AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Intel Motherboards & CPUs

Intel Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on INTEL products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 27th May, 2008, 07:30 PM

Question I just got to know!

I was doing my usual window shopping on PriceWatch and came across this.
SUPERMICRO P4SCT+II I was curious to see what a mobo was that cost $265. Well, the specs aren't much and that confused me. I Googled it and shazzam! $2,700!
SUPERMICRO SUPER P4SCT+II (MBD-P4SCT+II-B) - Motherboards

Can anybody tell what that is all about? It's beyond crazy.

1ST * Asus M5A99FX Pro r 2.0 *AMD FX 8350 Black Edition *Cooler Master MasterLiquid 240 CPU Cooler * Crucial 16g DDR3 * MSI Geforce GTX 1050 * Antec 650w* Thermaltake V9 Case
2nd Asus M5A99fx Pro R2.0 Mainboard *AMD FX 4300 Black edition * l6g Crutial DDR3 * Evga Geforce Gt 730 * Coolermaster Dual fan HSF * 500w Thermaltake PSU * 320g western digital HDD

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 27th May, 2008, 07:45 PM

Supermicro is a server/mission critical manufactuer for the most part, although they do make some home computing boards as well. The quality and service of their products are second to none and that is where the cost comes into play.
Old 27th May, 2008, 08:02 PM

Ok

Ok, they use the highest quality components,a person will answer the phone 24/7, techs will come to your door in tuxedeos if some thing goes wrong. All fine. Where does $2700 come to play?

1ST * Asus M5A99FX Pro r 2.0 *AMD FX 8350 Black Edition *Cooler Master MasterLiquid 240 CPU Cooler * Crucial 16g DDR3 * MSI Geforce GTX 1050 * Antec 650w* Thermaltake V9 Case
2nd Asus M5A99fx Pro R2.0 Mainboard *AMD FX 4300 Black edition * l6g Crutial DDR3 * Evga Geforce Gt 730 * Coolermaster Dual fan HSF * 500w Thermaltake PSU * 320g western digital HDD

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 27th May, 2008, 08:14 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

If you look, the $2700 link is for a 10 pk. 10 boards, not 1.
Old 27th May, 2008, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmo View Post
If you look, the $2700 link is for a 10 pk. 10 boards, not 1.
Opps! I guess i did it agian.

Old 27th May, 2008, 11:09 PM
AOA's resident barman

Send a message via ICQ to Favu Send a message via AIM to Favu Send a message via MSN to Favu

Attached Thumbnails
I just got to know!-1209843239849.jpg  

Custom 8-bit Sharp Z80 @ 4.194304 MHz
Reflective LCD @ 160 × 144
8 kByte S-RAM

Old 28th May, 2008, 03:23 AM

Send a message via MSN to Samuknow

It is not uncommon for a high end board to run over 250 dollars. The 680i board I have now was 260 at it's debut.
Old 28th May, 2008, 04:18 AM
Member/Contributer

Well this: ::Tyan Computer Corporation:: System Boards detail is still being sold in New Zealand for a paltry $3300
It has been archived at the tyan website

Corsair AX650
Asus P8H77-M PRO
i7 3770 (non K series)
- Noctua NH-L12 Low Profile CPU Cooler
2x8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X
Sapphire 7970
2 x SanDisk Extreme 120GB RAID 0
Western Digital Green 3TB
Asus Xonar Essence STX
TP Link TL-WN881ND
Fractal Design Arc Mini
- 2x Noctua NF-P12 120mm, 2x Noctua NF-P14 FLX 140mm, NZXT Sentry 2 LCD Fan Controller
Asus ML249H
Old 28th May, 2008, 07:36 AM

That's a motherboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by noob View Post
Well this: ::Tyan Computer Corporation:: System Boards detail is still being sold in New Zealand for a paltry $3300
It has been archived at the tyan website
I don't know about $3300 but damn-that thing is impressive! 4 dual core cpu's! Damn!
I've never poked my head into the realm of servers so seeing the specs on that board was surpriseing. Whew!

Old 29th May, 2008, 03:01 AM
Member/Contributer

not good for overclocking, but designed around stability.

Due to demands, they can have multiple processors (similar to the skulltrail) many more banks of RAM. The flipside, is they often use registered EEC RAM, and use PCIx instead of PCIe or PCI slots.

Corsair AX650
Asus P8H77-M PRO
i7 3770 (non K series)
2x8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X
Sapphire 7970
Asus Xonar Essence STX
TP Link TL-WN881ND
Fractal Design Arc Mini
- 2x Noctua NF-P12 120mm, 2x Noctua NF-P14 FLX 140mm, NZXT Sentry 2 LCD Fan Controller
Asus ML249H
Old 29th May, 2008, 04:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noob View Post
not good for overclocking, but designed around stability.

