AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Intel Motherboards & CPUs

Intel Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on INTEL products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 12th May, 2008, 05:50 PM

Went too far

Well it happened, It looks like i went too far. I had been pushing my 3.2ghz Prescott and ECS p4m900t-m all week. A little at a time then running 2 instances of prime 95 for a few hours while looking at the graph on speed fan then running 3dmark03 to see if there was an improvement. I have also been intermittantly checking out GPU OC settings to try to maximixe my 3dmark score. well last night it hung on 3dmark. so i rebooted didabled the oc setting, returned the memory speed and the voltage to auto, hit F10 to save and restart and .....no restart. it does not post now. It looks like it is in a loop where it powers on and gives power to the drives but no beep and nothing on the screen and then it pauses and does it again.
So at this point do i do the clear cmos jumper and give it power and then take the jumper off and it works again? Or does it sound more expensive than that?

E8400 @ 3.92 / ASUS P5Q SE/R / MSI 8800GT / OCZ DDR2 1066 / VelociRaptor 150G

P4 3.2 Prescott running at 3.45 / 2G ram / 8800GT / 3dmark03 31345

Alienware 7700 Laptop P4 HT 2.4ghz 1G ram 17"screen

HTPC Silverstone Case / A64 3200 / 2G ram / 7900GTX / Hauppauge PVR250 / Thermaltake Big TyphoonHSF

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12th May, 2008, 06:46 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Try clearing the CMOS. You may have to pull the battery, too.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12th May, 2008, 06:50 PM

Send a message via MSN to Samuknow

Do you see anything on the screen?
Old 12th May, 2008, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuknow View Post
Do you see anything on the screen?
nope, the screen stays black the whole time. and there is no beep.

HTPC Silverstone Case / A64 3200 / 2G ram / 7900GTX / Hauppauge PVR250 / Thermaltake Big TyphoonHSF

AOA Team fah
Old 12th May, 2008, 09:07 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Are the HD drives ticking away like during boot, are your fans running? Maybe the Video card...? Sorry re-read your post...I'm sitting on the same nickel myself.
Waiting on a friends Video card to diagnose weather it's the mother board or the Video card that's checked out on me. Have you a spare video card you can try to boot with?
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Last edited by Daniel ~; 12th May, 2008 at 09:10 PM.
Old 12th May, 2008, 09:34 PM

There is power going to the drives.
and the screen switches from the "no input" to black. So some signal is getting to the monitor. (a dark force)

I do have another video card though.

So I will try the clear cmos thing and then switch cards.

AOA Team fah
Old 12th May, 2008, 09:36 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

The short path to knowledge! ":O}
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Old 12th May, 2008, 10:00 PM

Unfortunately it is the board or the video. If you pull the card out, does it act exactly the same. The memory? The CPU?
Old 13th May, 2008, 01:39 PM

Not familiar with that motherboard... Did you have a config setting to force it into the bios?
Old 13th May, 2008, 03:56 PM

Good News!
I used the clear cmos jumper and it did the trick.
I reset the defaults and ran 3dmark twice, which is what it was doing when it froze up in the first place, and it seems good to go.

I was looking at the default settings in cpuZ and i noticed that the default memory ratio is 3:5. I thought I read somewhere that 1:1 is the optimum ratio. Which leads me to wonder why it would default to 3:5.
Am I mixed up about this?

AOA Team fah
Old 13th May, 2008, 04:22 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Well done Bob! ":O}

(I've always run 1:1 as this seems the best for my overclocking... not sure what defult should be...Guys?
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Old 13th May, 2008, 07:01 PM

Arrow

From what I've read all over the place, is the reason 1:1 is used is so that you can get your highest FSB clock speeds without the memory coming into play (for stability) because of the lower divider (frequency) used.

Now, IF I had a better CPU cooler and was going to go up to 3.6Ghz or higher I'd use a lower memory divider so that my memory wouldn't be so overclocked that it couldn't keep up anymore.
This is the reason I now have my memory at 4:5 (667) to keep it around 800Mhz which it is designed to run at and is stable, not to mention I found no benefit (added throughput) to overclocking my memory to 960Mhz. But I did notice much better throughput once my FSB went up & my games played much smoother.
That's my take on it anyways...Correct me if I'm wrong though guys! hehe

Btw, just so I could see I did a little experiment & I put my system back to default and played some of my games at their current "high" settings to visually see if there was any noticeable difference...
OMG!!! Jerky, lag and slow to catch up in places with stops and starts... What a diff without the added throughput!!!

EVGA GTX 470 SC 37% OC (855/1710/2004) 160.5Gbs
3DMark Vantage: P24352
3DMark 11: P5119

Last edited by MUff1N; 13th May, 2008 at 07:20 PM.
Old 13th May, 2008, 07:43 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Generally speaking, the AMD Athlon and AthlonXP cores perform better when running 1:1. I believe this is due to the way the internal caching is implemented. The upshot is that lower FSB running 1:1 (synchronous) can net you better memory performance than higher FSB running 5:4 (asynchronous) or something like that.

With the Intel P4 family, the caching mechanism works differently, and is less sensitive to memory latency, preferring higher FSB clocks. This is directly opposite the case with the AMD Athlon and AthlonXP cores.

Intels Core family CPUs have continued this trend from what I understand, and thus continue to perform better with high FSB, even at some sacrifice of memory latency. However, with the advent of the AMD Athlon64 and its integrated memory controller, the AMD architecture is no longer so sensitive to memory latency, and thus tends to now also favor higher bus speeds (though in this case it would HT clocks, rather than FSB clocks).

Hope that helps.
Old 14th May, 2008, 03:40 AM

I have tested with mem at stock and OC also. I saw no diff. It loves the high FSB as Gizmo stated.