AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Intel Motherboards & CPUs

Intel Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on INTEL products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 17th September, 2008, 08:55 PM

Mad Scientist at work...LOL

I've found yet another feature that CrystalCPUID can do...
Change the "Locked" multi on my processor on the Badaxe 2 mobo.

You use the MSR Editor to change the CPU register...by changing the first 4 to a 5 (right to left) it unlocks the multiplier.
Locked: 0x60840489
Unlocked: 0x60850489

This doesn't "stick" however & to use it, I'd have to do a combo of 2 things each time to have a high FSB while staying at 3.50GHz which is also use SetFSB.
Because after you set the multi to x8, then go into the bios to change the FSB it resets it back to x10. So you have to use SetFSB to get around this while in the Windows OS to get the CPU speed back up after changing it to x8.

This is way too much of a PITA to do for a high FSB though.
Still, I thought it was interesting that it's even possible.
Screenshot of CPU-Z with a x8 Multi on my E6700.
Attached Thumbnails
Mad Scientist at work...LOL-cpu-z-e6700-multi-changed-x8.jpg  

EVGA GTX 470 SC 37% OC (855/1710/2004) 160.5Gbs
3DMark Vantage: P24352
3DMark 11: P5119

Last edited by MUff1N; 18th September, 2008 at 02:51 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 17th September, 2008, 09:02 PM

Send a message via MSN to Samuknow

I think I am confused....
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 17th September, 2008, 09:12 PM

Talking

*Mad Scientist laugh!* ...

Basically its using 2 OC utilities inside of the Windows OS to change settings so that you can do what normally can't be done through the Bios or in Windows...
With CrystalCPUID you can change registers from their default settings although not permanently. Upon next reboot everything is reset back to the way it was.
You do this with the MSR Editor in CrystalCPUID & can alter these registers---> "Processor's power management model-specific registers (MSRs)"

In the MSR Editor below, what you are seeing is me changing this register to allow my multi to be changed where normally it's locked.
The MSR Number is for Core 2 Duo's. You put that in the top space then hit RDMSR (read MSR) then copy/paste those numbers below.
Leave the numbers on the Left as they are, then change the 4 to a 5 then click WRMSR (write MSR) to change the register.
You can now change the Multi with the Multiplier Management in CrystalCPUID!
This is how I changed the multi on my processor.
Not very practical and a bit of a pain to do, but hey...I was playing "Mad Scientist" today!!! LOL
Attached Thumbnails
Mad Scientist at work...LOL-crystalcpuid.jpg   Mad Scientist at work...LOL-msr-editor.jpg   Mad Scientist at work...LOL-multiplier-management-settings.jpg   Mad Scientist at work...LOL-coretemp-e6700-x8-multi.jpg  

Last edited by MUff1N; 20th September, 2008 at 05:56 PM. Reason: Added pictures & more info!
Old 17th September, 2008, 11:56 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Thanks, MUff1N. New knowledge always helps!
Old 18th September, 2008, 02:16 AM

Send a message via MSN to IceRaptor

isnt this like.... really dangerous?
320gb Seagate
500gb WD (external)
Gigabyte P965 S3
OCZ Stealth-X-Stream 600 Watt
Vista 32 bit
Old 18th September, 2008, 02:22 AM

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceRaptor View Post
isnt this like.... really dangerous?
You mean like wiping out your bios to where it freezes up & won't boot anymore & you have to do a bios recovery? YES...
But no Real Physical Damage.
As a matter of a fact that's what I had to do was a bios recovery after combining this with SetFSB while trying to get my CPU back up to 3.50GHz @ x8 Multi...haha!!!!
x8 @ 438 FSB = 3504 with a FSB of 1752.
I did say I was playing "Mad Scientist" didn't I!!! LOL

This is yet Another Reason why I want to get another mobo in my system so that I can do this via the bios like a "OC Enthusiast" should be able to.

I guess I am a little bit obsessed with OCing Porpor...
But isn't that what this forum is about?
Attached Thumbnails
Mad Scientist at work...LOL-setfsb.jpg  

Last edited by MUff1N; 18th September, 2008 at 03:34 AM.
Old 18th September, 2008, 10:54 AM
Chief Systems Administrator

The change makes sense, when you think that power management is designed to change the clock rate of the CPU when in a lower power state - the easiest way of doing this is changing the multiplier. Why we haven't bothered to make use of it as overclockers is another thing!

BTW, bit 16 (the one you altered) in IA32_MISC_ENABLE (1A0h) controls Intel Enhanced SpeedStep. The first 16 bits of MSR 199h controls target frequency and voltage point, MSR 198h should indicate current frequency and voltage point.

For both of these registers (198h and 199h), bits 15:8 control the multiplier, and bits 7:0 control the voltage.

Nice work - now we just need a tool that'll change the bus and multiplier at the same time. (;

Last edited by Áedán; 18th September, 2008 at 11:11 AM. Reason: bit more info.
Old 20th September, 2008, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Áedán View Post
The change makes sense, when you think that power management is designed to change the clock rate of the CPU when in a lower power state - the easiest way of doing this is changing the multiplier. Why we haven't bothered to make use of it as overclockers is another thing!

BTW, bit 16 (the one you altered) in IA32_MISC_ENABLE (1A0h) controls Intel Enhanced SpeedStep. The first 16 bits of MSR 199h controls target frequency and voltage point, MSR 198h should indicate current frequency and voltage point.

For both of these registers (198h and 199h), bits 15:8 control the multiplier, and bits 7:0 control the voltage.

Nice work - now we just need a tool that'll change the bus and multiplier at the same time. (;
Wow! You know a TON about code don't you!!!
Very interesting though & way cool that you know this stuff!

I don't really have a clue "how" this works or even why...I just know how to do this using CrystalCPUID is all by reading other posts in forums on this utility.
But yea, that would be SO COOL to have it to where you could change both the Multi & FSB simultaneously!!!
If I knew how to write code I'd start working on this just to see if it could be done...
I for one would use this utility with my mobo if it existed!!!

But alas, I don't have a single clue on even the slightest bit of coding at all. I'm also Horrible with Math! Without a calculator I can't even add almost...

I did try 4 times to get my FSB up to 438 but it froze on me every time!!!
This was after changing my DRAM ratio to 1:1 then adding more voltage to the FSB in the bios before doing this...Still no Joy!

Last edited by MUff1N; 20th September, 2008 at 06:09 PM.
Old 20th September, 2008, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUff1N View Post

I guess I am a little bit obsessed with OCing Porpor...
But isn't that what this forum is about?
Thanks for the work. Now you can concintrate on your own stuff. Give it hell! We can pick it back up when I get the new mobo, what ever that might be.

1ST * Asus M5A99FX Pro r 2.0 *AMD FX 8350 Black Edition *Cooler Master MasterLiquid 240 CPU Cooler * Crucial 16g DDR3 * MSI Geforce GTX 1050 * Antec 650w* Thermaltake V9 Case
2nd Asus M5A99fx Pro R2.0 Mainboard *AMD FX 4300 Black edition * l6g Crutial DDR3 * Evga Geforce Gt 730 * Coolermaster Dual fan HSF * 500w Thermaltake PSU * 320g western digital HDD