AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Intel Motherboards & CPUs

Intel Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on INTEL products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 24th July, 2008, 05:33 AM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Conroe vs. Wolfdale: To the Limit

Digit-Life give us a look at how the Wolfdale performs compared to Conroe:

e shall examine two interesting families of Intel processors with 333 MHz (1333 MHz Quad Pumped) FSB, based on the relatively old (Conroe) and relatively new (Wolfdale) cores. On the face of it, they differ only in L2 cache size (4 MB in Conroe and 6 MB in Wolfdale).

Read more on the Front Page:
Conroe vs. Wolfdale: To the Limit
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 24th July, 2008, 05:38 AM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Basically (though Digit-Life try to spin it as a significant improvement), it looks to me like Wolfdale really doesn't bring much to the party except in very specific applications. By the time you factor out measurement error and allow for clock speed variations, most of the performance difference (2-3% in most cases) can be ascribed to the increased cache size, 50% more, in fact.

What is truly amazing, IMO, is that going to 6M cache doesn't really make much difference in performance. That rather suggests that the cache architecture is working pretty darned well already.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 24th July, 2008, 05:57 AM

I beat up on a Q6600 for awhile, then moved into a Q9450, same clocks, same scores.

I'll be moving a rig from an E6600 to an E7200 this weekend and expect the same result from that.

Biggest difference I have noticed is heat output, which can be a big deal in my house because my computer room sits on a wall that gets sun all day. It's been nice walking in there and finding that a ceiling fan is able to keep the heat down to a manageable level.

Last edited by ccperf721p; 24th July, 2008 at 05:57 AM.
Old 27th July, 2008, 06:01 PM
Metal Wizard

No Way!!

No matter how you spin it a Conroe is just left obsolete by the Wolfdale
Whether it be clock for clock or if you are trying to get the heat off your processor.

When it comes to getting a little more speed from overclocking it is not even arguable!!!

you have a Conroe E6600 and you want 4000mhz? Forget it unless you have super cooling and don't mind giving your processor 1.8V or higher!!

You have a Wolfdale E8400 and you want 4000mhz? simply go into the bios and type in 445 under the fsb setting, hit F10 and enter you are there

Now as to clock for clock. Maybe the average user won't notice but who
in our world wouldn't notice the speed difference?

It is more noticeable than some reviewers and writers let on or care to admit to.

you will really see the difference as the fsb goes up!! it becomes quite dramatic. and at that point the Wolfdale is not even breaking a sweat while the Conroe is in desperate need of Oxygen and winter!! to try for more.

Here are some results for you. As the speed increase so does the disparity.

First the Conroe running pi 32m. The only reason i was able to run 32m this fast is cuz it was 20 degrees outside and I had my cooling system getting that cold air directly
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...la/piytre1.jpg

Now the Wolfdale at the same clock in july.
Who wouldn't like to cut 40 seconds off thier pi time
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...lla/picom2.jpg

Now for pi 1M

I was able during the cold weather to run this at 441 fsb on my Conroe
I was blown away to get this kind of speed!!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...Zilla/pi90.jpg
that was a hell of a run.

and now with the Wolfdale running at 441 fsb
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...illa/picom.jpg
By more than a second!!!

now let's compare CPU sores on AQMK3 at the same 441 fsb
This was with my 8800GTS 320 the day I ran this it was the 3rd highest score in the world for the 8800GTS 320 the cpu score was simply stunning!!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...la/aqmk3-2.jpg

And now with any any real thought or tweeking I go to my woldale typpe in 441 and boot and run AQmk3 a different vid card at stock.
but the cpu scores are directly comparable.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...k3beatdown.jpg

As you can see by the cpu scores at 3969mhz it is an absolute beatdown. the Wolfdale throws the Conroe a whippin'

And as for the 8800GTs 320 it had far more to give also even though at the time I thought it was about maxed!!!
Check this out. this card can be had now for as low as $129
strap a Wolfdale to it's ass and get out of the way cuz it will go like we never dreamed!!!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...lla/2ndrun.jpg
Can you believe it??!!

One more reason for the Wolfdale!!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...illa/01seb.jpg
A single 8800gts 320mem

I know guys with Conroes running SLI that can,t approach that score!!!

Look if you speed your E6600 up to 3.0 ghz and run the exact same speed as the E8400. you will still get dumped at everything. you will see a difference on virtually anything you do. If you are looking that is.
If you play little online games from shockwave or put mp3's onto disc or into a player or check mail or just sit in the forums you won't see a difference.

If you are an Overclocker then there will be nothing to compare as the Conroe is nothing compared to the Wolfdale. And from my Experience this applies to the Quad cores too. I have built a few systems based on the Q6600 and the 9450. Clock for clock I get the same types of results

WZ