AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Intel Motherboards & CPUs

Intel Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on INTEL products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 22nd May, 2010, 08:04 AM
Steve Jobs

X38 + C2D back from the dead!

Had my mother complaining about her computer for quite some time, that it was slow, that the video was flakey, and it was unstable etc.

System was:

Socket AM2 motherboard w/ Geforce 6100 integrated
AMD Sempron 3100+ 1.8Ghz single core
512MB DDR2 533
80GB HDD

So yea, she had a point, it sucked. Scrounged up a pair of new ram sticks for my rig, so passed the 4GB of PNY DDR2 800 onto her, which made a bit of a difference but still not that much.

Back about 2 years ago, before I had the quadcore, I bought for $25, an Intel E2200 2.2Ghz dual core (Core2Duo / Pentium Dual-Core). Its been sitting in a drawer, exposed, with food chocolate wrappers and crumbs all over it. Then I also had a motherboard, a Gigabyte GA-EX38-DS4, Socket 775 X38 chipset board.

The X38 Gigabyte board died on me in 2008, I flashed the bios, and then when it rebooted, it started this reboot cycle thing. It would start, run for 10 seconds, then shutdown, never displaying anything. It was never a good overclocker anyway so when it did this, I didn't even try fixing it, I just went out and bought the ASUS ROG Rampage Formula X48, which has been easily one of the most insanely good overclocking boards I've ever had.

So I get this X38, hook it up, drop the old 8800GT into it, and try to boot it. Same deal two years later, just reboot cycles. Spent two hours googling problems and trying them. Finally tried this:

Connect everything, remove all but 1 ram stick and insert it in slot 3, disconnect power, remove CMOS battery for one minute, use a screwdriver to short the two battery contacts inside the battery carrier, put battery back in, boot.

Now interestingly, the clear CMOS jumper did NOT work, taking the battery out for less than a minute didn't either. So now, after this, boot the machine, and its golden!

So I insert everything into the case, hook it all up, add the second RAM stick, boot, and it doesn't boot. After trying a few things, disconnecting the IDE CD-ROM solved that and it booted fine.

Boot windows, install drivers, flash BIOS to latest version, all up and running.

So then, boot into BIOS, turn power management off, clock it from 200x11 to 266x11, with a very slight voltage bump.

Booted perfectly. So upped it to 300x11 (3.33Ghz), Once again all good.

So I backed it down to 2.93Ghz, let it run folding GPU2 on the 8800GT + F@H single core, and it topped out at 50C completely rock solid. The Arctic Silver 5 is still breaking in so it will likely drop a bit more yet, but so far its great.

So in the end:

Socket 775 X38 Dual-PCI-E Full ATX Motherboard (Gigabyte GA-EX38-DS4)
4GB (2GBx2) DDR2-800 Dual Channel
NVidia 8800GT 512MB
Core2Duo E2200 @ 2.93Ghz Dual Core
80GB hard disk

Total cost: $3 for Arctic Silver 5

Mother is happy, and is celebrating with eBay Tupperware shopping.
Running Fedora 15 Linux (GNOME 3)
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Drivers, Games, Demos, Mods and Overclocking Tools At AOAFiles
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 22nd May, 2010, 05:39 PM
Metal Wizard

Hmmmmm?

Does this explain your ever higher folding output??

Hey thats terrific that you were able to bring the board back from the edge of death. Should be a significantly faster system with more folding power!!

I love it when I bring back an allegedly dead system...Very satifying

Nice job of studying and deducing dsio
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 22nd May, 2010, 06:19 PM
Steve Jobs

Don't know why it is, but motherboards I own never quite die, they just take a holiday. They ALWAYS come to life with enough poking eventually. My 8K3A was the same, and I was telling Gizmo about that immediately before this.

One of the beautiful things about the internet, if you've got a problem, chances are so do 50 other people, one of which has the answer.
Running Fedora 15 Linux (GNOME 3)
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Drivers, Games, Demos, Mods and Overclocking Tools At AOAFiles
Old 23rd May, 2010, 03:14 AM
Metal Wizard

Speaking of back from the dead

You know I was poking around today in my dead pile and stumbled onto a Epox 4pda2+ Now it is not the +2Ver.2 which was the mad ripper from Epox but, it is still an excellent board. It had 2 sticks of G.Skill DDR 400
plugged into it and a 2.8 P-4 northwood C plugged into also. I hooked it up on the desk and it works!! So soon it will join the fold. I gave the HP AMD to a 8 year old boy who sinply can't afford another computer. He plays World of Warcraft so the old AMD 2200 will play it just fine for him.

So one leaves the fold and another joins.

Too much fun
Old 19th July, 2010, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weldzilla View Post
You know I was poking around today in my dead pile and stumbled onto a Epox 4pda2+ Now it is not the +2Ver.2 which was the mad ripper from Epox but, it is still an excellent board. It had 2 sticks of G.Skill DDR 400
plugged into it and a 2.8 P-4 northwood C plugged into also. I hooked it up on the desk and it works!! So soon it will join the fold. I gave the HP AMD to a 8 year old boy who sinply can't afford another computer. He plays World of Warcraft so the old AMD 2200 will play it just fine for him.

So one leaves the fold and another joins.

Too much fun
That's quite impressive information. I learn so much here. I really wanted to gain more information about computers. Thank God found this place.