AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Intel Motherboards & CPUs

Intel Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on INTEL products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 2nd June, 2008, 03:41 PM

CPU comparison

I'm confused about the difference in duel core processors.
I compare the Pentium D duel core and the Core 2 Duo CPU's and there specs "seem" similar. I admit I don't know how to interpret some of the specs. I also see that most people here run the Core 2 if possible.
Deciding on a CPU for my upgrade-the Pentium D's are less expensive. Major factor.
I compare the E4700 & Pentium D 950 and the E4700's clock speed is 2.60Ghz and the D is 3.40Ghz. There are a few other differences (Greek to me) but the Core 2 is approx $40 more.
Could someone explain the difference to me?

1ST * Asus M5A99FX Pro r 2.0 *AMD FX 8350 Black Edition *Cooler Master MasterLiquid 240 CPU Cooler * Crucial 16g DDR3 * MSI Geforce GTX 1050 * Antec 650w* Thermaltake V9 Case
2nd Asus M5A99fx Pro R2.0 Mainboard *AMD FX 4300 Black edition * l6g Crutial DDR3 * Evga Geforce Gt 730 * Coolermaster Dual fan HSF * 500w Thermaltake PSU * 320g western digital HDD

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 2nd June, 2008, 04:10 PM

The core2 architecture is much faster than the older netburst (p4 P4d etc). The E4700 even with it's lower clock speed will do more work than the 950. The extra $40 would be well spent.

Make sure your board supports a C2D before making the purchase.
Old 2nd June, 2008, 05:57 PM

I knew there had to be something I was missing. The new mobo will be the ASRock 4CoreDual-SATA2 Core 2 Duo and it supports the Core 2 Extreme & below so CPU choice is wide open-finances being factored, in of course!
Thanks for the info

1ST * Asus M5A99FX Pro r 2.0 *AMD FX 8350 Black Edition *Cooler Master MasterLiquid 240 CPU Cooler * Crucial 16g DDR3 * MSI Geforce GTX 1050 * Antec 650w* Thermaltake V9 Case
2nd Asus M5A99fx Pro R2.0 Mainboard *AMD FX 4300 Black edition * l6g Crutial DDR3 * Evga Geforce Gt 730 * Coolermaster Dual fan HSF * 500w Thermaltake PSU * 320g western digital HDD

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 3rd June, 2008, 02:32 AM

Any particular reason for the Asrock board, other than budget constraints?

I believe I read that you no longer overclock, but don't count out the overclocking boards just for that reason. Most are built with better components which can lead to a longer happier life.

Give us a budget and list of needed components to peruse over. A lot of us have gone through some parts and have found some pretty good bang for the buck components.
Old 3rd June, 2008, 07:32 AM

I'd listen to CC...he knows what he's talkin about when it comes to HW...

EVGA GTX 470 SC 37% OC (855/1710/2004) 160.5Gbs
3DMark Vantage: P24352
3DMark 11: P5119
Old 3rd June, 2008, 10:11 AM

If I go low end-approx $200. That will get me motherboard, Pentium D dual core cpu, 1gb memory, decent HSF, 5.1 logitech speakers, and mabe a low end 400w PSU.
Higher end: approx $300/$350-and I might be able to pull this off IF I sell my present rig. Same motherboard, core2 cpu, 2gb memory,high end HSF, sata HDD, good 450/500w PSU, same speakers, and a case to put it in.

I didn't choose the ASRock because of price. If I could find a higher end motherboard with same setup-I'd take a good look at that, at double the price. AS a budget board though, it got some pretty good reviews.
AnandTech: ASRock 4CoreDual-SATA2: Sneak Peek

Bottom line is that it is the only motherboard that had all the options I was looking for:
ATX
Will support up to Core 2 Extreme- for possible future upgrade
AGP- I'm not about to scrap a $200 Video card! and have to buy a $200 PCIe card as well.
7.1 channel sound-would be happy w/5.1 but most AGP
boards don't offer even that.
2 ATA channels-most are only offering 1 now.
Even though I hope to buy a SATA HDD to, I still need more than 2 ATA devices and I don't want an ATA card unless I have to.
I found a few that came close but when you through in AGP, the motherboard options start to get pretty slim.

That's pretty much it. If you could tell me of higher quality board w/those options-I would take a serious look at it. I know I couldn't find one.

Last edited by PorPorMe; 3rd June, 2008 at 10:32 AM. Reason: To answer question asked!
Old 3rd June, 2008, 01:46 PM

Duel and Dual...

Hey mister PorPor...

The duel vs dual has got to be confusing you in the first place... Dual core means 2 cores... Duel means they shoot each other or puncture each other with rapiers...
Old 3rd June, 2008, 01:51 PM

Yikees... A 400 watt power supply??? Do you have some hampsters stuck to that thing?

