AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Intel Motherboards & CPUs

Intel Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on INTEL products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 11th January, 2009, 04:09 AM

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccperf721p View Post
I've had a lot of fun over the years with the Biostar Tforce and Tpower series. I still have a 939 Tforce board running 24/7 with a Venice core and 2 X 512 of some old school BH-5. The later Biostar boards are quite impressive, build quality is excellent and performance is second to none.

I should have some results Sunday. I am formatting a partition for XP64 as I type this. I'm on the stock cooler for now. Haven't decided whether I will buy a new water block or just a good air cooled setup.

What benchmarks would you like to see run? I'll run them at stock first, then at whatever the stock cooler allows for an overclock, then when I get some decent cooling, I will run them again.
Yea that's what I figured on the Biostar boards.
You wouldn't be using them if they were top notch!

Benchmarks: I'd like to see some Sandra Processor & Memory benches & a 3DMark Vantage or 06 score too.
I know what these look like on my system & how I score an it will give me a good point of reference on performance differences.
Thanks!

EVGA GTX 470 SC 37% OC (855/1710/2004) 160.5Gbs
3DMark Vantage: P24352
3DMark 11: P5119

Last edited by MUff1N; 11th January, 2009 at 04:09 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11th January, 2009, 08:18 PM

Here's a Sandra Arithmetic and Memory Bandwidth test. Hyperthreading and turbo mode are enabled. Turbo mode gives you a couple of extra multis on demand, taking it from 20 to 21/22.

I am still on the stock Intel cooler, so the clock speeds should give you some idea of what is possible with these CPU's. I must note that while my CPU is a retail unit, it was pulled by a source at Intel.

I am also running the memory well below it's rated speed and timings are set by SPD so the memory benchmarks will improve as I get more time to play.

I'll update the thread with new benches and clock speeds as I go.
Attached Thumbnails
i7 Processor learning curve...-sandra1.jpg   i7 Processor learning curve...-sandra2.jpg   i7 Processor learning curve...-sandra3.jpg  
Old 11th January, 2009, 10:56 PM

Thumbs up

Must be nice to have a neighbor working at Intel heh? hehe!
OMG!!!
That's twice the memory speed & 3 times the processor speed of my current setup!!!
Incredible performance...WOW, just WOW!!!
Attached Thumbnails
i7 Processor learning curve...-intel-core-2-duo-e6700-oc   i7 Processor learning curve...-corsair-xms2-twin2x2048-6400c4-4-4 667 reference @ 3.3Ghz.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	404.6 KB
ID:	23527  

EVGA GTX 470 SC 37% OC (855/1710/2004) 160.5Gbs
3DMark Vantage: P24352
3DMark 11: P5119

Last edited by MUff1N; 11th January, 2009 at 11:01 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 13th January, 2009, 06:29 AM

It's actually my neighbor's friend that works for Intel, but yeah, it's nice to have that contact. I still have to pay for the CPU's I get, admittingly it is anywhere near a retail price and they are always hand picked best of the litter CPU's.

Corei7 packs some punch, that's for sure. Managed to get 3.6 10 hour stable at stock voltage. We'll see what she really has in her next week when I get some better cooling. I decided to stick with air cooling on this rig, went with a Thermalright U120E..
Old 13th January, 2009, 05:14 PM

I changed my mind on the cooling. I was running some G.Skill memory for the first runs because it was a known set that I had used before, after removing that and installing the Corsair Dominators I was able to get to 3.8 on .02 over stock voltage. Decided to buy a water block instead. Ordered a Swiftech Apogee GTZ. Gives me something to do with all that water cooling gear on the shelf..
Old 13th January, 2009, 05:23 PM
Irreverent Query Chairman

The Swiftech block was a great upgrade to my home rig, and I got 5-7 degrees improvement over the last gen Swiftech block I was running til then.

It's a bowed backplate block, so be really careful when you install it. I was shocked when I first saw how bowed it really was. Clearly visible to the naked eye. It took me a couple of tries to get it right, but it was the first time I had seen one like it.
#1: Tt Armor, ASUS Maximus Extreme, QX9650@4.1G, 8G Corsair Dominator GT DDR3-2000, Corsair HX1050, H2O-Swiftech, Gigabyte GTX470/Arctic Accelero Xtreme Plus II, Intel 520 SSD, Kingston SSD, 2xRaptor 150G RAID0, Win 7 Pro 64
#2: Tt Shark, ASUS P5Q Pro Turbo, Q6600@3.8G, 4G HyperX-1600, Corsair HX850, CoolerMaster V10, 2xASUS 9600GT, 2xRaptor 74G RAID0, OCZ Vertex 4 SSD, Gentoo/siduction Linux [64-bit]
#3, #4: Opteron 170@2.75G nude, A8N-SLI Deluxe, Gentoo

AOA Folding @HomeOur sister site: www.gamersonlinux.com
Old 13th January, 2009, 07:08 PM

Thanks for the info TR. Any specifics on the installation that you went through?

