CMOS anyway and still had no luck.
Old 15th April, 2008, 06:24 AM

Arrow

Well Crap!!! I did something good only to still have failed results in the end...

This is what "I" would do next...
Disconnect everything that you did "New" in the system to eliminate that from your testing and overclocking as being any of the problem.
Then if all is well again you'll then know it has something to do with the new stuff you added to the system...if not, then it's something else...

Sorry flashing the bios back didn't fix the problem, but at least now you know how to do it if need be.
We're still try'n here, so don't give up!

I have this gut feeling this has to do with your memory for some reason, but I could be wrong.
Is your memory async with the FSB? or do you have it locked at 800Mhz?

EVGA GTX 470 SC 37% OC (855/1710/2004) 160.5Gbs
3DMark Vantage: P24352
3DMark 11: P5119

Last edited by MUff1N; 15th April, 2008 at 06:34 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 15th April, 2008, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUff1N View Post
Well Crap!!! I did something good only to still have failed results in the end...

This is what "I" would do next...
Disconnect everything that you did "New" in the system to eliminate that from your testing and overclocking as being any of the problem.
Then if all is well again you'll then know it has something to do with the new stuff you added to the system...if not, then it's something else...

Sorry flashing the bios back didn't fix the problem, but at least now you know how to do it if need be.
We're still try'n here, so don't give up!

I have this gut feeling this has to do with your memory for some reason, but I could be wrong.
Is your memory async with the FSB? or do you have it locked at 800Mhz?
It's perfectly alright, this forum so far has been a lot more helpful than the other overclocking forums I've gone to. The thing is, when I was making those last upgrades, I didn't make any hardware changes. The only things I did was install heatsinks on the mosfets, installed kama scythe heatsinks on 2 of my memory sticks, added an extra fan to my system, and installed cold cathodes. I don't think it's a power problem, I have all 9 of my fans hooked up to their own rail and everything else (gpu fan, cathodes, case leds, external thermometer) hooked up to another rail. I've tried my memory in sync mode with the fsb and locked at 800 mhz and neither worked The more times I fail at getting a successful overclock, the more I feel like I damaged a part somehow. I think I'm going to try a few more bios versions even though the one I used to use when everything worked doesnt work anymore. Any other ideas?

Last edited by steve096; 15th April, 2008 at 05:21 PM.
Old 15th April, 2008, 07:28 PM

Lower memory divider aka 667Mhz then up the FSB keeping the memory async with the FSB.
That's all I can think of ATM, but if I think of anything else or a light switches on in my head with something I'll be sure to post...

Last edited by MUff1N; 15th April, 2008 at 07:29 PM.
Old 16th April, 2008, 12:38 AM

I am at a complete and total loss with this. Nothing about this overclock is making sense to me. I lowered the cpu multiplier to 6 and ldt frequency to 1x and the highest I can even get into the OS at is 1500 mhz (which makes the cpu clock lower than stock, 2.25ghz). Anything past that and it either freezes on post or while loading the OS. Even with the multiplier and ldt frequency lowered, I can't ever make it past 1500 mhz. No matter what voltages I go to on either the vcore or northbridge (currently at the second highest setting possible) it fails at anything higher than 1500. I guess I must have damaged something. That is the only conclusion that even makes sense to me right now. Looks like i'm going to be doing some more damage to the bank account
Old 16th April, 2008, 03:06 AM

Sorry to hear that SteveO....

Old 16th April, 2008, 03:45 AM

Yeah, it sucks But oh well. Live and learn. No sense in getting stressed out over it. I didn't think I was being very rough with my MB but I guess I was wrong. This means EXTRA care on the next one.

On a positive note... I picked out my replacements. I'm going to go with a shiny new Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L ( Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3L LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX All Solid Capacitor Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards ) and some OCZ DDR2 1066 ( Newegg.com - OCZ SLI-Ready Edition 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory ) to match the memory capabilities of the new mb. The memory is even on the mb qualified memory vendor list AND comes with an always nice $35.00 mail in rebate. Combined total of $136.98 (with rebate) before shipping which isn't too bad for a new motherboard and memory that are not only replacements but also an upgrade to my old setup. And I'm promising myself that this will be THE LAST upgrade I make for awhile, because I'm planning on upgrading to a nehalem, DDR3, and one of whatever the next generation of nvidia cards are once all 3 of them are out and at a reasonable price. I'm fairly certain that the motherboard is the problem, so I'm gonna try to sell the memory on ebay or maybe on an OCing forum (I'll check to make certain that the memory is fine first though). I just got a raise at my job anyway so I guess that will help offset the cost well enough. Thanks to everyone that tried to help me anyways. It was enough to convince me to stick around here, so I'll be around. I'll let you guys know what I get up to with the new setup (I'm hoping to get to 3.4 on the processor and who knows what with the memory). Thanks again everyone
Old 16th April, 2008, 03:58 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Hope your new m'board and DIMMS serve you well!
Old 16th April, 2008, 09:41 PM

If it wasn't for my CPU cooler, I'd easily be able to hit 3.6-3.7Ghz....
I've already clock it as high as 3.46Ghz (30% OC) but wasn't comfortable with the load temps being at 138F on Orthos.
CPU-Z Validator 2.1

But yea, come on back and these guys will get your system screaming fast!

Old 23rd April, 2008, 01:48 PM

Steve096,try this,it worked on my Asus P5N 32E sli.
http://dlsvr01.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/...sUpdt61002.zip
Download that bios update tool,its Windows based,but in there is an option to downgrade the bios.
No other options worked for me but this,tried them all,this was the only way.
Just a side note,my Asus 680i died on me a few weeks ago after me struggling for just over a here with similar issues like urs,at first it was stable,overclocked like mad,then it got harder and harder to maintain a decent oc.I am not bashing your mb,just saying that 6 Series boards seem to problematic world wide,but I could be wrong or it could just be my experience making me say this.
I have replaced the P5N 32E with an Asus P5E,what a difference.
I to thought it was some other hardware issue,but in the end the mb was just flaky,hope you have better luck than me.
cheers.
Old 23rd April, 2008, 01:56 PM

Sorry,didnt see the earlier posts that you got your bios down graded and everything else,my internet has been acting up of late,doing weird things,anyways,good luck with the new board.