AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Intel Motherboards & CPUs

Intel Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on INTEL products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 5th March, 2009, 03:37 PM

Another motherboard dying?

I have a EVGA Nvidia nForce 780i SLI MVP. My motherboard has 4 memory slots. I'm using 2x2Gb G, Skills. I have another 2x2G kit just sitting because I thought 1 2G stick was dead. The G.Skills are on tthe approved list.
I'm cleaning up the cables in the case, hard drives and arranging everything for better air flow. With the G. Skills, I've learned to remove them 1st thing as there heat sink is so tall it not only gets in the way it could very easy to break a slot.
I had my rig up on my work table while I did this. I did a preliminary boot and everything was fine-booted into Vista where I shut down and moved it over to the regular spot-for all the right cables and things.
On first boot I got a long solid beep. Post code read 3 different readings.
one was 6F....FDD install.....Install FDD and setup bios data parameters.
I hadn't gotten to bios yet and not knowing there reference, I kept looking. On another boot, post code went by 6f to stop at 7F, [other codes in between.] 7F is post error check....Check post error and display them and ask for user intervention.
I've got to go back to basics. I disconnect all except HSF and memory. Same beep and post code. I start moving sticks of memory around and both work just fine in the second bank but if I use the 1st bank-one works one does not.

I had trouble with one of them day before yesterday. I pulled cmos jumper over night and every thing was fine in the morning.
Last night I ran Everest to check some things and it reported 2Gb of ram. I pulled the 2G stick from slot 3 and it would not post. I then took the 2G stick out of slot one and moved it to slot 2. I booted right up.
The older 4G kit I had kept when I thought one was dead, I installed it and it would work in every slot except #1. one 2G stick will work in the 1st bank and that is the one that is mated to the one that started this thing. I had it fail once, it hadn't set right.I pulled it and reset and it booted right up.

The 1st bank seems to run what and when it wants now.
I've run memtest on pairs for more than 1/2 hr with no errors.
Is another board dying under me?

1ST * Asus M5A99FX Pro r 2.0 *AMD FX 8350 Black Edition *Cooler Master MasterLiquid 240 CPU Cooler * Crucial 16g DDR3 * MSI Geforce GTX 1050 * Antec 650w* Thermaltake V9 Case
2nd Asus M5A99fx Pro R2.0 Mainboard *AMD FX 4300 Black edition * l6g Crutial DDR3 * Evga Geforce Gt 730 * Coolermaster Dual fan HSF * 500w Thermaltake PSU * 320g western digital HDD

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 5th March, 2009, 03:59 PM

Arrow

My gut instinct tells me this is a Bios problem.
Somehow the bios has gotten borked & needs to be re-flashed again.
This is my best guess.

EVGA GTX 470 SC 37% OC (855/1710/2004) 160.5Gbs
3DMark Vantage: P24352
3DMark 11: P5119
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 6th March, 2009, 01:21 AM

Send a message via AIM to Necorum Send a message via MSN to Necorum Send a message via Yahoo to Necorum

Oh noes porpor and bios flashing :P goodluck bro try to flash to a older bios and slowly work your way up the bios's if the older bios works then go to a more recent :P rinse repeat maybe? PS make sure you dont flash the bios to a bios where your chip wasnt supoorted (looks around likeit never happened to him recently) thank god i have the 3800 still lolz

try blowing out the ram slots also

3dMark 11: P7023
3dMark Vantage: P31097

Last edited by Necorum; 6th March, 2009 at 01:33 AM.
Old 6th March, 2009, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUff1N View Post
My gut instinct tells me this is a Bios problem.
Somehow the bios has gotten borked & needs to be re-flashed again.
This is my best guess.
I flashed the PO8 [latest at the time]bios about 5 or 6 months ago. I did a couple of hours hunting for a new bios. Why do manufacturers hide them? Will look for older ones and newer ones in the morning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Necorum View Post
Oh noes porpor and bios flashing :P goodluck bro try to flash to a older bios and slowly work your way up the bios's if the older bios works then go to a more recent :P rinse repeat maybe? PS make sure you dont flash the bios to a bios where your chip wasnt supoorted (looks around likeit never happened to him recently) thank god i have the 3800 still lolz
try blowing out the ram slots also
Blowing out that #1 slot, and the rest while i'm at it sounds like one of those dumb ideas that just might work. mabe with a Q-tip of alcohol in front for some liguid. [then leave it aline for a while. ] Funny thing is I can run all four slots if I put the sticks in the right order,

1ST * Asus M5A99FX Pro r 2.0 *AMD FX 8350 Black Edition *Cooler Master MasterLiquid 240 CPU Cooler * Crucial 16g DDR3 * MSI Geforce GTX 1050 * Antec 650w* Thermaltake V9 Case
2nd Asus M5A99fx Pro R2.0 Mainboard *AMD FX 4300 Black edition * l6g Crutial DDR3 * Evga Geforce Gt 730 * Coolermaster Dual fan HSF * 500w Thermaltake PSU * 320g western digital HDD