I put a .002" of inch bow in my MP-05 Pro and recorded the amount of torque it takes to bring it back to perfectly flat. Worked out well, then I could just torque the block down on the board and know I had a nice mount..
Old 13th January, 2009, 07:30 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

As nice as neighbours can be...you just can't top having knowledgeable fingers...":O}
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Old 14th January, 2009, 06:34 PM
Irreverent Query Chairman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccperf721p View Post
Thanks for the info TR. Any specifics on the installation that you went through?

I put a .002" of inch bow in my MP-05 Pro and recorded the amount of torque it takes to bring it back to perfectly flat. Worked out well, then I could just torque the block down on the board and know I had a nice mount..
Well, first, I can say that I think a lot of the temperature improvement over the GTX is a result of the increase in the number of those small baffles inside the block, creating more effective surface area. The first thing I did when I got the GTZ was to measure the bow as best I could [it was a bit over .003" from the factory] and then flatten it; I lapped the q6600 in 6 grades to 1200 grit, polished it, and then installed the block flat and ran OCCT. IIRC, I got an immediate improvement of about 2 degrees over the GTX, running it flat.

BTW, I did not use the factory-supplied backplate. I had an old Tt backplate that was visibly sturdier, so I used that one instead.

After that baseline I re-bowed the plate to about half of the factory bow. I didn't think to measure the torque to get it flat-that's a good idea and I'll have to remember to do that next time. I do know that when I tightened it down I went as far as I felt comfortable and ran OCCT again. Temperature wise, it was worse than the old GTX. I torqued the screws a slight bit more; still no improvement. For some odd reason, the only thing that really brought the temps down dramatically was re-orienting the block at 90 degrees from where I started-which totally baffled me, but I didn't argue with success. Perhaps it was some inaccuracy in my measuring of the bow, or in the lapping; or maybe because of irregularities it just fit better that way. I suppose it could also be where the physical cores are located. I do know that core 0 in my chip generally runs the coolest of the 4, and core 3 is generally the hottest, so that could be the reason as well.

In the end I had to use what I felt was A LOT of torque, more than I ever have on a cooler or WB, but it delivered what I thought were impressive results-in some of my OCCT runs after install I got a 5 degree improvement.

One more thing-I revisited the block after about 2 weeks of use and gave the screws a final tweaking, perhaps a quarter-turn or so on each. That was when I got a few runs of OCCT in at a 7C improvement on a day with ambients identical to the installation day. I argued with myself whether or not to turn the screws more [I didn't].

I'm not familiar with your MP-05 Pro, but the Swiftech blocks create the bow with the O-ring on the perimeter of the plate, and the screws just outside it. Other blocks create the bow with the O-ring in the middle of the block; which way does your MP-05 do it?
#1: Tt Armor, ASUS Maximus Extreme, QX9650@4.1G, 8G Corsair Dominator GT DDR3-2000, Corsair HX1050, H2O-Swiftech, Gigabyte GTX470/Arctic Accelero Xtreme Plus II, Intel 520 SSD, Kingston SSD, 2xRaptor 150G RAID0, Win 7 Pro 64
#2: Tt Shark, ASUS P5Q Pro Turbo, Q6600@3.8G, 4G HyperX-1600, Corsair HX850, CoolerMaster V10, 2xASUS 9600GT, 2xRaptor 74G RAID0, OCZ Vertex 4 SSD, Gentoo/siduction Linux [64-bit]
#3, #4: Opteron 170@2.75G nude, A8N-SLI Deluxe, Gentoo

AOA Folding @HomeOur sister site: www.gamersonlinux.com
Old 14th January, 2009, 08:32 PM

The MP-05 Pro has the o-ring around the perimeter, After about 6 months of use the block had become bowed the wrong way though, so I ended up putting the bow back in the base plate.
Old 17th January, 2009, 02:47 AM

Waterblock arrived today, should be able to get everything in place by Sunday and make some real runs.

Just in case Gizmo reads this as he is the only one I know running Gentoo besides me.. How about an 18 minute bootstrap for power.. Corei7 kicks butt