Due to demands, they can have multiple processors (similar to the skulltrail) many more banks of RAM. The flipside, is they often use registered EEC RAM, and use PCIx instead of PCIe or PCI slots.
This may be a dumb question-probably is but it goes back to my original thoughts when I saw the price of the thing.

Wouldn't it be less expensive-and every bit as reliable, probably more so, to build what would basically be two high end consumer machines with some changes? Two machines and piggy back them? Instead of one machine that costs so damn much moolah. (I won't even guess what a machine costs if the mobo is $3,300!)
That makes perfect sense to me!
But logic tells me there is a flaw in there somewhere or makers of $3,300 mobos would be making tractor parts in Nebraska.

Old 29th May, 2008, 05:28 AM

It all comes down to the purpose of the machine. I run my business on a tyan board with an LSI card handling storage, always have, always will. My business keeps a roof over my head and food on the table. Not something I care to take chances with. My last system based on a tyan board ran for 8 years, outside of a single scsi drive failure, which was backed up by RAID1, the rig never gave me an issue, and is serving someone elses needs today.

Value is different among people, some see price, some see quality. I get paid very well for what I do so I would rather spend my time doing what I do best than getting a rig back online..
Old 29th May, 2008, 05:54 AM

Point taken.
i think this one can go to bed.

Last edited by PorPorMe; 29th May, 2008 at 05:59 AM. Reason: Ending
Old 29th May, 2008, 01:45 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorPorMe View Post
Wouldn't it be less expensive-and every bit as reliable, probably more so, to build what would basically be two high end consumer machines with some changes? Two machines and piggy back them?
Ever tried to build a redundant cluster of machines? For just two systems, you can build two separate computers, but then you hook them both up to the same set of hard disks. This isn't unusual with databases (although, have you ever purchased external drive racks with their own RAID controllers?)

Alternatively, you have multiple machines and synchronise state between all the systems to ensure that the failure of one machine doesn't have an impact. This is often done with web servers, as you can also implement load balancing.

The advantage of these systems is that failure of one component doesn't stop the rest of the system from operating. For example, one project I was involved in required the design and building of a redundant web infrastructure. This infrastructure was a typical 3 tier (webserver, application server, database), with two firewalls between each tier, and two load balancers in front of the web servers. There were four webservers, two application servers, and a clustered database (two computers sharing the same RAID array), together with multiple switches (two for each tier) and two internet feeds.

To test that the system was really redundant, we had some people browse the website whilst we physically disconnected the power to half of the equipment at the same time. (That was fairly easy to do, as the equipment occupied three racks - we just powered down 1.5 racks of kit). Yes, the failover stuff worked fine - the site continued to operate with no noticeable impact for the people browsing the web site.
Old 29th May, 2008, 03:38 PM

I have to figure that you've gone throug ar least part of this thread and that means that your questions are retoricle.

To add salt to the wound, I understood what you said about as well as I understood Tolstoy in high school!

That's ok. Don't you feel bad. We who are network deficient, those of us that don't know an IP addy from a subnet mask, we are used to it.

" How come someone is allways picken on me?"

CBrown

Last edited by PorPorMe; 29th May, 2008 at 03:45 PM. Reason: link redirect
Old 29th May, 2008, 03:55 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

I suppose what I was really trying to say is that it's never quite as simple in practice as it seems in theory. There is a reason why people charge more for server motherboards (ECC is one reason - it can correct errors that may occur in RAM), compared to consumer boards.
Old 29th May, 2008, 04:13 PM

Yea, it usually is. ccperf721p said pretty much the same thing, slightly different angle.
Lets put a fork in it-this one is dead.

OOPS: at least for me.

Old 30th May, 2008, 05:28 AM
Member/Contributer

An easy way to look at it is like this:

How long is your machine on, how much of the system is used, and how much money do you lose if it goes down for a few hours? - discounting Folding.

Now how much would you pay for a MB that is reliable for 3+ years, giving problems in less that 0.01% of boards manufactured, fully supported for 3 years, and can be utilised to 100% for that 3+ years without the issues that would plague consumer boards?

In an environment that stands to lose millions of dollars an hour that the service is down.

Corsair AX650
Asus P8H77-M PRO
i7 3770 (non K series)
2x8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X
Sapphire 7970
Asus Xonar Essence STX
TP Link TL-WN881ND
Fractal Design Arc Mini
Asus ML249H