Old 6th March, 2009, 04:09 PM

Does the board see all of the memory when 4 slots are filled or is slot one shown empty no matter what?
Old 6th March, 2009, 04:46 PM

I booted up this morning ( older 1G stick had been running just fine on Wed. 1st Bank.) It wouldn't boot-long beep as before. I had the sticks marked now as to how each worked in 1st bank.
I cleaned all four with alcohol, I don't have anything for the slots, and then installed all four. Heard a nice, clean bios beep and booted into a clean install of Vista x64.
After installing drivers, I installed Everest and this is what I found.
I just thought I was confused
1st bank isn't recognized at all. I don't see how bios is the problem but slot 1 is sure finicky. I'll go get a cleaner sometime today.

EDIT:
ccp knows something! I will go move the sticks around just to see, but it's not being seen now.
Attached Thumbnails
Another motherboard dying?-mem001.jpg   Another motherboard dying?-mem002.jpg  

Last edited by PorPorMe; 6th March, 2009 at 06:25 PM.
Old 7th March, 2009, 04:42 AM

I had sent aanothe shot of Everest memory readings about 11 this morning but I must have messed up somewhere. After a shuffle, 1st bank didn't show and everest was reporting the wrong memory in the wrong slots. I just took a look at what is previously posted and it's grouping the differt groups together. I can't get to the 11 o'clock pic because like an idiot-I installed XP on another drive. Now I can't get to Vista. I'll get somethe goung here in XP and see what something else shows.

Old 7th March, 2009, 09:32 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

May the computer gods reward you in your quest for perfect, er, a board that works right!
Old 8th March, 2009, 01:24 AM

Send a message via AIM to Necorum Send a message via MSN to Necorum Send a message via Yahoo to Necorum

any luck yet porpor? also try upping the voltage maybe ? small increment on everything memory related ? try to boot with all sticks in slot 1 ??? not at the same time duh but you know boot with each one of them maybe run a memtest to :P also with each stick IN SLOT 1 go into the bios and record the voltages for each stick make sure they all are the same :P

Also try to boot with just enough things to boot the system ram stick hard drive nothing else maybe a psu issue? just tossing idea's maybe try a different graphics card (psu maybe a culprit)

3dMark 11: P7023
3dMark Vantage: P31097

Last edited by Necorum; 8th March, 2009 at 01:32 AM.
Old 8th March, 2009, 04:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Necorum View Post
any luck yet porpor? also try upping the voltage maybe ? small increment on everything memory related ? try to boot with all sticks in slot 1 ??? not at the same time duh but you know boot with each one of them maybe run a memtest to :P also with each stick IN SLOT 1 go into the bios and record the voltages for each stick make sure they all are the same :P

Also try to boot with just enough things to boot the system ram stick hard drive nothing else maybe a psu issue? just tossing idea's maybe try a different graphics card (psu maybe a culprit)
Thanks for all the ideas. Even though they probly wont't help, I'll try any way.
I had a dumb idea at 3am, why not go look at the EVGA Forums? I'm even a member there. Anyway, there are a number of posts like mine and they all have one solution-get a new board. ccp had an idea that the bios might be corrupt so I flashed that and there were some reporting problems with the new System drivers caused a lot of problems so I used the ones that came with the board. Everything as clean as possible.
I forgot to mentiom that I deleted both XP & Vista. I'm on XP PRO SP3 now. I forgot how quick it is!
Anyway. I put two 2g sticks in 1st set. Computer booted and ran fine so I could get all the drivers loaded and then ran Everest. 1st slot doesnt show.
Pulled those and install both 1G sticks in the second set of slots.
Everest saw both of them.
I'm playing nice with this board untill I can afford a new one. I have good computer money this month but we got hit hard with car repairs and some med bills. So it looks like my computer mone is going to be come save our but money! So I've got to nurse this one for as long as it will go.

Last edited by PorPorMe; 8th March, 2009 at 04:19 AM.
Old 8th March, 2009, 05:46 AM
AOA Staff

Send a message via AIM to robbie Send a message via MSN to robbie Send a message via Yahoo to robbie Send a message via Skype™ to robbie

I need to dig and find my post about the cracked ram socket that I found on a server mother board at work. I think it might have done some of the same probs you are having.
Buy it, Sell it, or Trade it in the AoA classifieds!!
AOA Team fah
Old 8th March, 2009, 05:05 PM

If there is some kind of fix, I'd sure like to hear it. Even if it's something to delay the progression for a while. I'm treating her like the lady she is from here on out!
I'm going to post in the EVGA 780i forum if any one has kept the board going and for how long. I'll see what comes up there.
But keep looking! It might be something.