I would recommend anything under a 500-600 watt... There isn't much room there and if you start adding USB devices, the watts add up. Put that all under strain and get a power problem... BANG. You machine has been perforated... (I speak from experience).

There are quite a few power calculators out there on the web that should give you can idea what you need, but I would recommend getting the higher wattage capacity rather than skimping there...

The higher watt power supply doesn't equate to high consumption... It is related to total capacity.
Old 3rd June, 2008, 01:59 PM

Well, well the south is heard from. y'all still haven them there duels down that a way? A rapier might be a good choice but, well I don't know but maybe that core wouldn't be such a good idea. up to you.
Good luck!

P.S. I spell ckd this one!!

Old 3rd June, 2008, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by richvanrooyen View Post
Yikees... A 400 watt power supply??? Do you have some hampsters stuck to that thing?

I would recommend anything under a 500-600 watt... There isn't much room there and if you start adding USB devices, the watts add up. Put that all under strain and get a power problem... BANG. You machine has been perforated... (I speak from experience).

There are quite a few power calculators out there on the web that should give you can idea what you need, but I would recommend getting the higher wattage capacity rather than skimping there...

The higher watt power supply doesn't equate to high consumption... It is related to total capacity.
Sorry, I should have been a little bit clearer. that was just rough because I haven't done the the power calculateing yet. I won't do that untill everything is solid and I'm about to order stuff.

But, I've learned that size isn't the end all- be all, that is usually discussed. I did a lot of looking when I built this system ( and, for me, price is allways a big factor. I just don't have the money.)
This system has been running just fine for over 5yrs without a hiccup- on a PowerMax 350w PSU. It's got everthing but the microwave hooked to it. 4 USB full time and sometimes 1 or 2 more. I looked hard to get a quality PSU for the least cost.
Anyway, I haven't done that research yet, but nothing has bothered this 350w and I expect that a quality 400w or 450w will do just fine.

Old 3rd June, 2008, 03:38 PM

The board is set. Only one that has the features you need so there isn't anything better.

The E2180 would be a better CPU choice than the PD950, within 2 or 3% performance wise, and if overclocked just a little would start to walk away from the 950. It would run cooler, draw less power and you could actually get away with the factory HSF with that CPU.

As long as you stay with a decent manufacturer you will be alright with the memory. Stay away from companies like all-components and stuff like that. DDR2-667 is all you need for your setup.

Looks like you will be going second hand for some of the stuff. I just don't see any way to keep it at 200, the board, cpu and memory will pretty much wrap up the budget. Scour the forum classified and stick up a wanted post to see what's available.
Old 3rd June, 2008, 04:00 PM

Thanks for the input. I had it @ $220 something if I kept my unit and install into it. w/ 940. Selling mine increases price by approx $100 of the top but I don't have the budget constraints I do if I keep mine. I can go with a core2 and other higher end components. (wanted to turn mine into a folding machine-we will see. Mr. Bush's tax gift should be here in about 2wks-need to decide quick!)

I've posted for components for a folding machine. I got one responce there that didn't work out. I started to scrounge what i could around town-might get an athlon 850 up. I have computers & parts all over my living room (mostly clunkers) My wife is finding a new boyfriend.
other threads mentioned I could use pts for my own upgrade. nothing so far. Just bought a 1gb 667 ddr2- I'm on a roll!

Last edited by PorPorMe; 3rd June, 2008 at 04:11 PM. Reason: addition
Old 3rd June, 2008, 04:28 PM
Irreverent Query Chairman

Take a look at my signature. See Nos. 6-40? 3 Ghz D's with AsRock 4CoreDual-Sata2 MB's. Bought them for a song in quantity for my internet shops. Bottom line? They aren't good for much more than browsing.

I know that budget is always a factor, but I would NEVER buy this board or any like it again, even for the shops. For $40-$75 more, you can get a heck of a lot better, on many levels.

The Pentium D's run HOT HOT HOT. And they use a staggering amount of power, even when compared to Q6600s and the like. Get ready for a power bill if you are going to be folding or anything that keeps 'em running 24/7.

