AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Intel Motherboards & CPUs

Intel Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on INTEL products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 20th October, 2008, 12:15 AM

Send a message via MSN to Rondog

Motherboard with SATA RAID01

Just a quicky hopefully, I need a motherboard which is preferable C2D, 4xDDR2, capable of 8gb. Needs at least 4x SATA2 points capable of RAID01.

IE:

4x1.5tb HDD.

1.5tb-1.5tb : striped and then mirrored with the other 1.5tb-1.5tb.

Any thoughts ladies and gentlemen?

Or is it worth spending the extrafor a SCSI setup?

Just a bit of background info, am building a new server to use for image storage. Part of my business is system recoveries, and I always take images before I recover, just in case. And I need somewhere to store them all. NAS is not an option because network backbone is not fast enough for what I need.

Rig 1: Intel Core i5 750,4gb,HD6870,500gb,W7 Ult x64

Last edited by Rondog; 20th October, 2008 at 12:18 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 20th October, 2008, 07:12 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Gizmo knows hardrives and all their uses...

I'll drop him a line.":O}
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 20th October, 2008, 07:50 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Unless you are planning on some type of multiuser environment where you are going to be serving data to multiple users/applications at the same time, I'd expect decent SATA2 drives to be more than adequate. Any more, SCSI is really only called for in heavy-duty big-iron server environments or hardcore workstation-type stuff.

That being said, I'd recommend getting a dedicated SATA2 RAID controller, rather than using on-board mobo-based RAID, ESPECIALLY if you are planning on doing a RAID 10 configuration.

3Ware makes some pretty nice SATA RAID controllers, as does LSI. I've not played with Adaptec's offerings, but if their SCSI controllers are anything to go by, I'd not spend the money it'd take to shoot one much less actually own it.
Old 21st October, 2008, 02:30 AM

Getting a SATA RAID card, what sort of system would I need to back it up. Mid range new, or would an old P4 3ghz w/ 1gb ram handle it ok?

Old 21st October, 2008, 04:23 AM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

An old P4 board would be running a PCI bus, which means that you'd be limiting the transfer rate to about 100 MB/S, tops, which would rather defeat the purpose of building a RAID10. Going with a PCIe board would increase that limit to about 200 MB/S or so, minimum.
Old 21st October, 2008, 07:14 AM

I was thinking entry level C2D, such as an E7300.

Old 21st October, 2008, 08:32 AM
Chief Systems Administrator

SCSI or SAS is way over the top for what you're wanting. If I understand correctly, you're really looking for near-line storage. As Gizmo says, hardware RAID tends to be more reliable, but slightly slower. If you need every gram of performance you can squeeze out of a disk array, then software RAID is the way to go. This doesn't sound like the scenario you're facing, so hardware RAID may be more useful.

The downside of hardware RAID is that the controller card is generally fairly expensive. LSI do a range of SATA/SAS controllers (note that SAS controllers can generally talk SATA as well as SAS, but SATA controllers don't generally talk SAS) in various bus configurations, ranging from 4 ports up to 16 ports.
Old 21st October, 2008, 11:32 AM

Reliability is what I'm after. I am not hugely concerned about cost, the business will be paying for it.

Finally, can I run two separate RAID arrays, IE: two separate RAID10 arrays?

Old 21st October, 2008, 01:53 PM

Depends on the RAID controller. Most controllers I've come across will allow you to have any number of RAID arrays. One thing to remember though, if you only have a four port RAID controller, you can only have one RAID10 array. If you want two RAID10 arrays, you'll need a minimum of eight ports.

Last edited by Áedán; 21st October, 2008 at 01:54 PM.
Old 21st October, 2008, 09:54 PM

I've got all sorts of ideas running around in my head at the moment: media centre with redundancy, file server to store images, WSUS, RIS. I'm sure I will get it all sorted out. Now that I know what I'm after for RAID. Do you think a basic C2D will be sufficient for a system to run it?

Old 22nd October, 2008, 09:35 AM

A file server doesn't take a lot of CPU power. Presumably, if you are running WSUS and RIS, you'll also have an active directory.

What's the media centre going to be used for - If it's video, is the machine going to have hardware acceleration suitable for the encoding used?
Old 22nd October, 2008, 10:46 AM

This is what i've decided on after looking at my options.

I'm wanting a machine to do AD, WSUS, RIS, file/printing sharing. With the 3tb RAID10 array as mentioned above. Will be running Windows Server 2003.

I'm wanting a second machine for a media centre with a 1tb RAID1 array for protection of my data. It will be connected to the network, but not on the domain. Media centre will be connected to the TV, watch/record live tv, watch stored DVD's, play music etc. Will probably run XP MCE 2005.

Or is their a better option I could look at.

Old 22nd October, 2008, 11:50 AM

Personally, I'm using Mythbuntu (MythTV on Ubuntu) for my media centre, although it's all at SD at the moment. HD requires more resouces, strangely enough.

I don't see why an MCE wouldn't work either - as it supports DVB.
Old 23rd October, 2008, 03:18 AM

For the media centre the plan thus far C2D E8400, 2gb ram, GA-EG45M-DS2H, 2x1tb HDD in RAID1 array for media, 80gb for OS/apps. And a blu-ray reader. HD/Analog hybrid tuner. Mythbuntu, never heard of it, will look into it later on today. Does it support remote controls, thats why I was thinking MCE with an official MS Remote.

For new server for home. XEON X3330, Intel S3210SHLC, 4gb RAM, 4x1.5tb RAID 1 0 array on a RAID card of some kind, just need to find one first. And possibly 2x80gb RAID 1 for OS/apps on the onboard SATA RAID.