Old 8th March, 2009, 07:43 PM
AOA Staff

Send a message via AIM to robbie Send a message via MSN to robbie Send a message via Yahoo to robbie Send a message via Skype™ to robbie

Ok, I found the post. It's not the same problem you are having with yours. but it's something to look at at least. Have you taken the ram out a lot? And used a lot of force to put it back in?

Something to consider. Also, any chance I could get a "close of shot of the ram sockets? Or maybe look for bent pins down in it? Sorry, I don't know how good your eyes are. Mine are pretty damn good and I can catch these things.

Here is the post.
Buy it, Sell it, or Trade it in the AoA classifieds!!
AOA Team fah
Old 9th March, 2009, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbie View Post
Ok, I found the post. It's not the same problem you are having with yours. but it's something to look at at least. Have you taken the ram out a lot? And used a lot of force to put it back in?

Something to consider. Also, any chance I could get a "close of shot of the ram sockets? Or maybe look for bent pins down in it? Sorry, I don't know how good your eyes are. Mine are pretty damn good and I can catch these things.

Here is the post.
Sorry, robbie, I tried to get some shots of the slots but my camera isn't good enough.

Old 9th March, 2009, 03:39 PM

Arrow

Didn't you mention something about the the hight of your memory cards & putting stress on them while trying to work on your system?
Did you accidentally put a bunch of stress on slot one by pushing the memory to the side from the top while working on it while it was still in the slot?
This is while you were on the heavy meds & weren't thinking correctly...You might have broken it then.
I'm just thinking what it could be is all & thinking maybe you might have forgotten something you did...

I've done stuff like that myself, but it was when I used to drink...

Speaking of meds, I have my 200 mile round trip this morning to go get my meds filled.
Yea, the Dr.s here won't do that so I have to go 200 miles up & back to Phoenix to get them.

Last edited by MUff1N; 9th March, 2009 at 03:48 PM.
Old 9th March, 2009, 05:26 PM

Your idea could very well be true. A pin could be bent like robbie said but did you notice ccp asked a question about if memory is being recognised BEFORE I had noticed it. Which meant he had a good idea what was wrong and let me find out myself. It's not uncomon in the EVGA 780i forum. The why of it hasn't been found yet.
I've got another klunker. OC'ing is out-I'm just going to fold.
I've got a bad driver somewhere. twice the minute I clicked on one of my DVD players-BLOD. And thats the first except for OC'ing.
I'll just hold on and hope it lasts. I asked in the EVGA forum if they had seen any pattern in how the boards went down and got laught at.

I've got what I think is the last checkup today with the surgeon. I'm still useing the muscle relaxers as I'm not such a good boy and have a tendancy to do to much.

Have a nice trip!

Old 24th March, 2009, 05:37 AM

Thought I'd giv an update. I moved the 2x 2GB sticks into the second bank, installed XP PRO SP3 x64. Overclocked @3.87GB stable and smooth. I think I'll hold off on a new board [that could bite me!] and get some new headphones. I say that with a prayer on my lips.

Last edited by PorPorMe; 24th March, 2009 at 05:38 AM.
Old 25th March, 2009, 12:39 PM

My rig has been very nice since I put the memory in the 2nd bank. Not a hiccup, the sounds of her remain constant no matter what I'm doing so, being the pie in the sky kind of person I mostly am, I figured the problem was confined to the 1st memory slot.

Night before last, she had re-booted her self somewhere in the night. I got up this morning-same thing.

I know, It could be a dozen things. I'm not going to wait for something else to go wrong with this one-Time to buy a new board!

Any suggestions around $150 would be appreceated

Old 27th March, 2009, 10:15 AM
Warthog Launch Champion

i have that problem with my asus m2n board i cant put a dim in to slot 3 but every thing else works fine and has for a while now

IPhone 3G 16GB White

Intel C2Q Q6600 2.4GHz EVGA 750i SLI FTW 4GB CORSAIR XMS2 2X2GB 9800GT Stock ZALMAN 9900LED CPU COOLER ASUS vw193t 19' lcd thermaltake 500w psu Windows 7 Rtm 7600
AMD Athlon X2 4000+ @2.1Ghz ASUS M2N 2GB CORSAIR XMS2 1X2GB 7300gt STOCK thermaltake 500W PSU Windows 7 Rtm 7600
Old 27th March, 2009, 01:41 PM

Wink

Once again I get a reminder that my Badaxe 2 board isn't all that bad.
I may not be able to achieve really high clocks or FSB on it, but it just keeps on a chuggin along.
I've been OCing my system now for almost 2 years & it's really stable now at 3.50GHz!