Don't mean to rain on your parade, but it's just my 2 cents.
#1: Tt Armor, ASUS Maximus Extreme, QX9650@4.1G, 8G Corsair Dominator GT DDR3-2000, Corsair HX1050, H2O-Swiftech, Gigabyte GTX470/Arctic Accelero Xtreme Plus II, Intel 520 SSD, Kingston SSD, 2xRaptor 150G RAID0, Win 7 Pro 64
#2: Tt Shark, ASUS P5Q Pro Turbo, Q6600@3.8G, 4G HyperX-1600, Corsair HX850, CoolerMaster V10, 2xASUS 9600GT, 2xRaptor 74G RAID0, OCZ Vertex 4 SSD, Gentoo/siduction Linux [64-bit]
#3, #4: Opteron 170@2.75G nude, A8N-SLI Deluxe, Gentoo

AOA Folding @HomeOur sister site: www.gamersonlinux.com
Old 3rd June, 2008, 06:12 PM

Right from the top-I don't doubt what you are saying,at all, from your experience.
I don't have any experience with the ASRock at all, I have to base my judgment on what others, like you, have to say.

This review is one of them:

AnandTech: ASRock 4CoreDual-SATA2: Sneak Peek

Price is not the big factor in picking the ASRock. It's the ONLY motherboard I could find with the options I wanted. Put that together with that kind of review and the price, my judgment says do it. To be fair, I didn't find any other site that reviewed the board & I read some personal experiences that weren't very good (mostly concerning Vista),
I think this motherboard will do for me. My best judgment

If possible, I will go with the core2, may not be possible, and you got your wires crossed. This is my upgrade, not a folding rig or anything running 24/7.
My athlon XP 2400 was going over to those duties but I believe I'll peddle it so I can get the core2 and other things I couldn't afford if I keep the 'Ole girl. Went with my best judgment when I built her and she has been a sweet little lady over the yrs. I sure don't want to sell her. We've grown attached.

Old 3rd June, 2008, 07:38 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Anand's review says it's a good budget board, my only complaint with it is that it features a Via chipset, which means that you must install the drivers for the chipset and driver for your Vidcard very carefully. If you're content with "stock" performance or quite mild overclocking, there's nothing wrong with this board. I've only bought and installed one Asrock(for an AMD rig) m'board, it's chugging along faithfully after eighteen months.

It bites that decent components cost decent bucks. Honestly, begrudging yourself a GOOD quality power supply with more than sufficient capacity is a BAD way to go. A PSU that can't handle the strain of all that amperage can destroy every component in a PC. If buying all of your new components leaves too little money for a good power supply--wait until you can afford to buy a good, capable PSU before firing up your new box. Nobody said it would be easy, I wish life wsn't like that sometimes!
Old 3rd June, 2008, 10:25 PM

Everyone has there own experiences to draw on and that is how they form the opinions they do. And, for the most part, they are good, honest opinions. The big bug in the ointment is that most of them are right!
One says don't scrimp on the power supply, spend the extra. (notice who's first in this) #2 says don't scrimp on the motherboard, spend the extra. #3 says CPU-#4 says memory, Jada, yada, and everyone of them is right!
But in the real world, it's also impossible. (for me, any how) so I make compromises that I would prefer not to make.
The good news is that by selling my rig, I won't have to make any relay hard choices. A good PSU will be one I won't have to decide about with price being high on the decision ladder. CPU will be a core2, Motherboard is the same, of course. Memory will be the same, mid-level ddr2 667, and would never have gone OEM HSF. Nothing over the top but I'm leaning to wards a heat pipe design with horizontal air flow. like you said, it's not relay needed-I'd just feel better!
if Over clockers Team 32 picks my name out of the hat-lets just say the the equation would change again!
Anyway, many thanks to everyone who has taken the time and interest in order to voice thoughts and opinions. Don't stop!
Nothing is set in stone yet, but the motherboard & speaker system are close to it.
Will start to make mine ready for sale. Need to swap a Hdd & then do a clean install of every thing.
Here she is, in all her glory:

Specs:
Athlon Xp 2400+
Epox 8k5a2+ mobo
1Gb DDR PC3200 SDRAM
Microsoft XP PRO SP3
Microsoft Office 2007 Enterprise Ed.
PNY Nvidia GeForce 7600GS w/s-video out
PowerMagic 350W PSU
80g Maxtor RPM HDD
80g Western Digital RPM HDD
Sony DRU-840A Dual Layer DVD +/- R/RW
Sony CRUX 40x32x10 CD-R/RW
Epsom Stylus Color 400 Printer
HP Scanjet 3570c Scanner
HP M/900 IN Monitor
Logitech Track-ball
Logitech Internet keyboard
Logitech Wingman Force Feedback Joystick
Microsoft Strategic Commander
Nostromo Speed Pad
Microsoft Digital 80 Sound System.

ATX Full Tower Case w/slide out motherboard tray and modified with extra cooling fans, round IDE cables, and heavy duty copper core HSF W/temp monitoring software.

Motherboard is ATX and has AC97 2.2 (Realtek ALC650) sound and Via Rhine 2 Fast Ethernet Adapter, AGP slot, 6 PCI slots, 6 USB 2.0 ports,and Hypoint Raid. Manual & CD.