AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Intel Motherboards & CPUs

Intel Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on INTEL products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 26th July, 2008, 03:01 AM

I've been corrupted

I've been here too long and the corruption that is inherent in a place like this has seeped into my soul. First it was Sam and the dark side. Now the OC bug could not be denied any longer.
the E4300 went from a core speed of 1800 to 2400 and an FSB of 800 to1066 without a hiccup. Mem timings are 5-6-6-16 where they were 4-4-4-15. Bus speed is now 266 was 200. Temps are still the same, under load 57c. Real genital. But corrupted all the same- I'm doomed.

1ST * Asus M5A99FX Pro r 2.0 *AMD FX 8350 Black Edition *Cooler Master MasterLiquid 240 CPU Cooler * Crucial 16g DDR3 * MSI Geforce GTX 1050 * Antec 650w* Thermaltake V9 Case
2nd Asus M5A99fx Pro R2.0 Mainboard *AMD FX 4300 Black edition * l6g Crutial DDR3 * Evga Geforce Gt 730 * Coolermaster Dual fan HSF * 500w Thermaltake PSU * 320g western digital HDD

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 26th July, 2008, 08:24 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Yeah Doomed.

What can I say, We LIKE corrupting innocence! ":O}
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 26th July, 2008, 08:50 PM

With the OC, the temps have stayed the same 57c or 58c. Cores are at 100% folding.
I thought I'd throw some stress at it so I ran OCCT stressing both CPU & memory. To my surprise the temps of the cores started to climb. After about a 10min run they were up about 10c so i shut down. My question. How does a CPU that is running at 100% run more than that? It would have to for the temps to climb. Don't make no sence!
[That happens to me sometimes!]

1ST * Asus M5A99FX Pro r 2.0 *AMD FX 8350 Black Edition *Cooler Master MasterLiquid 240 CPU Cooler * Crucial 16g DDR3 * MSI Geforce GTX 1050 * Antec 650w* Thermaltake V9 Case
2nd Asus M5A99fx Pro R2.0 Mainboard *AMD FX 4300 Black edition * l6g Crutial DDR3 * Evga Geforce Gt 730 * Coolermaster Dual fan HSF * 500w Thermaltake PSU * 320g western digital HDD

Old 27th July, 2008, 01:31 AM

Arrow

Yea, once you've started OCing there's no turning back!
You get used to the added performance and responsiveness of your system and just can't live with "Stock" speeds after that...

First off, just because it states its running at 100% doesn't mean it really is.
Most of the time its an approximate of that, so more like 80-90% will show 100%.
OCCT WILL push it to 99.75% so that is pushing it!

Thirdly, if your Fan/HS can't get rid of the heat quickly enough it starts to build up after a short time in a cumulative effect like my Asus 3 heatpipe cooler did and get progressively hotter and hotter.
This is what is happening to you when using OCCT.

Fourthly...This is why I wanted this Zalman cooler so badly!
There is absolutely NO heat build up at all with this big ole thing...
Attached Thumbnails
I've been corrupted-occt-99.75-.jpg  

EVGA GTX 470 SC 37% OC (855/1710/2004) 160.5Gbs
3DMark Vantage: P24352
3DMark 11: P5119

Last edited by MUff1N; 27th July, 2008 at 04:45 AM.
Old 27th July, 2008, 02:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUff1N View Post
Yea, once you've started OCing there's no turning back!

I new that from when i was OC'ing 10yrs ago! That is why I was why I didn't want to get started untill my hardware was up to snuff! It's a drug.

First off, just because it states its running at 100% doesn't mean it really is.
Most of the time its an approximate of that, so more like 89-90% will show 100%.
OCCT WILL push it to 99.98% so that is pushing it!

Thirdly, if your Fan/HS can't get rid of the heat quickly enough it starts to build up after a short time in a cumulative effect like my Asus 3 heatpipe cooler did and get progressively hotter and hotter.
This is what is happening to you when using OCCT.

Fourthly...This is why I wanted this Zalman cooler so badly!
There is absolutely NO heat build up at all with this big ole thing...
I just made $75 today and where I can't use it for what I want, [it has to bail our buts out of a situation] It means i can get what I want next month. That means the last two pieces of hardware to seal the deal.
XCLIO GOODPOWER 500W 500W ATX Power Supply from Newegg for $60 and free shipping.
And the Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro CPU Heatsink for $25 from Xoxide.com free shipping. [will look a little more but that has been about the lowest]

But before I get to OC'ing to much, I really want to do comparison testing on thermal compounds that I have.
thermal compounds

Old 27th July, 2008, 04:41 AM

Arrow

The Arctic Freezer Pro will help a lot on keeping your CPU cooler than a "Stock" heatsink will believe me! I have a friend that got one of those for his AMD Athlon 3200+ and it brought his temps down by 30F from his stock heatsink.
Where you will really see the diff, is in the high Load temps being much lower & your CPU will cool down twice as fast after the load is taken off.

Also, the best thermal compounds that I have personally tested are
Arctic Silver
Céramique & Silver 5.

Both perform very well with a very slight edge going to Silver 5.

EVGA GTX 470 SC 37% OC (855/1710/2004) 160.5Gbs
3DMark Vantage: P24352
3DMark 11: P5119

Last edited by MUff1N; 27th July, 2008 at 04:42 AM.
Old 27th July, 2008, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUff1N View Post
The Arctic Freezer Pro will help a lot on keeping your CPU cooler than a "Stock" heatsink will believe me! I have a friend that got one of those for his AMD Athlon 3200+ and it brought his temps down by 30F from his stock heatsink.
Where you will really see the diff, is in the high Load temps being much lower & your CPU will cool down twice as fast after the load is taken off.

Also, the best thermal compounds that I have personally tested are
Arctic Silver
Céramique & Silver 5.

Both perform very well with a very slight edge going to Silver 5.
Yea, and when the time comes, i want your critique. I've got a grease I'm useing and going to test head to head with Arctic Silver 5. I use it now on my HSF's but I have not done any testing yet. I'm not looking to beat Arctic Silver. I just am very curious in comparing an unknown to a known product. So far it's doing a good job but i won't really know until I set the 3 computers up and start testing. I need to do a little more studying on the proper method of application so that is the same each time. I've got the 3 computers just about ready-I'll back the OC of of cource. Next week mabe.

Old 27th July, 2008, 05:33 AM

Send a message via MSN to Samuknow

I am glad I could have a hand in this.

Not everyday I can contribute to someone else catching the obsession.

Enjoy, not many things in life can be this much fun and so frustrating at the same time.