AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Intel Motherboards & CPUs

Intel Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on INTEL products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 29th June, 2008, 01:03 AM

Core 2 is kinda neet

I'm just starting to see the advantages of 2 cores. 1 core is at 100% folding, leaving me a another CPU to do what ever else I want. My machine won't get loaded up very often any more! I like the dark side.

1ST * Asus M5A99FX Pro r 2.0 *AMD FX 8350 Black Edition *Cooler Master MasterLiquid 240 CPU Cooler * Crucial 16g DDR3 * MSI Geforce GTX 1050 * Antec 650w* Thermaltake V9 Case
2nd Asus M5A99fx Pro R2.0 Mainboard *AMD FX 4300 Black edition * l6g Crutial DDR3 * Evga Geforce Gt 730 * Coolermaster Dual fan HSF * 500w Thermaltake PSU * 320g western digital HDD

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 29th June, 2008, 02:58 AM

Just wait til you finally get to 4....
Old 29th June, 2008, 05:37 AM

Send a message via MSN to Samuknow

No SMP for folding?

I fold both and still do not see a slow down.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 29th June, 2008, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuknow View Post
No SMP for folding?

I fold both and still do not see a slow down.
I don't know. My edjumakashun hasn't progress to that level yet. The minute I saw 1 core at 100% and the other at idle, I knew there had to be a method in which the idol core could be utilized as well. I suspect SMP is somthing along those lines?

1ST * Asus M5A99FX Pro r 2.0 *AMD FX 8350 Black Edition *Cooler Master MasterLiquid 240 CPU Cooler * Crucial 16g DDR3 * MSI Geforce GTX 1050 * Antec 650w* Thermaltake V9 Case
2nd Asus M5A99fx Pro R2.0 Mainboard *AMD FX 4300 Black edition * l6g Crutial DDR3 * Evga Geforce Gt 730 * Coolermaster Dual fan HSF * 500w Thermaltake PSU * 320g western digital HDD

Old 29th June, 2008, 06:23 AM

If you really want to see a Core2 chew some stuff up, do a little encoding of some tunes or movies.

To get your SMP folding going check the folding section and read through the SMP thread. There has been some changes since the thread was started so the best info is on the last couple of pages. Especially the posts by ThunderRoad..
Old 29th June, 2008, 07:10 AM

I'll do that tomarrow. Went to F@H home/download pages and picked up some info. We will see what the dawn has in store.........

Old 29th June, 2008, 12:13 PM

After reading the F@H SMP info and SMP thread here-I think I'm going to pass on going that route. This is not only a 24/7 folding rig-It's also my main rig and stability is important to me. If I was willing to tollerate that-I'd still be running Vista!
So no I don't think so.

Old 1st July, 2008, 01:32 PM

Send a message via AIM to Necorum Send a message via MSN to Necorum Send a message via Yahoo to Necorum

Why oh why the vista crack i run smp on my vista machine and no problems (anymore) or slow downs.............

USER ERROR plays alot in the SMP problem Vista combo

3dMark 11: P7023
3dMark Vantage: P31097
Old 1st July, 2008, 02:14 PM

Vista itself is user error!

Last edited by PorPorMe; 1st July, 2008 at 02:14 PM.
Old 29th July, 2008, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorPorMe View Post
I'm just starting to see the advantages of 2 cores. 1 core is at 100% folding, leaving me a another CPU to do what ever else I want. My machine won't get loaded up very often any more! I like the dark side.
I was reading a thread over at Overclockers about the really dumb mistakes we have all made in this happy little computer world of ours. You know the kind-like forgetting to put to put the clear cmos jumper back and trying for hours to get the darn thing to boot. That kind.
When I first got the core Duo 2 E4300 seeing 1 core folding and 1 core free was good stuff.
Today I started Speedfan and what did I see? Both cores running at 100%! Can't have this! Something has invaded my machine! I opened taskmngr to see what had snuck in there and nothing was running except FahCore_82.EXE which is as should be. So I'm off hunting through process and services and start up and now I've got to slow down and figure out where the hidden SOB is at.Then i glance over at FahSpy to see how the folding is doing and hit me like a brick. the glance readings off the tray are for Core1 and Core2. I had change clients is all. DUH! Of course both were running at 100%!

Old 30th July, 2008, 05:45 AM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorPorMe View Post
After reading the F@H SMP info and SMP thread here-I think I'm going to pass on going that route. This is not only a 24/7 folding rig-It's also my main rig and stability is important to me. If I was willing to tollerate that-I'd still be running Vista!
So no I don't think so.
My main rig right now is my AthlonXP, which is single core. It runs 24/7 and I don't have any problems running FAH at 100% all the time. I've got 2 GiB of RAM, and the chip is overclocked to 2.6 GHz. It's running Windows XP.

I've got a laptop for my office machine that has a Core2Duo chip in it, and both cores on it run 24/7 at 100% without problems as well. (It runs on 64-bit Fedora 9, with 3 GiB of RAM).
Old 30th July, 2008, 11:00 AM

Send a message via MSN to Samuknow

I am with Gizmo on this. My main rig is a C2D @ 3.32 and runs SMP 24/7. I use it for everything and never notice issues. It is water cooled so heat is not an issue. I never notice any slowdowns or problems related to stability.

Fold on Brother.
Old 30th July, 2008, 12:15 PM

Boy, did I choose my tittle under my name correctly. I didn't communicate my point to you guys at all. I'm running the 2xFAH500 client and I have no problems with it at all. From what I've read, I'm getting nice ppd's and nice and stable.
What I was trying to say was my shock at seeing both cores at 100% and running off like a silly oaf in search of the villain software when I knew it was the folding client. It had just stuck in my mind about haveing 1 core being free of the other one and I just didn't think. Just a "DUH" moment that makes a person laugh at themselves. Having both cores running hasn't bothered me a bit.

Old 30th July, 2008, 03:02 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Ah, ok. I THOUGHT we had already had this conversation once. LOL.

I had FAH installed on one of my test machines at the office. My engineering mate across the hall borrowed it to use for some testing of his own one day, and I forgot to tell him about the folding client.

He spent a full two hours tracking down what it was and what it was doing on one of our test machines. LOL. When I explained it to him, then he got mad at me! I was like "Dude, that's MY test machine. Don't get mad at me because you borrowed a piece of MY test equipment and didn't know how to use it!"

He didn't speak to me for about 3 days after that.
Old 30th July, 2008, 07:24 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

When this started...Who would have though so many would get bent-over-folding!
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Old 30th July, 2008, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel ~ View Post
When this started...Who would have though so many would get bent-over-folding!
How and why you have your perspective on things would be any ones guess but don't loose it!

Old 31st July, 2008, 12:53 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

"We can never lose what is truly our own...even if we throw it away!"

I-Ching

":O}
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic